Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117991 - 07/04/09 12:05 AM camera on 14 day trek
haikublue Offline

Loc: Berkeley, California
I have the canon rebel xti and a coolpix P&S. I did not take my DSLR on my last Long distance trip. I brought the P&S. It surprisingly took pretty decent photos. If I brought the DSLR this time on a 93 mile hike...I would probably want to rent 2 lenses...a wide angle and a telephoto. Otherwise why bring the DSLR? I am imagining a crazy amount of weight with that! For you photographers out there...what do you recommend? I am at a loss.

#117999 - 07/04/09 12:36 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: haikublue]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Even though a camera is a high priority for me, I pack first then see how much weight I have and how much room I have left, then decide what camera to take.

Maybe you can pack an approximate load for this trip, then see whether you can still accommodate the slr, lenses, batteries, etc. I'm guessing you're looking at perhaps four pounds of photo gear? I'm not familiar with Canon stuff but their better lenses seem to be on the large side.

My tendency is to take an slr kit on shorter hikes and a compact on longer ones. The other benefit of a compact is I can keep it handy to shoot on the go. I don't like having an slr slung across my shoulder for long stretches, and when its in the pack I tend to not stop and shoot as often.

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. I find wide angle to be more important than telephoto, so I always make sure I have at least the wide end covered.

Originally Posted By haikublue
I have the canon rebel xti and a coolpix P&S. I did not take my DSLR on my last Long distance trip. I brought the P&S. It surprisingly took pretty decent photos. If I brought the DSLR this time on a 93 mile hike...I would probably want to rent 2 lenses...a wide angle and a telephoto. Otherwise why bring the DSLR? I am imagining a crazy amount of weight with that! For you photographers out there...what do you recommend? I am at a loss.

#118088 - 07/06/09 11:40 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: haikublue]
Silenceoftheland Offline

Loc: Colorado-Idaho
If your priorities are quality photos, then don't discount the DSLR. I'm getting ready for an 8 day trip and will use an olympus slr with a 14-42mm. The package will weight 3 1/2 lbs including holster bag, extra battery and memory.
Its all about priorities.

#118155 - 07/08/09 01:28 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: Rick_D]
haikublue Offline

Thanks...mentioning the over the shoulder thing IS helpful as it can pull on the shoulder over time...and I will have my pack. It is good to also know you think the Wide is more important than the telephoto.. I took both to Central America and went back and forth so much...but my favorite photos were probably the Wide Angle ones. Hmmmm your idea of seeing how much weight I am at before deciding may be the best one to hang onto.

#118156 - 07/08/09 01:33 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: Silenceoftheland]
haikublue Offline

Ack...back to the quandry. And I wish I had decided before sending my food cache...I could have sent an extra battery and memory. Now I may have to carry two as it is not a regular sort of battery. bummer. If there is a store at one camp...surely there is a place to plug in...but then I am carrying the recharger. This is so the opposite of light weight! :-)

#124597 - 12/02/09 11:56 AM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: haikublue]
Exjackly Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
The last 2 week trip I did, I carried a DSLR with 2 lenses and 2 batteries. One lens was a 50/1.8 for backup - the lightest lens I have. The other lived on the camera and was an 18-70mm consumer grade lens (good enough and both lighter and cheaper - in case of damage - than any of my higher end lenses). Total weight was about 5 pounds

I put the holster on my pack hip strap so it wasn't on my shoulder, and balanced it with a water bottle on the other side. It was easy to grab and use but out of the way. Then I just had a light day-pack I could stow it in if I was out of camp without the main pack.

#124606 - 12/02/09 08:25 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: haikublue]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I to have a rebel xti digital ,I have a Canon USM 28-135mm1:3.5-5.6 Imagaged Stabalized Zoom lens with uv filter and all Camera comes in at 2.75 Pounds. This is a very versatile lens with some Low end Macro capabilites and zoom features. It is not what I would like to carry for wildlife long distance shots. However, I feel if carrying one lens this is a keeper. The image stabalizer works awsome! about 350.00 for the lens when I bought mine . I think you would like it. I would love a to carry a high end fixed arp lens but the weight is imposible without a sherpa, LOL. Happy Trails

#124692 - 12/04/09 11:50 AM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: Kent W]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Kent:

Which lens to carry, ay, there's the rub -- I think Hamlet said that when he had to pick a lens to hike with.

I've tried but just can't get down to one lens with a DSLR. Unless it's a heavy, full-frame DSLR, you need at least an 18mm to get the wide-angle shots. And then you need a 300mm for those wildlife shots with maybe even a 2x converter for the distant ones. I haven't found a reasonably priced zoom lens that will do both of those. So I'm stuck with carrying two zoom lenses.

I'm like a broken record on this, but for a 14-day trek I believe the keyhole camera harness is the best thing since sliced bread. I used it for a snoeshow hike a couple weeks ago where poles are a necessity, and I could grab the camera off my chest and shoot the shot with a minimum of effort. Everyone who's seen the thing asks about it and is impressed by its ease of use.

Kent, that Image Stabilization lens, especially when zoomed out for telephoto shots, is a great thing -- and something I don't have (for the telephoto one.) And now you can get the new Canon T1i with the two (18-55mm & 55-250mm) IS lenses as a kit from places like Best Buy and Costco for a fairly reasonable price (if you call $900 a fairly reasonable price.) I just can't afford to get the new model every 18 months or so.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#124706 - 12/04/09 04:29 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: kevonionia]
Rick_D Offline

The Keyhole looks interesting. How do you keep from drenching your camera in sweat?

Cheers,

Rick

#124801 - 12/06/09 10:27 AM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: Rick_D]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted By Rick_D
The Keyhole looks interesting. How do you keep from drenching your camera in sweat?

Cheers,

Rick

I don't use the Kehole but I use an OP/Tech harness that basically serves the same purpose, to hold the camera securely to your chest, allowing the use of both hands. The difference it that the camera is attached to the harness, which has elastic straps that allow you to shoot without disconnectind it from the harness. Your assessment is correct. When working hard, it will get dripped on. When I use it with my DSLR, I use a small stuff sack over it that can be removed quickly and easily. I just tighten the cord enough to keep it from falling off. With practice, you can remove it quickly and seamlessly.

I use the same harness for my Canon G9 but I attach a very small holster-like Tamarac case to the harness where I can easily pull the camera out and replace it. If I'm shooting a lot, I don't fasten the cover on the holster. I use the harness for my binoculars when I am hunting and I have attached my underwater housing with the G9 in it, while rafting through the Grand Canyon, giving me the ability to shoot photos and video while running the rapids. It's one of the best $20 I ever spent.

#124833 - 12/06/09 07:20 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: kevonionia]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Kevon, Thanks for the info on the Keyhole device. I have been looking for something like that. I do agree that no single lens can do it all. Like you i cant buy every new gadget that comes along. It took me forever to upgrade to my digital. The Image stabalization from Canon is amazing. I tried a photo of a wild turkey while riding horseback in the Smokies two years ago. I did not expect it to come out as the horse refused to stop. Low and behold it was a decent picture. This made a beleiver out of me. Canon has a variable Arp 300 zoom lens with IS that I am considering? Reveiws are all good etc I have a cheap canon 200 mm that is lighter but doesnt have is. Time will tell. I am just getting back into backpacking and will most likley take the extra weight and a additional lens or two?
Thanks again

#124917 - 12/08/09 02:46 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: haikublue]
Swimswithtrout Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have a hard time just picking 2 lenses. On a 2-4 day trip I usually pack 3 lenses for my DSLR, 12-24mm, 28-105mm macro, and a 70-300mm VR (same as IS)

2 yrs ago for my 26 day trip in the Beartooth's I used a 17-55mm and the 70-300VR.

But as much as my trips are about the photography as the hiking, that trip has me thinking of looking for a good compact instead of 8lbs + of camera and lenses.

#125665 - 12/21/09 10:34 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: Swimswithtrout]
hatidua Offline

Loc: Colorado
I guess I'll be the odd one here and say that I opt for one 'type' of lens based on where I'm going. I've yet to go on a trip, anywhere in the world, where I take every lens I own - to include the widest lenses, and the longest as well.

Over time, it dawns on many photographers that they 'see' a certain way: some are more drawn to wide vistas, some are obsessed with flowers, and others are primarily interested in wildlife that cannot be approached very close.

A good friend of mine is a professional photographer and rarely shoots with any lenses wider than 85mm, he just 'sees' the world through much longer glass. On the other hand, I've paid all my bills with a camera for the past 25 years and 90% of all of my photos are with lenses wider than 24mm. In reality, I'd be just fine (from the mortgage companies viewpoint) with a 16-35mm lens. Then again, from time to time that might not suit everyone so I understand the desire of many to have more options.

#125702 - 12/22/09 01:40 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: hatidua]
Rick_D Offline

I do love the ultrawides. My most exotic lens is a Zuiko 7-14, which unfortunately weighs a quarter ton but must sometimes be carried regardless. They're a lot tricker to use than a lot of folks realize--still learning myself.

Cheers,

#125869 - 12/26/09 03:41 PM Re: camera on 14 day trek [Re: haikublue]
KWeb Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Originally Posted By haikublue
on a 93 mile hike...

Wonderland trial? Great hike! Definatly some good photo op's.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum