Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119161 - 08/09/09 03:27 PM Campmor Backpacker Poncho
bluepelican Offline

Loc: Michigan
I was considering buying of these ponchos for an upcoming trip to the Smokies and was wondering if anyone has ever used one of them before. If so, would you recommend them?

#119162 - 08/09/09 03:47 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: bluepelican]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I have used one. They work but are not lightweight by today's considerations.
If you are thinking lightweight and packable, look at either Mountain Laurel Designs or Gossamer Gear. Of course, you will pay more.

If it's just a matter of coverage in a passing shower, some of the cheap vinyl disposables in garish colors will also work . . .

#119165 - 08/09/09 05:13 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: bluepelican]
bluepelican Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've tried using a normal poncho, but they're too small and leave about a foot of my pack and sleeping pad exposed. I'm wondering how well a piece of a plastic painters drop cloth with a strap to secure it would work.

#119166 - 08/09/09 05:31 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: bluepelican]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Look at the Sea To Summit poncho - it seems to be the longest I've used, and the least in need of a cord around the waist. The Integral Designs Silponcho is also very good (probably my favorite poncho), but my not be long enough for you in back.

Having said that, I've pretty well given up on ponchos. I find I prefer a rain jacket and pants, mostly because they can double as wind garments. In the end, the only real solution to rain is to get out of it. I've never stayed completely dry in the rain in either a poncho or a rain suit, but they're a whole lot better than nothing.

#119193 - 08/10/09 02:10 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: Glenn]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
I use a nylon backpackers pancho I purchased at a local sporting good store. Its long enough to cover my pack or clip up when its just for me. I also wear my wind shirt which is water resistant underneath if its windy and raining. Works pretty well. Campmor sells a sil nylon verion thats 20$ more but 1/2 a lb lighter. seems like a good price for a sil nylon with webbing sewn in. The sea to summit sil nylon pancho is longer so would cover more but almost double the price.
silnylon pancho

#119213 - 08/10/09 10:45 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: Cesar]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
I use a six moon design gatewood cape for my rain/snow protection and as a tarp. As far as the poncho part, i do like but i have only used in snow not rain. As the shelter goes its great!

11oz give or take.

#119214 - 08/10/09 10:46 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: bluepelican]
strongone Offline

Loc: North Carolina
i have used both the coated fabric and silnylon. the coated version is water proof and the silnylon is water resistant. believe me in a heavy downpour i want waterproof. silnylon becomes saturated with water and ends up weighing more than coated.

a poncho is the one item that goes on all my trips. i use it for cook fly and general rain protection. ever tried using a rain suit for cook fly or pack cover? ever pulled out a rain suit to sit on and prepare a meal? ever had to cover over a leaking tent with a rain suit?

now don't get me wrong, i carry a rain suit as well but for an extra layer for cool weather and walking thru wet high grass and course if it's raining or snowing.

#119220 - 08/11/09 12:01 AM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: bluepelican]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I had good luck with the Dri Ducks Poncho. Cheap, light and fairly durable. Since it's breathable it doubles as an extra sleeping layer at night. Last summer I used it in rain every day for 5 straight days. My pack remained bone dry. Just don't use this poncho for bushwhacking.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119255 - 08/11/09 04:56 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: bluepelican]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
17 oz is heavy for a poncho, even a full length one. My Golite poncho is about 10 oz or so, and one I bought from Campmor a couple years ago isn't as long but is 2 - 3 oz lighter than that.

I'm not positive all of these are still sold, but if you really want to survey the field, search for specs and prices (and reviews) on some of these too:
- Integral Designs Silponcho
- Sierra Designs Hurricane poncho
- Equinox Terrapin Poncho
- Bozeman Mountain Works SpinPoncho
- Poncho Villa from Antigravity Gear
- Mountain Laurel Designs MLD Pro Poncho
- Stephenson’s Warmlite Poncho
- make your own, for example patterns for Poncho and Parcho at Questoutfitters.com

#119268 - 08/11/09 07:58 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: bluepelican]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here's a link to the shorter version of the poncho to which Cesar posted the link. This one is 8 ounces, $39.95.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20256

#119304 - 08/12/09 11:56 AM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: DJ2]
BrianLe Offline

Yup, I have one of those I bought from Campmor 2 - 3 years ago, about the right weight, looks the same. I'm literally carrying it on a trip that I'm leaving for today in fact. All the specs look exactly the same, though it was listed at 7 oz when I bought it, and I weighed it to be 7.7 oz.

The only downside with the one I have is that the snaps are really, really stiff. First time I tried to open one I thought I'd lose a fingernail, and ultimately got a knife blade to force them open. So I think twice or thrice before taking the time and effort to open this up as a tarp, generally just carry it on trips where I only anticipate using it in poncho mode.

I have no idea if this is a problem on models sold today or not.

#119310 - 08/12/09 03:01 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: strongone]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I don't think what you have is silnylon. A great test to find out(because silnylon "is" waterproof) is take a cup and force enough of the silnylon into the cup so that you can leave a couple of ounces in the portion that you push down into the cup. Leave it over night and if any water drips into the cup at all (through the nylon) you "do not have silnylon" That's what I was told and I did do the test myself on several fabrics and it worked flawlessly on the silnylon...sabre11004.. goodjob

#119328 - 08/12/09 08:41 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: BrianLe]
DJ2 Offline

I agree with the snap comment.

My wife and I bought a couple several years ago. Feels like the fabric might tear before the snaps open if you pull on the fabric only.

#119332 - 08/12/09 10:58 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: sabre11004]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
Originally Posted By sabre11004
(because silnylon "is" waterproof)

I may be wrong but I always thought silnylon is not water proof but pretty darn close. Any small amount of pressure will push water beads through silnyon which is why sometimes in hard rain you get misting under a silnylon tarp. It may not in your test but an oz or two is not enough pressure to go through.

Here is a good article on keeping your gear dry and info on silnylon stuff sacks.
Keeping your Critical Gear Dry

#119424 - 08/15/09 07:39 PM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: DJ2]
BrianLe Offline

One thing that occurred to me about those too-stiff snaps this trip was that there are little silnylon fabric tabs set kind of annoyingly right where you want the snaps to go, i.e., I typically have to fiddle a bit to push them out of the way to get the snaps closed.

So it just occurred to me (picture bell ringing and light bulb appearing over head) that the little tabs are intended to go between the snaps to make it easier to open them. Kind of weird if so, but I tried with one such tab in a snap and it did close that way --- I was in a hurry at the time and didn't stop to see if it therefore opened more easily, but ... maybe.

#119430 - 08/16/09 12:06 AM Re: Campmor Backpacker Poncho [Re: BrianLe]
DJ2 Offline

Very clever observation.

I tried it and it is much better. Snaps open easily.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum