Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117920 - 07/01/09 09:38 PM backcountry Banff for a newbie
wihiker Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I'm interested in any info on good backcountry routes in Banff. I'm looking to spend about 5 days at the end of July. I'd like to get away from "the crowds" as much as possible.

#117935 - 07/02/09 11:55 AM Re: backcountry Banff for a newbie [Re: wihiker]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Heh heh. You said "Banff" and "Away from Crowds" in the same sentence.. Fail.

Ok, it's actually not that bad but from someone who spends a lot of his time up north in Jasper, Banff often feels like a zoo to me smile

Having said that much of the actual backcountry isn't terribly crowded. (the day use trails will be, particularly in the lake louise and banff townsite areas) If you are backpacking in the park you do need to check with the park office and get permitted. You can either do it on a daily basis or buy a yearly wilderness pass (the break even point is about 5 days I believe - I don't look because I always buy one smile

Depending on how many days in a row you want to be out, you may want to think about the Skoki area (middle of banff park) or at the far northern end of banff, Nigel pass, then through to Jonas and Poboktan (Jonas and Poboktan are actually in Jasper park) - You may see that hike described as part of the "Brazeau Loop". The Mount Assiniboine area is also nice but you can expect a fair number of people there. (and helicopters)

If you're just looking for other stuff "Near Banff" there are
some other good possibilities in the area, Peter Lougheed Provincial park which is adjacent to banff has some nice stuff . An in and out to Turbine Canyon and back out would be a very nice trip you could do overnight or in a couple of days.

One other excellent possibility you may consider nearby is the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay National park in BC (also adjacent to banff). Rockwall is pretty spectacular and will have less people on it than anything in banff. it's about 5 days at an average pace.

For reference, here's a Nigel Pass hike:
http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/nigel07/

Here's Rockwall:
http://bofh.cns.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/rockwall2007/

Edited by phat (07/02/09 11:57 AM)
Browse my pictures

#118212 - 07/10/09 04:21 PM Re: backcountry Banff for a newbie [Re: wihiker]
Milkyway Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Hi there,

My wife and I traveled to Banff in the summer about 5 years ago with our two boys who were then 10 years old. We backpacked the Skyline Trail in Jasper, which is about 28 miles. We're pretty slow hikers with the kids and we did not have lightweight gear at the time (think Kelty Super Tioga and a Eureka four-person tent), so I think we did it in 4 days. Surprisingly, we did not see a lot of other hikers. The mountain views were wonderful. We also stayed in Lake Louise for awhile. The dayhikes were really lovely (e.g. going to the Teahouses), but there were plenty of people. We also went mountain biking in a recreation area near Banff, which was a lot of fun. It's a beautiful place. You can't go wrong.

#118213 - 07/10/09 04:31 PM Re: backcountry Banff for a newbie [Re: Milkyway]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, Skyline's in Jasper (on the high part of the trail you look down on the Jasper townsite), and is quite a drive (4 hours ish) from Banff townsite. If you do end up that far north, it is very very nice - I do it a lot.

here's one with good weather:
http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/skyline2007/
and not so good weather:
http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/skyline2008/

Skyline tends to be "popular" when you book it. (i.e. it may be hard to get the actual campsites you want) but if there is any sort of weather there will be nobody there at all because people show up unprepared and wimpy.

I've had hikes where parks canada told me the sites were all full, and I went and ran into three bailing irishmen with rented gear on their way out on the first day, and one local like me the rest of the time. the rest of the trail was deserted. (I actually pray for crappy weather the first day of a skyline hike because it chases everyone else off it smile

Edited by phat (07/10/09 04:45 PM)
Browse my pictures

#118233 - 07/11/09 02:33 PM Re: backcountry Banff for a newbie [Re: phat]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Heh heh. You said "Banff" and "Away from Crowds" in the same sentence.. Fail.

I sincerely hope this is not universally true. I hiked in Banff for 11 days in 1978 and stayed a few days in the area just north of Pulsatilla Pass. It remains as probably the most remote spot I have ever visited. There were places east of there even further in and less visited, but I liked Pulsatilla so well I never ventured those extra days further in.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum