Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116230 - 05/19/09 10:28 AM Cooking pots.
keepitlow Offline

Loc: NE US

Would like a couple pots with at least one lid. Prefer non aluminum. What do you recommend?

#116231 - 05/19/09 10:34 AM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: keepitlow]
lori Offline

Why not aluminum? It doesn't cause Parkinsons - that was disproved a while ago. My very favorite is a GSI hard anodized tea kettle, 4.5 oz.

The REI branded Evernew pot is good - .9L or 1.1L, lined or unlined - I got the non teflon version, because unlike aluminum, teflon really is poisonous, and I find it wasteful to have a pot with a coating that will flake off to the point that it's not usable. Titanium is good for boiling and not so good for cooking unless it's nonstick. It discolors if your stove is hot.

I also have a Fosters can pot. Compact and quite useful for one person.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#116237 - 05/19/09 11:21 AM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If the stand and windscreen you got was the Clikstand, it was designed for, and works perfectly with, the REI Ti Ware .9L titanium pot (teflon or uncoated) or 1.3L titanium pot (teflon is the only version available.)The stove, windscreen, and stand, plus a small spoon (or folding spork), bic lighter, and small dish cloth will all store inside the pot.

Edited by Glenn (05/19/09 11:22 AM)

#116251 - 05/19/09 02:54 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: keepitlow]
Pugslie Offline

Originally Posted By keepitlow

Would like a couple pots with at least one lid. Prefer non aluminum. What do you recommend?

Take a look at the Brunton IB...2 pots (1.0L & 0.8L), folding handles with lid that has drain holes for pouring or straining. Can be used as a makeshift double-boiler. Its uncoated hard anodized aluminum (I know you said non aluminum) . Weighs 9.4oz. I got mine at www.basegear.com/bruntonibcook.html.

b.gin

#116257 - 05/19/09 03:19 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: keepitlow]
keepitlow Offline

Loc: NE US

Thanks for ALL the replies.

Re: alum

Heard alum poisons you, so trying to avoid it. But am no expert.

#116258 - 05/19/09 04:07 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: keepitlow]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If you fall into the camp that believes aluminum poisons you, then buy anodized aluminum. It is much more corrosive resistant.

#116426 - 05/23/09 07:13 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: keepitlow]
Redleg Offline

I have used the Snow Peak titanium pots. Nice and light but can be pricey...

#116467 - 05/24/09 11:20 PM Re: Cooking pots. (Primus ETA?) [Re: lori]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I use a JetBoil 1.5 L. pot for its higher efficiency with its "Flux Ring" heat exchanger on the bottom and its neoprene cozy on the sides.

Now that Primus has virtually the same heat exchanger on the bottom of its "ETA" line of pots I'd suggest you try it or a JetBoil pot and see for yourself how much more fuel efficient they are.

Eric

#116498 - 05/25/09 05:30 PM Re: Cooking pots. (Primus ETA?) [Re: 300winmag]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By 300winmag
I use a JetBoil 1.5 L. pot for its higher efficiency with its "Flux Ring" heat exchanger on the bottom and its neoprene cozy on the sides.

Now that Primus has virtually the same heat exchanger on the bottom of its "ETA" line of pots I'd suggest you try it or a JetBoil pot and see for yourself how much more fuel efficient they are.

Eric

Jetboil Pot: 12 oz (340 g)
vs:
AntiGravity Gear "3 cup" pot with pot cozy: 5oz (141 g)

It ain't gonna make 8 oz of fuel difference for me on any reasonable kind of trips. (8 0z of fuel is 4 days cooking for me...) Flux capacitors belong in a DeLorean. not in your backpack.

Browse my pictures

#116770 - 05/31/09 02:04 PM Re: Cooking pots. (Primus ETA?) [Re: phat]
300winmag Offline

Phat,

On my 1.5 L. JB pot I've removed the handles, cut the handle bracket off and cut out the center of the "Flux Ring" plastic protector.

This gives me exactly 9.5 oz. Still a ways from your AGG's "3cup pot" 4+ oz. W/ cozy, but ya gotta remember, I have a bigger pot by more than 2 cups.

Now I'm looking at a 1 L. Primus ETA pot. I am a True Believer in heat exchangers. They are the wave of the future for backpack cooking and "Resistance Is Futile".

Meanwhile my RAV4's Flux Capacator needs the Di-Lithium reactor replaced so I'll end here.

Eric

#116771 - 05/31/09 03:51 PM Re: Cooking pots. (Primus ETA?) [Re: 300winmag]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon

Hey magnum guy...

I've been an advocate of heat exchangers since the MSR model came out. Even at 8 oz I think its worth its weight on a 2 liter titanium pan for winter snow melting duty. Since it hangs on the outside of the pot, you drop it an inch so it acts as a wind break and collects all of the heat from the stove and funnels it up the sides of the pan.
Jim

#116773 - 05/31/09 04:36 PM Re: Cooking pots. (Primus ETA?) [Re: Jimshaw]
300winmag Offline

My Dear Sir James,

Indeed, the MSR heat exchanger can be utilized as a partial windscreen. It's a great heat exchanger if a bit bulky. But who cares in winter when you've got a pulk? Even the 1/2" deep JB & Primus ETA heat exchangers do add some windscreen capabilities.

For winter snow melting (with a remote fuel source ONLY) I like the efficency of my aluminized fiberglass cloth OutBack Oven.

Eric

#116774 - 05/31/09 05:05 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: keepitlow]
jehan Offline

Loc: texas, usa
sierra cup w/ lid, currently have one without a lid, and i love it.
the size/shape/versatility lets me make just about anything i want. it's a skillet, pot, cup, all in one. of course that means it's a "good enough" skillet/pot/cup, so if you're planning on going ultra-gourmet (which I'll admit can be pretty fun) it might not be the best option

#117078 - 06/10/09 12:03 AM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: keepitlow]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
Heinekin cans weigh almost nothing, I use two, one for a cup. A small stainless wire bail makes them easy to suspend over a fire. I realize that fires aren't always practical, but these cans are really light.

#117106 - 06/10/09 03:58 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: Ecrow]
300winmag Offline

Never, ever been a fan of cooking in beer cans. They were not made for heat and I'm very suspicious of their possible toxicity.

Eric

#117117 - 06/10/09 11:57 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: 300winmag]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
You might be right Eric, but you sure rained on my parade. Just when I was thinking a Guinness can to be a lightweight pot option too. I sure want to get rid of my heavy pot though. I have some coffee cans, but when I see how those suckers rust I am totally turned off.

Howie

#117121 - 06/11/09 09:09 AM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: Howie]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
Several months ago I wrote Heineken about using theior cans as cooking pots. This was their reply:

"Thank you for making Heineken aware of the use of our cans in a nontraditional manner. According to our packaging engineers, the inner lacquer coating of beverage cans are not intended to be used at high temperatures. The specific coating in our beer cans is suited for contact with beer only at pasteurizing temperature, which is well below cooking temperature. We will be contacting this company directly but wanted to
share with you our instruction that Heineken cans should be recycled and not re-used.

Regards,

Consumer Affairs - Heineken USA
Enjoy Heineken Responsibly

Please reply to heineken@qualitycustomercare.com"

That killed it for me. ALL beer or food cans are coated BTW.

#117133 - 06/11/09 04:07 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: hoz]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
All cans are lined with a plastic material which, unfortunately, contains BisPhenol A (I hope I spelled that right...). This might potentially be a lot worse for you than aluminum. I assume the can manufacturers are looking for a better plastic. Of course the alternative to the plastic liner is having cans corrode through, spoiling the contents and spilling their spoiled (think botulism) contents all over your pantry shelves (been there, done that). The aluminum toxicity myth is still hanging around, evidently.

For light weight and cheap, there's the KMart grease pot. $5 and 4 oz. (I discarded the strainer and replaced the knob on the lid with a bent piece of wire.) I used mine for several years before finally succumbing to the lure of titanium. It has a couple of minor dents but is still perfectly good. Of course I only boil water--if I were cooking in the pan, I'd want something a bit thicker.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/11/09 04:08 PM)

#117138 - 06/11/09 04:58 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: hoz]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
hoz

You should have waited until all the beer can cookers died off to spread this around - its the Darwin principle, but then very few will read it, and fewer will believe it. People desperately want to believe that you can cook in beer cans. And if you don't mind a few chemicals in your food - you can.
Jim crazy

#117146 - 06/11/09 08:12 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: Jimshaw]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
Yeah,like boots vs trail runners, hiking poles vs no poles or innies vs outies, using beer cans for cooking pots is one of those "undeniable mysteries."

At least my contacting Heineken directly led to them notifying a certain alcohol stovemaker to discontinue selling cookpots made with their cans.

What individual hikers do with the information is up to them. At least they have been warned.

Eat drink and be merry, (Using Heineken cans) for tomorrow we die.

#117147 - 06/11/09 09:14 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: hoz]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Or more likely, drink your Heineken beer (assuming you like the stuff) and eat elsewhere....

#117148 - 06/11/09 10:22 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Hi, Jim: that certainly would improve the gene pool! (I'm assuming you're also a fan of the Darwin awards.)

#117150 - 06/11/09 10:32 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

If you're not specifically wanting titanium, and not wanting to find a pot to fit the Clikstand that I think you own, Optimus puts out both a Terra Solo and Terra Weekend pot. The Solo is .5L (too small for cooking or rehydrating in, but just right for boil-in-bag meals) and the Weekend is 1L (very nice size.) They're a bit heavier than titanium (for the same volume), but they seem to hold heat a bit longer - maybe the walls are a little thicker to provide the same dent resistance?) Each has a small fry pan, which I use as a small bowl to make oatmeal in the morning, using the rest of the water in the pot for tea.

I've been playing with them a bit lately, with my Optimus Flex stove, and they're really quite nice. They're about 2 ounces heavier, and somewhat more functional (the fry pan lid) as my Snow Peak Trek 700 or Trek 900, which are roughly equivalent sizes. I find that I'm reaching for the Optimus pots more and more often when I'm packing for a trip.

If you get them, get a Sea to Summit Alpha Light aluminum spoon (short for the Solo, regular for the Weekend) to make a really nice one-pot kitchen.

Edited by Glenn (06/11/09 10:34 PM)

#117151 - 06/11/09 10:36 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: hoz]
Glenn Offline

Maybe the stovemaker's judgment was impaired by emptying all those cans so he could turn them into pots? wink

#117152 - 06/11/09 10:37 PM Re: Cooking pots. [Re: hoz]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
*cough* if you eat food that is canned and or drink pop, beer or water you have no real grounds to complain.

Then again, I will happily take the lining over the old way....canned food used to be pretty gross. Swollen, leaking cans were the norm only a two decades ago - if you left them in your cupboard and forgot about them.

As well, linings allow cans to be much thinner, using less resources than even a decade ago.

There is always an upside to things. Whether one wants to see it is a whole other issue.

Tell someone to get a cheap AGG style pot and there will be someone that whines about nonstick lining. Tell them to cook their food in an aluminum pot (non-hard anodized) and someone will cry foul that brain issues will arise.

If you really want to be in a bubble world, then by all means carry your bulk food items that you grow yourself in cloth bags that you wove yourself. And be sure to walk to the trailhead. Driving would be cheating. So would be buying groceries at the store - after all, a big belching diesel truck brought them there in plastic bags.

Of course, those pesky containers are also what keeps bugs, rodents and moisture out of your food. Which not too long ago in modern history having bugs in your flour, rice and pasta was quite common. Still is in most parts of the world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum