Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118733 - 07/25/09 08:32 PM Breakfast
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
What do you all eat for Breakfast? I know theres the usual granola, oat meal and such, but what else? I am curious to see some other alternatives. If you could, post the nutrition info, the important stuff that is.

Just trying to gather ideas for breakfast.
Thanks,
Ryan

#118738 - 07/25/09 11:54 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I usually eat homemade granola from a recipe I copped out of Recipes For A Small Planet, so many years ago I am embarrassed to recall.

However, in accordance with the fine old tradition of eating cold pizza for breakfast, you can eat whatever you darn well please for breakfast - any old thing that sounds good to you. No one else needs to know what that might be: instant grits and maple syrup or thai curried soup, it makes no never mind to me.

#118743 - 07/26/09 10:10 AM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I usually go with instant oatmeal or Cream of Wheat, with an occasional pancake breakfast. When I want to impress a woman, though, I'll make my "fruit-dumpling surprise," a recipe I adapted from a book called "The Hungry Hikers Book of Good Cooking" by Gretchen McHugh. It consists of rehydrated dried fruit in a brown sugar sauce with dumplings boiled on the surface.

It's fuel-intensive, but God is it good, and filling too. The dumplings soak up the sauce and fruit flavors on the outside, but are nice and fluffy on the inside. When I have the time I'll post it on the recipe thread.

#118746 - 07/26/09 11:42 AM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
For me, a hot breakfast is not always desirable. I rarely eat one at home, and I'm not much for eating a different menu on the trail. And finally, after on-and-off backpacking for decades, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really want to hit the trail with a 'filling' breakfast weighing in my gut.

So when I don't feel the need for a hot breakfast, I'll have a couple Logan bread bars and a cup or two of a mix of Carnation Instant breakfast, Nido, and instant coffee/expresso. All of which gives me lots of vitamins, minerals, fat and fiber and lots of calories without a heavy feeling.

FB

#118757 - 07/26/09 03:48 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
wandering_daisy Offline

If I am fishing I like to go out early and catch a fish - fried fish with cheesy potatoes.

#118764 - 07/26/09 05:32 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Fiddleback]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
My approach is similar to Fiddleback's --- no hot breakfast, I drink a protein shake and a trail bar, and add general lunch/snack fixings as desired.

#118767 - 07/26/09 07:11 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: BrianLe]
Bushman Offline

All great input. I also find i dont like a super filling breakfast. I am still looking for a breakfast that will be around 1000 calories and still not be super filling...i am still looking. So far a small bowl of any old oat meal with fruit and warmed bread with peanut butter is almost there. I would also put TVP in the oat meal for protein.

Fried fish would be a great breakfast!

I am also looking into trail baking for breakfast, like muffins and such. Though i am having trouble doing this with an alcohol stove. Cant get the stove to simmer, i am using a two piece cat stove.

#118774 - 07/26/09 09:59 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
I am the same as daisy; if I am going on a four day trip and I intend to fish where I am going then I will probably eat fish three or four times (once or twice a day) while I am up there. Not only is fish great for you, but it also saves on the amount of food you need to carry.

If that is the case then my wife and I, occasionally , as a little treat may carry in a few potatoes (baked the night before) and cook up some hash browns.

Most of the time it is just granola, oatmeal or pancakes. You can also look into the freeze dried eggs and bacon combination which isn't bad.

#118782 - 07/27/09 11:10 AM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Usually one of
Pop Tarts
Granola and Nido milk
Instant Oatmeal
Egg and Typhus (half a mountain house eggs with half an idahoan mashed potatoes)

Most of the time I like a hot breakfast, sometimes not. I mix and match to what I feel like, and whether or not I'm
trying to get up and start hiking quickly or sit around for a little bit and chill in the morning.

It also depends how cold it is smile

Browse my pictures

#118803 - 07/27/09 08:25 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
lori Offline

My favorite is mashed taters, sausage and egg. Instant taters, dehydrated sausage, egg mix.

Other favorites are really cheesy instant grits, lentil soup, miso soup, protein drink mix, or anything I feel like eating - sometimes I eat breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast. Just depends. A fresh trout makes good breakfast food also.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#118808 - 07/27/09 09:35 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: lori]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Instead of putting TVP in your oatmeal, try topping with nuts. Walnuts over oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, Pecans with oatmeal and maple syrup, Almonds and dates , the possibilities are endless and yummy!

#118815 - 07/27/09 10:54 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: thecook]
lori Offline

Who puts TVP in oatmeal????

I don't like oatmeal or TVP. Ew.

#118829 - 07/28/09 01:05 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Without exception, instant oatmeal and coffee/hot chocolate. It's my favorite meal. I just don't feel the same on the trail without a hot breakfast.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118837 - 07/28/09 04:07 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Trailrunner]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
Without exception, instant oatmeal and coffee/hot chocolate. It's my favorite meal. I just don't feel the same on the trail without a hot breakfast.

Yeah, but nothing gets you haulin' as fast and with as big a crash at the end as pop tarts and a litre of double strength coffee smile I don't do it very often because I can feel the effects (and I need to have some more healthy snacks to balance out the rush or I crash fast.. nothing like pure sugar!)

But for those days where I'm getting up early and doing 1000 meters of vertical in the morning, nothing else gets my fat tushy walking uphill as fast wink

Browse my pictures

#118840 - 07/28/09 05:57 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: lori]
Bushman Offline

Originally Posted By lori
Who puts TVP in oatmeal????

I don't like oatmeal or TVP. Ew.

Ha ha! I have now replaced the TVP with pecans, walnuts and brown sugar. My first meal after breakfast is something sugary to get an energy boost.

I also eat a mix of oatmeal and granola for breakfast, with powdered milk.

Still cant push my self to buy those dehydrated breakfasts, like the eggs.
Trail baking still eludes me!

Edited by Bushman (07/28/09 06:07 PM)

#118845 - 07/28/09 06:37 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
lori Offline

I've had periods where I practically lived on oatmeal. It makes me feel ill to think about it now. I usually have grits/polenta, potatoes with some rehydrated or dry meat of some kind, or instant egg mix - or fresh eggs, which actually keep for a few days on the trail if you can figure out how to package them in shell. Sometimes I just eat a trail bar of some kind. But I always have coffee.

#118860 - 07/29/09 08:33 AM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
It depends on how long I'm out on the trail. But I like to bring hard boil eggs for a few days of trail. A hunk of cheese with it is good, too. Carnation Instant breakfast (chocolate) with a Lara bar. Sometimes I bring bagels and smear it with p'butter or Nutella. If it's cold enough I bring cream cheese. I'm not a big breakfast eater.

#118870 - 07/29/09 01:30 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
Bushman Offline

Ate cream of wheat for breakfast this morning and I cant say I like it all that much...
But in a few days I am going to hike the Tahoe Rim, so Ill "test" all these breakfast ideas while I am out there. Ill have to try mashed potatoes for breakfast.

#118875 - 07/29/09 05:02 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: Bushman]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
just wanted to quickly comment about mashed potatoes. We found that adding extra water to freeze-dried dinners and adding instant mashed potatoes expanded it to make quite the filling dinner....better suited for the 2 persons it was advertised for.

#118879 - 07/29/09 05:47 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: swammie]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I think this will be nicer or not-as-nice depending on the freeze-dried dinner flavor.

I could also see this becoming a sort of stone soup situation: "I like it if I add some noodles, oh plus some meat, and I like to add in some flavoring and vegetables ..." smile

Seriously, I think it's a great idea to extend a pre-packaged meal in this way.

#118885 - 07/29/09 07:30 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: BrianLe]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
the boys used it to thicken the mix in order to smear it on a tortilla too. Spaghetti burrito is a favorite now!

#118887 - 07/29/09 08:24 PM Re: Breakfast [Re: swammie]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
When I did freeze-dried meals I use to extend them with Ramen noodles. But I think I like the mashed potato idea better...especially given the great flavors of the Idahoan instant mash...

Instant mash for breakfast is interesting too...

FB

#118894 - 07/30/09 12:40 AM Re: Breakfast [Re: Fiddleback]
phat Offline

The real key for me for mash for breakfast is I like to add in the pre-cooked and dehydrated mountain house egg and bacon things. (NOT regular powdered eggs.. yuck!)

If I don't have those I throw in a whack of real bacon bits - but I go out of my way to get the mountain house egg and bacon or egg with ham and peppers to put in it.

Half an idahoan packet, and half of a Mountain House Eggs with a cup and a half of boiling water added is perfect. I split them at half at home and put 'em in ziploc freezer bags for the trail.

(called "egg and typhus" on the trail with me due to a swedish friend who couldn't read "egg and taters" I wrote on the bag..)

Edited by phat (07/30/09 12:42 AM)
Browse my pictures

#118895 - 07/30/09 12:43 AM Re: Breakfast [Re: phat]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
How about adding a foil package of spam to instant ashed potatoes?

#118897 - 07/30/09 12:52 AM Re: Breakfast [Re: thecook]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By thecook
How about adding a foil package of spam to instant ashed potatoes?

It could work well, although for me, I'd probably have to ask for something with a little less spam in it. But that's just my taste wink
Browse my pictures

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum