Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119365 - 08/14/09 12:16 AM Stove Talk
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
More gear talk!
I was hoping to find personal opinions about what stoves you all migth use. Include any data you can about the stove if you can or want to.
I use a side burner soda can stove and a cat stove. Both boil water around 4 minutes or so.Cat stove uses 15ml of fuel o boil and the soda can uses a little more. I have failed to "simmer" either of the stoves yet.
Which is why I am thinking of getting a white gas stove to try and "cook" with it but read not many of the white gas stoves can "simmer", is this true?
Not a fan of canister, but I am thinking of getting one(pocket rocket it giga?)

Thanks,
Ryan

#119370 - 08/14/09 07:19 AM Re: Stove Talk [Re: Bushman]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've used a bunch of stoves over the years: Svea, Whisperlite, Snow Peak Gigapower, Pocket Rocket, Superfly, Crux, Simmerlite, Jetboil, Trangia/Clikstand, Wind Pro, and probably a couple I've forgotten.

They've all performed well, which is to say they do a really good job of boiling water. I've been looking for that elusive "perfect" stove. I'm slowly realizing that there is no such thing - but I'm not quite ready to give up the search! blush

#119375 - 08/14/09 09:31 AM Re: Stove Talk [Re: Glenn]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
IMO there is a perfect stove for each trip, but not one for all trips.

The stove I use most often is the Caldera cone.

#119378 - 08/14/09 10:59 AM Re: Stove Talk [Re: ringtail]
Kieran Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
for what it's worth, one of the things that is influencing my next stove purchase is CO2 output. because I'm going to be doing some winter camping, which means cooking in my vestibule, i want to be sure I don't poison myself. backpackinglight.com had a very good, thorough, and scientific write-up on a bunch of different stoves and their CO2 output. because of that article, I'm going with a Snow Peak GS100

#119381 - 08/14/09 11:13 AM Re: Stove Talk [Re: Bushman]
lori Offline

Make a second cat stove with fewer holes. Google simmer cat for example.

The thing about white gas stoves I have seen in operation - they have many parts, they are heavy, and are essentially bunsen burners. Folks I see using them don't cook either. The cooking I see is typically being done over canister stoves like the Jetboil - the group kit comes with all kinds of stuff like a coffee maker and skillet.

I use a wick alcohol stove for simmering - it can be set high or low with a little fiddling. This is my solution for steam baking when I want to bother with biscuits. I also have a simmer cat, but the truth is, I just boil 99% of the time, and plan meals to suit that style. I sometimes boil in bag with foodsaver (nylon lined with polyethylene) bags.

Were I in the market for a stove for cooking, I would be looking at the MSR Windpro. Low (not tippy as an on-canister stove), can use a windscreen (canister stoves suck up the fuel like a mutha in wind), and nice wide burner.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119401 - 08/14/09 06:39 PM Re: Stove Talk [Re: Bushman]
Bushman Offline

Boiling water is number one, and it hard to miss with any stove. The main importance is fuel efficiency. The soda can stove i just got uses just around 20-25ml of fuel to boil 2cups. The cat stove i made uses 15ml. The con of my cat stove needs a pot stand, the soda doesn't. Today i baked bread using both stoves. I also got the cat stove to "simmer" by adding a strip on foil blocking the air holes, to make it burn long i am going to JB weld a round piece of oven liner to seal the bottom.
I am not sure if ill get a white gas just because of all the thing that can fail on it. Which is why I am still not ruling out the canister stoves either. I have never be winter camping or touring i hear that canister stoves dont perform well at cold temps, can anyone provide more information on this?

#119501 - 08/17/09 04:11 PM Re: Stove Talk [Re: Bushman]
Bushman Offline

Just made a new alcohol stove yesterday.
It is made from some the 5oz cans. I added some insulation in the bottom and it works great. I can boil water with 15-20ml of fuel. It has basically the same fuel efficiency as the larger cat stove. The main plus is it uses a smaller pot stand that can fit in the pot i use.

#119513 - 08/17/09 07:16 PM Re: Stove Talk [Re: Bushman]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Bushman,

That's really nice work--very clean and neat. I'm impressed!

I have quite a bit of WG stove experience and find most can be coaxed into simmering in support of "real" cooking as compared to boiling a lot of water. The ones least inclined to are those that use the "roarer" style burner that shoot the vapor straight at a burner plate, like the venerable MSR XGK. They're fine for boiling a lot of water or melting a lot of snow with minimal attention from the user.

Whisper and Simmerlite style stoves require finesse with fuel pressure and valve adjustment, but either will simmer. Generally this means low pressure in the tank and additional pumping if running it for extended periods. They have wide burner heads that spread the flame well, reducing hot spots and scorching.

With canister stoves, the burner head has a big influence on how it will cook. Wide heads that emit from the sides are easier than narrow heads that emit straight up (i.e., blowtorch). Remote versus screw into the cartridge is a whole other topic.

Finally, it's also possible to simmer with a Trangia burner that has the rotating cover. Not easy, but possible.

cheers,

#119538 - 08/18/09 05:54 PM Re: Stove Talk [Re: Rick_D]
Bushman Offline

Ha ha yeah that pic is from zen stoves. Should have said that.

mine looks no where near that pro.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum