Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119167 - 08/09/09 08:22 PM How snug is your mummy bag?
Kieran Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
hey folks - so far i've been doing some canoe based camping to get into the backwood, and have been able to get away with a heavier square cut bag for summer. but now i'm shopping for a winter bag for some hikes, and wondering about snugness. normal bags have a shoulder girth of about 60", and on my large frame and shoulder girth of 55", this is quite snug. So I was looking at some Big Agnes bags cause they have a shoulder girth of 70". However since I'm looking at winter (0*) bags, I want to be sure I'm not getting too loose there. The problem is that the 60" feels a bit claustrophobic. Am I being a wimp about the 60" bags? What kind of clearance do you normally have?

thanks!!

#119171 - 08/09/09 09:47 PM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: Kieran]
Jon Offline

Loc: Missouri Ozarks
I can't use less than 64". Any smaller, I get claustrophobic. I can't wear a lot of clothing inside the bag for the same reason. I'm about 5' 11" 200 Lbs. The 64" bags I have now are both Western Mountaineering. I've never measured my shoulder girth, so I just asked my wife to get the tape (53"). If at all possible just try the bags out in person which may be next to impossible if you don't have a store that stocks the bags you are looking at. 0* is pretty cold. Make sure it will keep you warm enough, but comfortable. What is uncomfortable is waking up in the middle of the night feeling claustrophobic. Been there done that. I couldn't handle a 60" WM bag, because the 62" felt too small. A 70" for someone my size would seem way to big. I'm hardly ever out to less than 20 degrees, and my coldest bag is rated for that temperature and it works well.

What really helped me out in really cold weather was wearing something on the head that will stay put while you sleep. Pick your poison, but make sure it is warm and will not come off during the night.

Make sure you are really prepared and know what you are doing before you venture out into cold weather.

Jon

#119172 - 08/09/09 10:21 PM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: Jon]
Kieran Offline

Thanks Jon - that's perfect info. And yeah, I'm not underestimating the winter hike at all. I did one when I was in Boy Scouts around age 13... I'm not sure if I didn't listen or if no one warned about the hardships of winter camp, but I ended up going out to camp with the troop in 6 inches of snow, night time temps of probably about 10 or 15, with a 40* bag and some blankets. I've never shivered so much or gotten up to pee so much in my life! lol I was wearing probably 5 layers of clothes, my bag, and several layers of blankets.

I learned two very important lessons that night: the importance of a properly rated bag and the importance of good ground insulation (I think I might have actually had enough top insulation, it was the snow under me that was getting me probably). Never to underestimate that again - just glad I survived the night so that I could learn that lesson. (and reason #239 that now that my son is in scouts, he'll never be doing the camps without me)

#119226 - 08/11/09 04:13 AM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: Kieran]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Check out our Winter Camping forum for advice on bags. A bag that is too big will take more body heat to keep warm in since there will be more air to warm up. That is the theory anyway. I like a long bag even though I am only 5'10. I hate having my feet all the way at the end. I've been advised to get a shorter bag, advice I intend to ignore.

Sounds like you needed a good pad. I use two-a closed cell Ridgerest under a Thermo-Rest. Some people carry a DAM, a down filled air mattress.

For winter camping tips, get a copy of Allen & Mike's Backcountry Ski Book. Much of it is about camping and well worth the price even if you aren't interested in skiing. I got mine from Amazon for about $10.

Winter camping is a whole different world as you found out. You can die if you screw up and aren't prepared. Don't mean to be too dramatic, but every year we read about rescues of unprepared winter campers and hikers. It's not rocket science, but it does take a certain level of skill and gear, more so than your average summer weekend where almost anything will do. For example, I think I need a serious winter tent. Some people don't, but I camp alone, so I like having a nice sturdy tent, even if I do have to drag it along (literally, since I ski with a sled).

Anyway, a good bag is just the start for putting together a winter kit. Any more questions, about winter, please post them in the winter forum. It helps to keep them from getting lost in the mix.

#119236 - 08/11/09 12:08 PM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: TomD]
Kieran Offline

Thanks Tom!

#119267 - 08/11/09 07:50 PM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: Kieran]
TomD Offline

One more thing. For winter, buy the best bag you can afford, even if it means spending less on some other things. Sometimes you can find great winter bags on eBay or Craigslist (my preference). The reason is that people will buy a bag for one trip, then sell it (like a once in a lifetime trip to Denali) or they try winter camping and realize they don't like it. I got my winter parka that way-like new, half price with one bid on eBay. The reason is simple-not many eBay shoppers need a parka good to -20F. The same is true of bags.

Edited by TomD (08/11/09 07:50 PM)

#119279 - 08/11/09 11:14 PM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: TomD]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
They obviously don't live in Minnesota or Wisconsin. lol This past winter I had to wait a couple of mornings until it warmed up a little to go skiing since -24F weather isn't my first choice for recreational skiing, but if I'd waited for the day to get even as warm as 0F I'd have never gotten out on the trails.

Edited by thecook (08/11/09 11:16 PM)

#119291 - 08/12/09 02:33 AM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: thecook]
TomD Offline

Or Canada. The people on wintertrekking.com go out regularly in -30C weather, but they use hot tents with stoves in them, which is a whole different kind of camping.

#119334 - 08/12/09 11:13 PM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: TomD]
Kieran Offline

yeah not so sure i'm crazy enough for -24 yet... here in ohio, -5 is something to talk about, luckily wink

#119380 - 08/14/09 11:13 AM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: Kieran]
Jon Offline

Loc: Missouri Ozarks
The bag I use is a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. It is rated for 20* which is a meaningless number to me. Although I can take it down to 15* and be comfortable, my wife is the opposite. She has to have a bag that has a much colder rating. If its 30 or 40 out, she'll take a 15* bag. Your better off, probably to take a little "extra bag" than to have less. But for me, I've been sleeping out in the woods a long time and am comfortable with what I carry.

You may not need a 0* bag for your area, but I am not familiar with it. We have pretty mild winters in Missouri and Arkansas. In Northern Arkansas, 7o* days are not uncommon in December. Not a whole lot of moisture.

I use a 1.5" Thermarest Prolite while on the trail. Sometimes with a thin 1/8" foam mat underneath it.

I'm not advertising for Western Mountaineering or Thermarest. It's just what I have found that works well for me. I am unfamiliar with other mfg's.

Try the stuff out in the backyard before you head out. If it fails, a hot cup of coffee is a few steps away.

Jon

#119405 - 08/14/09 07:09 PM Re: How snug is your mummy bag? [Re: Jon]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
What i would do is go to REI or an outdoor store an ask if you can try out some bags. Find out the right width and then go online and get one. That what I did. Also for temp of bag to get, determine how cold or warm you sleep. I go a 20* bag because i wanted something i could use all the time. My bag has a foot zipper, nice on warmer nights.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum