Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119034 - 08/03/09 10:52 PM planning a multi backpacking trip
damian kao Offline

Loc: United States
I am located in southern california and I am planning a trip around the west coast. I am actually gonna be moving to another country for a couple of years in September so I figure it would be a good time to go around and visit some friends. I plan to drive north to Washington, south-east to Utah, south to Arizona, then back to southern california. I'll be passing through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Arizona on the way. I am going alone by the way.

I want to do some backpacking in each state as I pass through them. Probably only 2 days at a time. I've done a little bit of camping when I was very young, but other than that, I really have no experience in it.

I am thinking of going to Joshua Tree and King's Canyon in California. What are some good places to go to in the other states that I'll be passing through? Beginner trail suggestions would be appreciated. I want to plan it out as completely as I can before I head out.

I am not the type of person that needs much on trips. I just got back from a European trip with a small backpack. So I am thinking about carrying no more than 20 pounds. Since I'll probably be dealing with different types of environments, what kind of gear do you guys recommend? Assuming that money is not a big concern.

Do I really need to buy a stove if I am just going to be out for 2 nights max?
How much water should a beginner bring for 2 days?
I was thinking about getting a hammock instead of a bivy. Would a hammock work in a dessert environment?

Edited by damian kao (08/03/09 11:20 PM)

#119047 - 08/04/09 10:27 AM Re: planning a multi backpacking trip [Re: damian kao]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
For Utah, try the Lake Catherine trail. It is very short and a good beginner trail. It is also close to I-15 and SLC. It is up Little Cottonwood Canyon. Or, you could go down to Zions, that is off of I-15 as well.

#119109 - 08/06/09 12:46 PM Re: planning a multi backpacking trip [Re: damian kao]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
A hammock won't work at all in the desert. In fact, I would avoid the desert completely this time of year, particularly as a beginner. Daytime temperatures at Joshua Tree will be over 100 degrees in the shade. Desert hiking is best from late fall to late winter.

As you work your way north you have literally hundreds of hikes in the Sierra to choose from. Personally, I would stay away from the crowds in the national parks and focus on lesser-known wilderness areas like Golden Trout, Dinkey Lakes and Emmigrant.

#119129 - 08/07/09 08:39 PM Re: planning a multi backpacking trip [Re: damian kao]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By damian kao

I am thinking of going to Joshua Tree and King's Canyon in California. What are some good places to go to in the other states that I'll be passing through? Beginner trail suggestions would be appreciated. I want to plan it out as completely as I can before I head out.

Kings Canyon is full of trails, but I'm not sure any of them will meet your needs - you will be doing a lot of climbing on many. Going to Sequoia would open up a number of options with easier grades. I would offer Long Meadow to Panther Gap to Mehrton Meadow to Alta Meadow, and on from the meadow cross country to Moose Lake, then back out. You could take a rigorous side trip to Alta Peak for the views from a base camp in Alta Meadow. There's also Pear Lake (from the same trailhead) for a good scenic overnight. Tons of options all over the park and surrounding wilderness areas - Jennie Lake loop is another great overnight. Ansel Adams wilderness has spectacular scenic vistas and is accessible from several directions - I just got back from a leg of the JMT starting in Yosemite and taking us through Ansel Adams. There are trailheads on the east and south sides of AA. Also Dinkey Lakes, Kaiser Wilderness (very close to each other) and Golden Trout (south of Sequoia).

Quote:
I am not the type of person that needs much on trips. I just got back from a European trip with a small backpack. So I am thinking about carrying no more than 20 pounds. Since I'll probably be dealing with different types of environments, what kind of gear do you guys recommend? Assuming that money is not a big concern.

I can only speak to hiking in the Sierras. 20 pounds for a beginner is light, and borderline dangerous if you are including food and water, and you do not have the skills to make the minimal gear work. In more extreme environments (the depths of snowy winter in mountains, for example) going light can be deadly. You'll need to do a lot of reading here, and check out the articles and gear lists posted on the mother site for this forum. I just got back from a five day trip I ended early - one of my group who claimed significant experience in backpacking showed up in shorts and t shirt, which he wore for the duration of the trip. It snowed on us and wind nearly blasted us off the map. Weather at elevation can change in a heartbeat. He spent most of a day inside his sleeping bag shivering. We took a shorter route to a different trailhead to get out.

Quote:
Do I really need to buy a stove if I am just going to be out for 2 nights max?
How much water should a beginner bring for 2 days?
I was thinking about getting a hammock instead of a bivy. Would a hammock work in a dessert environment?

You don't need a stove if you don't want/need hot food or beverages. You won't be able to build a fire in some locations (over 10,000 feet in most wilderness areas, over 9600 in Yosemite/SEKI... rules vary). You can make a pepsi can stove or supercat very easily for little to no investment - visit zenstoves.net for instructions on many different alcohol stoves.
You should bring a filter or water treatment. In areas where water is dangerous (near mines or industrial areas) or nonexistant (the desert) you will need to carry all your water, amount will vary - take how much you anticipate drinking during the day, add how much you will need for cooking or cleaning, and take a liter or two extra.

As for using hammocks... it depends on what you mean by "work." Hammocks can be used as bivies on the ground when you can't hang. I won't tell you that you can't hang in the desert, because I know that's been done before - it's possible to find places if you're creative. But as a hammocker I practice pitching the tarp on the ground, and study each route with an eye for terrain and possible reasons I might end up going to ground. Hammocks are a lot more versatile than tents in the respect that you can use them on hills, over brush or water, and even suspend them from rocks - I like my hammock in rain and even in wind. But not everyone hammocks all the time, every time. I do it as often as I can manage.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum