Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119340 - 08/13/09 10:25 AM help on buying new pack
jasonADK Offline

Loc: NY
Im looking to buy my first internal frame backpack im looking at the deuter ACT lite 50+10 my question is My torso is21.5". The pack is rated for 15"-21" should I go up in size for my pack of is that half an inch not going to make any dif

#119341 - 08/13/09 12:07 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
The only way to know for sure is to try the pack on. You can do this with on-line purchases by ordering both sizes and returning the one that is too small/large. Of course if you have a store handy with both sizes, the problem is much less. Check to be sure the merchant has a return policy if you are buying on-line. When you try the pack on, it should contain your gear plus an amount of extra weight corresponding to your average food/water load.

Don't be afraid to try on a lot of packs. You may wind up spending money on return postage but it is better than spending even more money on an unsuitable pack.

Don't buy a pack based solely on the features listed in the sales description; these can often be sewn on later if deemed necessary. Buy the pack for fit and comfort and get one a little bit bigger than you will ordinarily need. That way you won't need to stuff the pack if you take a longer than normal trip. Beware of features that you won't use. A pack with all of the bells and whistles is not much good if it doesn't fit you comfortably. Ice axe loops, for example, add weight and are not much use if you never use an ice axe.

I would put a lot of time and effort into researching your pack purchase. There are dozens of pack manufacturers and you should check as many as possible. Otherwise, you risk spending a lot of money on something that won't work. Again, trying packs on is really the only way to be sure one of them will work for you. If there is not a good outdoor store near you, a trip to a larger city that has one would not be a bad investment in time or money.

#119344 - 08/13/09 01:24 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just got that pack a month or so ago, after unsuccessfully trying to use the Osprey Exos. The ACT Lite pack produced an immediate "Wow" when I loaded my gear into it and tried it on.

However, I don't think it comes in different sizes (if I'm reading the website correctly.) I know the store where I bought it didn't ask about size. Instead, it has an adjustable suspension to fit everyone in that range.

My torso size is right at 21"; for illustration, when I used a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack, I was at the top end of the medium length, and the bottom end of the long length. I ended up choosing the long length, because the medium didn't feel right.

After we got the Deuter all dialed in, I could have made the suspension longer, probably by half an inch or an inch. (It uses a ladder-type adjustment panel to lengthen or shorten the suspension. So, my guess is it will fit you OK.

What you might want to do is buy it at at a local store, if possible. Load it with your gear (not sandbags), and see if you can get it to fit properly. If there is no local store, be sure to order it from a dealer who will let you return it for a full refund if it doesn't fit. That way, all you're out is the shipping.

#119352 - 08/13/09 07:17 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
jasonADK Offline

thanks for the help guys, yea im pretty sure it only comes in one size that ranges from 15-21" for the torso. I dont really have anything around here for buying packs other than dicks sporting goods Im trying to stay right around $150 for a pack. seen as how most of my hiking i just wear my camelbak daypack. i just want something for that price range

#119356 - 08/13/09 08:43 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
NoseDog Offline

Loc: NorCal
I just got the same pack.

I've heard that you can squeeze an extra inch or so of torso length, but have not tried this myself.

Normally the velcro adjustments are supposed grab several (3?) loops. By grabbing one less loop, you can get an extra 1" or so in length.

Of course, use your common sense if you do this, your mileage may vary, I'm not a lawyer, enter at your own risk, yada, yada, yada, and e pluribus unum.

#119407 - 08/14/09 09:22 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
jasonADK Offline

I just decided to go with the z55 cuz of all the hype and the great price if it doesnt fit ill go with the deuter again. one last question I bought a backpacking tent but when its pack man its awfully long is it just me or are some "backpack" tents not ment for backpacking

Edited by jasonADK (08/14/09 09:35 PM)

#119413 - 08/14/09 11:06 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
Glenn Offline

What kind of tent? Except for the Tarptent Rainbow, where the cross piece is more or less a permanent part of the tent, all the tents I've ever owned can be repacked (usually into two smaller stuff sacks instead of the long narrow one it came in.) The two sacks are much easier to pack, and keep a wet fly separate from a drier (maybe) inner tent. Also, the pole bags are long, but usually fit vertically into one corner of the pack, or lashed outside along one side of the pack. You don't have to keep the pole bag inside the tent bag. (I apologize if this comes across as talking down to you. I wasn't sure how new you were to all of this.)

By the way, I tried on a Z55; it sure felt comfortable. Somehow, I couldn't find a good way to get all my gear in it conveniently. So, I chose the Deuter instead. I've seen a lot of Z55's - let us know how it works for you.

Edited by Glenn (08/14/09 11:10 PM)

#119420 - 08/15/09 10:37 AM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
jasonADK Offline

I never even thought of seperating the tent. and as for the talking down to me no i didnt take it that way i am BRAND NEW. I love hiking so much I figured I would get the gear to stay out for a few day at a time. im afraid of the size of this pack i hope its bigg enough to carry more than just stuff for a one day hike if not looks like itll be getting donated and a larger pack will be purchased and i can start all over on my pack research

#119426 - 08/15/09 08:08 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: jasonADK]
Glenn Offline

The pack should be plenty big - if you choose the rest of your gear well. That probably means a one-person tent (MSR Hubba, any of a number of Big Agnes offerings, a Tarptent, etc.), down sleeping bag, single-pot kitchen, and minimal spare clothing. Such selection will also hold the weight down - and I'd guess that the Z55 will be most comfortable with a load of 20 - 30 pounds.

Although I'm not trying to say my gear choices are better than anyone else's (they're not - but they're good for me), I'd be glad to send you a copy of my list if you'll PM me with you email address. I hike in the East, in conditions that may be fairly close to those you'll be in, so it might be a good starting point for you, even though you might end up making different specific gear choices than I did.

#119428 - 08/15/09 08:29 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: Glenn]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
What we usually advise beginners is get everything else first, then get a pack that will hold it all. But, since you have the pack already, not to worry. The tent can be tied to the outside of the pack in most cases. Not sure about your pack, but someone with one can tell you how to do that. Same for pads and sometimes for bear canisters if you are carrying one. (Don't worry about a bear canister for the moment, focus on getting the rest of your stuff.)

If you let us know where you will be hiking and what time of year, and kind of weather you will encounter, we can suggest other items.

Look at the gear lists linked from the main page of the site (not the forums, the main page of TLB itself) to see typical items for different applications. Also look as some of the vendors who offer a lot of different stoves, bags, etc.

DON't buy stuff willy nilly just because it looks cool or someone else here has it. Backpacking involves building a system where everything works together-clothes, shelter, cooking. Buying stuff at random will do nothing but load up your closet and keep you busy selling unwanted gear on eBay.

#119504 - 08/17/09 05:13 PM Re: help on buying new pack [Re: TomD]
jasonADK Offline

I hike in the adirondacks all year long none of the mountians are too huge but summers are pretty hot and winters are pretty cold!! Im thinking about tackling the 46 high peaks list I already have a few of them under my belt

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum