Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119150 - 08/09/09 08:14 AM Pack recommendation for injured shoulders?
seanadams Offline

Loc: California
I am going to thru-hike the AT next year and looking for advice on a backpack. I have recently had AC joint resection surgery on both sides. They have healed reasonably well and I have full range of motion, but strength is only 80% of before, and I have to be very careful about overworking them or impacting the joint (eg digging, mountain biking).

I do day hikes frequently and am OK with a small pack, but have not worn a fully loaded overnight pack in a few years. Obviously I am concerned about keeping weight on the hips to minimizing vertical load on the shoulders, but also wondering if there are other considerations... for example are there packs that pull more against the chest for front/back stabilization instead of on the shoulders? I feel like I would prefer to meet with an expert and get fitted in person but I'm not sure where to start.

#119152 - 08/09/09 10:06 AM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: seanadams]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
One possibility is the Luxurylite. I just did a backpacking trip and enjoyed the zero down pressure and only periodic front pressure on my shoulders. Of course the fact that there was no contact against my back other than occasional touching was also nice in the daytime warmth.

www.luxurylite.com

(No, I have no formal connections to the company -- just a happy customer).

#119153 - 08/09/09 11:27 AM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: Keith]
seanadams Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for the quick reply! It sure has some good reviews, and he seems to have thought pretty hard about the design. The front pack as a counter-weight seems like a sound idea in this case (even if it looks odd).

Do you think the lightweight fabric is up to the task? I suppose one of the bags could be ordered in the heavier fabric for carrying heavy/odd items? Maybe put that one on the bottom to take the wear when the pack is set down.

#119156 - 08/09/09 11:50 AM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: seanadams]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've been using a front bag to counterweight my pack for about 10 years now. It really takes away any strain from my shoulders. For example I don't need to lean forward to keep things in balance.

You can see my home made version of this principle in the Make Your Own section of this website. Look for DJs 1 lb pack or something like that title.

One of the hardest things on the shoulders (and back), in my opinion, is the twisting and pulling associated with putting the pack on. I've tweaked myself a couple of times when I've been in a hurry and mounted the pack quickly and awkwardly.

#119163 - 08/09/09 03:51 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: seanadams]
Keith Offline

Originally Posted By seanadams
Do you think the lightweight fabric is up to the task? I suppose one of the bags could be ordered in the heavier fabric for carrying heavy/odd items? Maybe put that one on the bottom to take the wear when the pack is set down.

The lighter fabric is effective in the field but more likely to get punctured in civilization by cramming in your trunk or having other gear piled on it. I have 4 LL-made packs and would say get the heavier fabric -- at least for the bottom. That way you don't have to think about avoiding puncture opportunities like sharp rocks or thorns. The lighter fabric is perfectly strong and durable. It is just a bit more susceptible to puncture.

#120080 - 08/30/09 01:23 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: seanadams]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
I have a camptrails frame pack. I took a wheel and fork from a

small bicycle and hooked it on the frame so I could wheel the

pack like a moving cart on the trail or remove the wheel and

hitch up the straps to carry over rough ground.

#120088 - 08/30/09 05:09 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: chimpac]
Keith Offline

Originally Posted By chimpac
I have a camptrails frame pack. I took a wheel and fork from a small bicycle and hooked it on the frame so I could wheel the pack like a moving cart on the trail or remove the wheel and hitch up the straps to carry over rough ground.

Definitely a creative approach that would be effective especially in getting heavy stuff from point A to point B. I wonder if it would become tiresome on a longer multi-day or multi-week hike.

Of course, there are some places in the U.S. where they would be illegal: no wheels are allowed in official designated Wilderness areas.

#120092 - 08/31/09 12:32 AM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: seanadams]
CWF Offline

You may want to consider a custom type pack, where you could have a specific shoulder harness designed for your needs. Perhaps a Mchale (www.mchalepacks.com) or a Mystery Ranch (www.mysteryranch.com). These packs are ideal as well for moving the weight from your shoulders to your hips.

#120093 - 08/31/09 12:48 AM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: chimpac]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I have a camptrails frame pack. I took a wheel and fork from a

small bicycle and hooked it on the frame so I could wheel the

pack like a moving cart on the trail or remove the wheel and

hitch up the straps to carry over rough ground.

But one end of the "cart" is held up by the user's arms. Which attach to the body at the shoulders. Weight on the arms is weight on the shoulders. Not the best thing for the AC joint.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#120099 - 08/31/09 09:46 AM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: Trailrunner]
chimpac Offline

About 2% to 10% of the weight might be on the arms and shoulders.

#120206 - 09/02/09 07:47 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: chimpac]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
About 2% to 10% of the weight might be on the arms and shoulders.

Do you have exact numbers to support that claim?

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#120211 - 09/02/09 09:02 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: seanadams]
lori Offline

The AARN pack has some potential. Might be worth a look or even an email or a call.
http://www.aarnpacks.com/features/multifunction.html#fs

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#120216 - 09/02/09 09:46 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: Trailrunner]
chimpac Offline

The top crossbar is against the front of my legs and I am

pushing. My arms are near or fully extended and holding the

outer edges of the frame. The pack is mostly ballanced on the

wheel. The weight can be varied, higher the crossbar less

weight, lower the crossbar more weight. I have guessed at the

percentage. It works like a movers cart with 2 wheels, the

pan in front that is slid under the object to be moved,the

weight of the object is transfered to the cart by pulling

the handles back toward the operator.

Edited by chimpac (09/02/09 10:01 PM)
Edit Reason: add a word or two

#120231 - 09/03/09 12:23 AM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: lori]
Keith Offline

Originally Posted By lori
The AARN pack has some potential. Might be worth a look or even an email or a call.
http://www.aarnpacks.com/features/multifunction.html#fs

The difference between AARN and Luxurylite is that LL gives you ventillation whereas the AARN is like wearing a jacket. This has negatives both for summer sweating and compressing insulation in the winter.

#120274 - 09/03/09 07:21 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: seanadams]
Hobblit Offline

Loc: Vermont
My limited experienced is that you do need to be very careful with shoulder injuries. I suffered a shoulder injury setback due to a pack that was too long for my torso and overloaded.

You take the pack off and put it back on many times each day. That contributes a lot to stress on the shoulder joints. For that reason I advise that you keep the pack as light as possible, and be very mindful of how you put it on and take it off.

80% of your former strength is actually quite a lot. I don't think strength will be an issue.

Follow your doctor's recommendation about how much activity you can do at this point.

#120330 - 09/04/09 09:07 PM Re: Pack recommendation for injured shoulders? [Re: lori]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum