Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118274 - 07/12/09 09:39 PM Just purchased our bags
Richard Offline

Loc: Nevada
Went to REI today and purchased the Cats Meow, synthetic fill 20f long bags for my wife and I ($169 each). We will initially be spending most of the beginning of our Backpacking careers in the sierras and initially Yosemite. We don't plan to be out any earlier than May, or later than September but elevation will vary. Considering this background and the fact that we will be using good inflatable's to sleep on, does this sound like a reasonable selection?

#118277 - 07/12/09 11:57 PM Re: Just purchased our bags [Re: Richard]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My experience with the Cats Meow (purchased about 12 years ago) was that when new it was more like a 30 degree bag than its advertised 20 degrees. Of course by now (even though I have always stored it unstuffed and have used it only for car-camping the past 5 years) it's more like a 45 degree bag. Your mileage, of course, may vary. You may want to wear your insulating wear and a warm cap inside the bag on below-freezing nights.

Synthetics don't recover nearly as well from being compressed as does down. Try not to compress the bag any more than you absolutely have to to get it into your pack, and it will last longer. It's a good beginner bag. If you keep on backpacking, you'll probably want to save your pennies for a good down bag several years down the road.

#118284 - 07/13/09 10:02 AM Re: Just purchased our bags [Re: OregonMouse]
Richard Offline

Loc: Nevada
Thanks for the reply. I might have started with down, but my wife's pretty against anything that uses animals (vegi) and the salesman's attitude towards her desire kinda cinched her decision as well. Anyway we will try to avoid camping at below freezing temps. for the first couple years. Thanks for the advice on compressing the bags, I did not realize it could be detrimental.

#118297 - 07/13/09 03:20 PM Re: Just purchased our bags [Re: Richard]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
At least some down products (the veddy expensive ones) use down that is naturally shed by the geese, rather than a byproduct of goose slaughter. It might be worth doing some research.

As mentioned, you can extend the temperature range of the bag by wearing insulating clothing when inside. IMHO, a cap is the most important.

#118321 - 07/14/09 12:48 PM Re: Just purchased our bags [Re: OregonMouse]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have had a Kelty "black ice" bag (synthetic) for around 15-16 years and I have always kept it in it's bag and I use it very often and it always comes out of the bag just like brand new. I paid about $400.00 for it so it may have some hi-tec fabric (at the time) or something that I don't know about but I do know that it has been the best bag that I have ever had...period... except for my Western Mountaineering bag and they are to die for. Seemingly, storing this bag has not had much affect on it at sll....sabre11004 awesome

#118335 - 07/14/09 09:18 PM Re: Just purchased our bags [Re: sabre11004]
MountainMinstrel Offline

I started out backpacking using a 20 year old White Stag synthetic bag. IIRC it was rated at 20 degrees. This bag had been stored compressed for at least 10 years and did not seem to suffer from the abuse. Unfortunately it also did not get any lighter or compress any smaller, so I replaced it with a Kely Lightyear 25.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum