Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118069 - 07/06/09 01:47 PM Flycreek, campfires, and kids
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
I tried out my new flycreek ul1 this last weekend. Once more the thought processes my brain goes through before I purchase something has let me down. This was by no means the tent's fault.
The last time I was camping, six of us shared a very large tent which was sometimes prone to leaking. We took turns with a foot pump to blow up the air mattress for our sleeping bag.
Our backpack was an automobile made in the early 60's. We went out west to the mountains every summer, usually to Yellowstone.
Yes, I remember feeding the bears ( sorry to say ). Our entertainment on the long drive out there was counting antelope and different state license plates. I would not trade those memories for wealth, health, or love.
I live in the sticks and have a nice area with large rock-ringed fire pit surrounded by trees and several places to pitch a tent. Had a very nice party this weekend with a dozen or so people camping out. One couple ( 20 somethings with two adorable kids under 5 ) came "camping" with their tent on at least six wheels and had to be staked down with 400 ft of electrical cord to my house. I assume that was to keep the refridgerator, AC, lights, and DVD player from being blown over in case of a storm. I could not help but think "this is not camping". Both kids had the cutest little lawn chairs for sitting around the fire but when dad later brought them out a portable dvd player to watch while they sat there, my heart sank a little.
We had an awesome fireworks show. No one got hurt and the sheriff did not show up so all was well. Fortunately, I was inattentive to my jeep as the night wore on, and the battery and the music died. We were reduced to several lawn chairs around a beautiful campfire. Only the sound of wood burning and conversation, I loved it.
After 1,2,......beers and a couple of brats I was ready for bed which brings me back to the flycreek. Please forgive my rambling. The tent is everything it claims to be, in my opinion. It was simple to set up, although I did have to get back online to look at the picture of it again to stake down the fly. But that is just me. Once I set it up I decided I wanted to move it a few feet to a new spot, I just pulled the stakes and carried the whole tent like a paper sack, set it down and restaked it. Weather was almost insignificant, breezy and had some misty annoying rain, but I was totally dry. My thermorest pad was comfortable enough although I did let a little air out twice during the night. Being my first night on the ground I cheated and bought a twin bed cushion thing from wal-mart which I intended to cut to match my thermorest. I got lazy and just folded it in half. That was a mistake.
My problem with the tent ( the real reason for this post ) was getting in and out of it. I am either too fat or too old, but for me it was a hassle. It took all the fun out my having a new tent. There is room between the tent door and fly for your boots, not much else. Should you wake up with a gas problem, by the time you can get out, it will have taken care of itself. I am not berating the tent, only my decision making. I am off to see if I can find where my thought process got derailed.

#118074 - 07/06/09 04:27 PM Re: Flycreek, campfires, and kids [Re: Marc]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You pretty well nailed the pluses and minuses of the Fly Creek. I'm getting up there myself (59 in a few days), and find that it takes a little more scrunching up and scooting down than I normally do in a day to get in and out. However, that's me, not the tent.

When I'm not in the mood to scrunch and scoot, or when I'm carrying extra gear (for example, winter clothes), I take my Copper Spur. It's about the same size and layout as the Fly Creek, with two important differences: the side entry is highly accessible (just sit down and pivot in), and it has two vestibules: the larger one at the door, and the small one formed in back when you guy out the fly - and you can actually get to the small one from inside the tent via the convenient zippered access panel!

It's half a pound heavier than the Fly Creek, but the half pound earns its way in many situations. You may want to take a look at it.

#118081 - 07/06/09 06:25 PM Re: Flycreek, campfires, and kids [Re: Marc]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I recently got a Fly Creek. I love everything about it but getting in. I bought it to replace a nearly new Tarptent Contrail and a veteran Sierra Designs Lightyear. Both of them were easier to get into.

I am in my early 70's and not as limber now as when I was younger. For now, I just figure "it's only once a night" and I keep hoping my prostate won't get any worse. I figure it is a small price to pay for a two pound, double-wall tent as roomy as is this one. I have developed a technique for crawling in head first and then turning around in the big end of the tent.

#118083 - 07/06/09 07:16 PM Re: Flycreek, campfires, and kids [Re: Glenn]
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
Glenn,
Thank you for not letting me feel alone in the world and happy early birthday.
When I was ordering the flycreek a small voice was slapping me in the back of the head, but I ignored it.
I need a 2 person tent. Me and my gear. Calm down bear people, the only thing that stinks in my tent will be me. I have no desire to have a heart to heart with a bear.
I want to spend the entire summer in Yellowstone, without a vehicle. My complete backpack will only be carried on average for 1 out of every 4 days, and with proper planning never 2 days in a row. If that fails I will not even attempt it. I will only do what I am sure I can handle. The majority of my time will be spent dayhiking and taking pictures and smelling the memories of my childhood.
I was leaning toward plan B, the copper spur (only in the 2 person variety), before you said something Glenn. Perhaps that is an omen. Thanks for your help.
It is nice to know there is a place someone like me who knows nothing can get friendly help.

#118084 - 07/06/09 07:20 PM Re: Flycreek, campfires, and kids [Re: Marc]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
How do you think I ended up with both a Fly Creek and a Copper Spur? blush

#118160 - 07/08/09 04:03 PM Re: Flycreek, campfires, and kids [Re: Marc]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
"Tarptent Contrail and a veteran Sierra Designs Lightyear. Both of them were easier to get into."

thanks for that, Pika. I've been contemplating the fly creek to replace my Contrail (NH Platforms...) for awhile and it looks like you've saved me $250 - for at least another few days

#118192 - 07/09/09 03:28 PM Re: Flycreek, campfires, and kids [Re: Marc]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
I have a side-entry tent now. I'm too old to crawl into a tent like a dog. It's much easier for me to get in and out, set up the inside of the tent with my sleeping bag, and matress.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum