Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118279 - 07/13/09 01:19 AM Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Saturday my buddy and I hiked up 2,000 ft in 4 miles to within 3 miles of Mt. Charleston, outside 'Vegas and camped in the meadows near the trail. It was a dry camp W/ all water hauled in by us. Light gear was the order of the day and my Contrail was in the pack.

Today we climbed Charleston. It's 11,930 ft. and the tallest moutain in S. Nevada, third tallest in the state, a state with 46 mountain ranges!

With the flint-like scree we constantly encountered, both on the trail and on the mountain I found my Danner mid-weight hiking boots were just perfect, giving me the protection I needed. My buddy Jack had light hikers and did have a few problems with rocks punishing him through his shoes but he felt the lighter weight was worth it. To each his own.

Nearing the summit we were forced to put on wind gear. I had a PacLite GTX parka which
worked fine, as well as in the rain the first day.

I'd say the fact that both of us had fully synthetic clothes helped with drying quickly on Saturday and being fairly wind resistant on the mountain Sunday. It was 40 F and windy on the mountain but 108 and calm in Las Vegas today. What a difference.

One item I liked a lot was my REI Flash summit pack/stuffsack. Just big enough for essentials and light enough to use as a stuff sack. I hid my backpack near the campsite and used the Flash for summiting.

I realized was that I REALLY needed to scrutinize my equipment more closely. I had some redundant items that will not go along next time I'm peak bagging. Hauling that stuff up 2,000 ft. and 50+ switchbacks in 4 miles (before even getting to base camp)is a reminder to go over items with a fine tooth comb - and a postal scale.

Eric

#118280 - 07/13/09 02:07 AM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: 300winmag]
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
I truly appreciate this post Eric.
I realized that the hiking/camping trip I plan to take will require two backpacks and while everyone here is very helpful, I could not help but feel that asking for advice on carrying two backpacks in this forum seemed...well..somewhat suicidal.
Most of my time will be spent dayhiking.
Essentials would be warm clothes, rain gear, first aid, camera equipment and lunch. I have no desire to carry my main backpack everyday.
I will look into that REI Flash pack. I had the feeling my original daypack idea was overkill.
Thanks

#118281 - 07/13/09 02:22 AM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: 300winmag]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Did you check out the C-54 near the summit? That peak is on my list just for that reason.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118289 - 07/13/09 12:52 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: Trailrunner]
300winmag Offline

Yeah, there is still wreckage just below the summit including an entire wing AND pieces of aluminum from the plane were blown downhill 1,500 ft. into the wooded area of a spring where I refilled my Camelbak before summiting. Very sad to see the wreckage. The pilot forgot to reset his altimiter before taking off, according to the FAA investigation back in the '40s.

Eric

#118291 - 07/13/09 01:22 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: Marc]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I bought an REI Flash a couple of years ago. I bring it when I plan on a base-camp-with-day-hikes combo trip. It is a good size for lunch, water, a windshirt and a few other essentials. Mine weighs 8 oz and can double as a stuff sack inside the main pack. Works for me.

#118295 - 07/13/09 02:55 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I found that my Six Moon Designs Comet, when scrunched down all the way with the compression straps, works just fine as a day pack. It certainly is better than carrying a second pack! I may try taking the stays out next time I do this.

I have more problems when base-camping and dayhiking with my trekking poles. Either I take my pole out and find a couple of rocks to hold down the collapsed tent, or I have to find a stick to hold up the tent.

#118298 - 07/13/09 05:29 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I don't "base camp" a lot, because my pack is light enough it really doens't bug me. but when I do, I do have a compression sack I sewed backpack straps on. I either use it, or if I'm out with a small enough light pack, I just take whatever in that.. The most common packs I use for regular hikes is an MEC alpinelite 30 (which is a large daybag anyway) and a granite gear virga. The virga is a little bit large and flaccid to use as a daypack, but I find it i cinch the side straps down tight I can just take it and it doesn't do too bad for this.
Browse my pictures

#118504 - 07/20/09 01:26 AM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: 300winmag]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Eric, this Mt.Charleston hiker posted a picture of what he calls a "U2 spy plane crash site". Is he confusing that with the C-54? My understanding is that the Skymaster's 14 victims in 1955 were engineers on their way to Area 51 for U-2 research but I've never heard of a U-2 crash at that location. And his pic looks like the same area as the C-54. Anyway, I doubt that the military would leave that much wreckage from a once top secret spy plane.

I have a new hobby.....they call it aviation archeology. Some call it wreck chasing. It sort of combines hiking, history, navigation and treasure hunting. Fun stuff. And just to be clear I never disturb wreck sites or remove artifacts.

Thanks to you Charleston is on my short list for this fall!!!

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118535 - 07/20/09 07:23 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: 300winmag]
trekkin Offline

Loc: PNW
Yes, the plane wreck is interesting (not much left though), as are the bristlecone pine groves all along the ridge. Take a close look at that wood in some of the pieces that have been cut by chain saws: it has about 60-80 reed lines to the inch, compared to maybe 10 lines/inch for most faster growing softwoods. Incredibly slow growing wood=very old trees.

There's a lot more interesting things on mountains than your gear.

#118540 - 07/20/09 10:37 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Redundant items
Is that the stuff that you don't use for several trips but need the first time you live it at home ?
Franco

#118909 - 07/30/09 03:53 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: 300winmag]
slickgoku Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Hello, I want to give backpacking a shot, are there any required permits for hiking in the mt Charleston area? I've been searching all over the internet and keep getting mixed results, some sites say you do some say you don't. Thought you would know more or less for sure! Thanks.

#118910 - 07/30/09 04:07 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: slickgoku]
300winmag Offline

No permits are required to climb t. Charleston or any of the other peaks in the Spring Mountains Range. The most senic trail to Mt. Charleston is the North Loop trail.

The most senic (and least used) trail in the Forest is
Bonanza Peak trail from the trailhead near the little community of Cold Creek off U.S. 95 North to where Bonanza Peak/Spring Mt'ns. Divide trail meets the short Bristlecone trail, which itself ends at the ski area parking lot.

So you can do a car shuttle between the two trailheads. This hike is best backpacked in two days (due to the altitude and switchbacks) with a camp at Wood Springs, the ONLY water on that trail. This trail is as beautiful as most trails in Yosemite.

Eric

#118911 - 07/30/09 04:34 PM Re: Summited Mt. Charleston - equipment used [Re: 300winmag]
slickgoku Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Ok, it's what I've heard that you don't need any permits to camp out there or anything like that but wanted to make sure. Hoping to get the gear together for a fall trip and to camp out there for at least a week!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum