Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117779 - 06/29/09 03:02 PM New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking...
UWGMiMi Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I sincerely hope I'm in the right place to post; as my subject reads I'm new to all aspects of backpacking/hiking in general. My father tried to teach me when I was younger and I didn't really listen... Dad's been gone for three years now and I've been in a rut for the last seven. When he became sick, I lost all sense of me and what was important and while I'm still dealing with his death (he passed in my arms), I hear the outdoors calling my name again STRONGLY.

I really want to get back in touch with simple things, wholesome things... nature and all its beauty and wisdom.

My question is: where can I go within my location (just SW of Atlanta, GA) to seek instruction? I don't want to go blindly into the outdoors- I want to respect it and have it respect me in generally.

I'd ideally like to be prepared as much as I can before I start on trails again. Heck, I'd even welcome any friendship that came from my new venture into life.

Again, I hope I have the right section for posting this... if I don't, I do apologize.

Thank you in advance for any information you can point my way!

Warmly,
MiMi

Edited by UWGMiMi (06/29/09 03:02 PM)

#117780 - 06/29/09 03:09 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: UWGMiMi]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Check and see whether there is a local chapter of the Sierra Club or the Appalachian Trail Club in your area or near enough that you can get there. Both of these organizations sponsor group hikes and outings. These are a good way to ease into the pastime with the guidance of people who are already familiar with it. Welcome and good luck!

#117782 - 06/29/09 03:39 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: Pika]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
My local REI stores also sponsor hikes, training session, and an occasional group camping trip. Check with your local store.

#117786 - 06/29/09 03:52 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: thecook]
UWGMiMi Offline

Thanks for the advice... great minds must think alike, because I looked there first! lol All of the REI stores that are offering courses are none of the Georgia stores. BUT I do think you're on target; I'm hoping to get to my store once I'm back from Savannah for the holiday.

Thanks again!

#117787 - 06/29/09 03:54 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: Pika]
UWGMiMi Offline

Thank you so much, Pika! I looked at the SC website too prior to joining this forum. I am definitely going to join my local club...

#117790 - 06/29/09 04:28 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: UWGMiMi]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Welcome to the site and good luck on you first venture out...sabre11004 awesome

#117796 - 06/29/09 05:10 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: sabre11004]
UWGMiMi Offline

Thanks, Sabre!

#117801 - 06/29/09 05:55 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: UWGMiMi]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Googling something on the order of "hiking groups Atlanta" may come up with groups with which you can hike/backpack.

Have you read the articles in the left column of the home page of this site ("TLB Home")? That's a good place to start. There used to be "sticky" posts at the top of this forum section referromg beginners to specific articles on the home page, but they seem to have disappeared.

#117808 - 06/29/09 06:52 PM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: OregonMouse]
UWGMiMi Offline

I'll definitely check out all of the links posted by the site... thanks for tidbit!

#117892 - 07/01/09 11:11 AM Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... [Re: UWGMiMi]
lori Offline

Looking for Sierra club chapters or meetup groups or other hiking groups would be a great place to start.

Meetup is less formal than a lot of groups, but there's such a variety of inexperienced and experienced hikers - it's sort of like internet dating only you're hiking, not dating. You'll probably quickly find people you wouldn't mind spending overnight trips with, regardless of what group you hang out with, and you'll be able to ask all kinds of questions.

The forum's full of some good questions and answers as well, so welcome and enjoy!

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum