Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116892 - 06/05/09 06:07 AM A true newbie
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
Hello
I have been to Yellowstone 5 times in my life. All 30 to 40 years ago, and basically never left the pavement. I retired recently and am now planning on going back. I intend to spend the entire summer traveling the backcountry from one developed campground to the next. My first hurdle is that the only hiking I have ever done is from my house to the mailbox, and the only dangerous wildlife I might encounter is if the neighbor's cows got out. Admittedly I am not in the shape I was in while I was working, and even then you would not see me in a bowflex commercial, but I intend to realize my limits. I have been reading everything I can and hope to be as prepared as I can be. Reading what you people have to say has not only help to educate me but also prompted me to lay my personal life on the line and ask you for your experienced advice. So as for my current concern, I will be traveling alone and I doubt if I get 2 minutes of sleep my first 2 to ... nights in the backcountry. I realize everyone is different, I think some feedback from personal accounts would help me a great deal.
Thank you

#116895 - 06/05/09 09:28 AM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Welcome Marc! I'm one of the young(ish) guys here, and although I cannot speak directly to some concerns of yours - I can share some encouragement to you. Please do not let your fear of the unknown keep you from exploring and enjoying the outdoors. Even if you can't hike for 15-20 miles a day - no one here will tell you that you are wrong for that. HYOH - Hike Your Own Hike... It's a common theme in this forum. If your hike includes only 2 miles, then so be it... enjoy those 2 miles with every bit of your soul.

This forum is great for gaining knowledge about gear and what may work for you. It is great because it's not just people who are gearheads, but it's full of people who actually get out and hike rather than sitting online and bragging about their "lighter than yours" pack.

I admit that I did chuckle when I read:
"So as for my current concern, I will be traveling alone and I doubt if I get 2 minutes of sleep my first 2 to ... nights in the backcountry."
I think everyone has been there at some point or another. Ear plugs work wonderfully to help block out noises of the night. I've been a recent convert to hammocking, which has also helped me sleep much longer, more comfortable and fall asleep easier at night.

Again, welcome to the group. Have fun with your retirement! It sounds like you have a fun adventure planned.

#116896 - 06/05/09 09:55 AM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
jehan Offline

Loc: texas, usa
ibuprofen can help with inflammation/pain
unisom can help with restless nights (not very effective for me, but maybe you'll have different results)

reading is nice, but nothing beats getting out there, and going for it. i suggest trying some car camping (perhaps with limited access to your car, and lots of 'practice' hiking) to assess your level of conditioning

good luck, have fun

#116901 - 06/05/09 11:32 AM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Welp, first off welcome.

As far as getting in shape for some backcountry walking, that kind of depends on you. My recommendation is to obviously go for long walks, maybe adding a pack and more and more weight over time until you reach what you want. Walking hills are always a plus. To gain that needed endurance though, I'd recommend riding a bike, either on the street or in a gym. It's great cardio if you push, there's no impact on any of your joints, plus you can toughen up those quads and make hills that much easier. Also, your core area is important since the stronger it is, the more it can probably endure and it'll make those last miles a lot more comfortable. But you might already have a plan for all of this.

Also, a good pair of boots/shoes/whatever is comfortable for you on a long hike. It's all preference so I'm not going to steer you in any particular direction except to say go find something comfortable.

Also, familiarize yourself with a wildlife and how to handle any potential encounters with them. I'm assuming all of this is in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons by the way too. But obviously avoid bison if they happen to be in your path. Wait them out or give them a good wide berth if you go around.

Bears are always something to keep an eye open for. Have a good can of bear mace and remember if you come up on a bear where both of you might be a little uncomfortable with the lack of space and warning, don't do anything jerky or overly nervous. And don't run or climb a tree. If they want, a girzzly can climb a tree and they sure as heck can run you down. Merely just back away slowly, speaking calmy and firmly to the bear. And don't bail on your pack either, that thing could end up saving you if it comes to that extreme. But of course negative bear encounters are rare and there's no reason to be a hyper-vigilant wreck with every step. Just try not to be too quiet while walking out there and make sure you heed the 100 yard rule with food(keep your food and the place you eat 100 yards away from where you sleep and each other, should look like a triangle).

Mountain lions, I'd have to say the same thing goes for them as bears, but you'll be lucky if you see one at all and it'll probably be as it runs in the oppsotie direction.

Wolves are pretty common, but you'll probably have no close encounters with them at all and even then they won't bother you. I've hada few run ins with them here in the mountains and Alaska and they've never done more than look in my general direction, nothing more. People with dogs would have another story, but you out there just backpacking should be good to go. Obviously be aware and watchful of what they're doing if they're that close, but more than likely they'll leave you well enough alone.

Also, not to really be weary of elk during the summer, but it is calving season here real soon and elk calves are a favorite of the predators, even bears. So, if you come upon an elk herd with calves, just keep an eye and ear open.

Also, as far as sleeping goes, I'm sure you'll be just fine after that first or second night and nothing bothers you. Like has already been said already, everyone's been there at least once. But I'm sure when you're done for the day you'll probably be tired so going to sleep might not be much of an issue. A sleeping pad and good tent are a must, not just for comfort but those sleeping pads help maintain warmth. And since Yellowstone tends to get into the freezing temps even in the height of summer, wearing a fleece cap or something while you sleep will help keep you warmer as well. And for added comfort, this is my own personal preference, I like bring a pillow. Not like the one I keep on my bed, but just a small one I can keep in a small stuffsack. Having spent way more nights on the ground without a pillow than I'd like, any kind of support under your head is always an added bonus. But that might just be me.

As for gear, I'd like give you some advice, but there's plenty all around the forum and archives from past conversations so I'm sure you'll have more than enough information on that. But this also be your first outting from the sounds of it, so you'll kind of have to figure out your own gear list and what you're comfortable with/without. Something I recommend you do before actually heading out in Yellowstone on maybe some short overnighters because it'll help you figure the gear desires out but also give you some experience in their use.

Hopefully this was useful and not too long winded, lol. I just love Yellowstone and anyone going out there should have the best time they can. I've been there quite a bit, nothing backcountry as of yet(those are planned just need to be executed), but I've done my research and had my experiences in situations you might run into out there.

Have fun most importantly. laugh

#116908 - 06/05/09 01:52 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The advice to start out with car camping and day hiking is good advice. Because you have all summer, there is no need to rush the process of becoming familiar with Yellowstone as it looks when you get away from the pavement. You could try out most of your equipment in this way and see how it works for you beforehand.

Do check with National Park rangers about their permitting requirements and whether you must bring a bear canister for your food (if so, they will likely rent you one).

Going from absolute newbie to hiking to backpacking deep into Yellowstone is a fairly big leap. Taking it in smaller steps, and ramping up over several weeks seems a good idea.

#116909 - 06/05/09 01:57 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
CaterpillarMan Offline

Loc: N.E. Wyoming
Wow, I live in wyoming and have never been to Yellowstone. My parents were the no vacation type. But beings how I have a great paying job, my wife and I will be heading up there sometime soon, its only like an 8 hour drive for us. Good luck, wildlife isnt to bad, just stay calm and usually all will be good.
Jr

#116912 - 06/05/09 04:02 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
Marc Offline

I just wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to respond to me. You have been kind, considerate, and quite helpful. To Matt in Idaho, I did not find you longwinded in the least and I appreciated every word. It would be my pleasure if I was ever to cross trails with any one of you. Should some day you meet a hiker who is repeatedly chanting
" Lions and Bison and Bears .. Oh My! " then you will know it is me. Thanks again.

#116916 - 06/05/09 08:36 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Welcome Marc!

Let me second JP's recommendation for ear plugs. I always have difficulty going to sleep the first couple of nights until I become familiar with all the different sounds. Once I can catalog all of them in my mind, I can sleep fairly well. But, I don't sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time. The ear plugs help by blocking out some of the lighter sounds.

It will also help when you learn what sounds different animals make (e.g. deer, armadillos-extremely noisy!, raccoons, skunks, wild hogs). Then you'll know when it's time to worry. smile One time I was very startled out of my sleep by two barred owls. Somehow I got between two of them and they started "hooting" at each other and it was VERY loud. Scared the bejeebers out of me. Once I figured out where they were and that they were up high in the trees, my heart moved back down out of my throat and into my chest. Then I got ticked off because they wouldn't shut up and let me sleep.

You might want to read the thread:
Freaky Nighttime Woods Noises

Tango

Edited by Tango61 (06/05/09 08:42 PM)
Edit Reason: added thread reference

#116918 - 06/05/09 09:39 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Tango61]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Yes, do search for the weird night noises thread; it may have you laughing enough that you'll be over your nervousness!

I'm usually awake a lot my first night out because I find the night noises (owls, coyotes, bugling elk) far more interesting and exciting than the car/train/neighbor's stereo noises here in town and am eager to hear them. By the second night, I just sleep through it all.

One reason I like the Henry Shires Tarptents is that they have a piece of netting all the way around for ventilation--I have a 360* view when I'm lying down. That way I can look out and see what (if anything) is making the noise of the moment.

#116921 - 06/05/09 10:29 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have another "oldie"! I looked at your personal info you gave - Iowa. Altitude and Rocky Mountain weather are two things you need to get familiar with. Safety is your first priority. Take it easy for the first week. And do not stray very far from your car until you get experienced with staying dry in the typical daily afternoon thunderstorms. It is all a matter of correct gear (keep the weight down, test all important gear with camping in the rain in your backyard and avoid cotton), traveling in the better morning weather, campsite selection and being a matiticulous camper. A good shelter is important. Get one that allows a dry entry in and out of the shelter. Also, the Rockies work under Murphy's Law of dinner downpours. Whenever you choose to cook dinner, it will rain! A small sil-nylon tarp to make a dry cook area works great. Tents with generous vestibules are also good. Keep your food simple until you become a better backcountry camper. Simply boiling water may be all you want to do in a rainstorm right now.

You will be close to the Wind River mountains. If you get bored with Yellowstone (or fed up with all the regulations) head south to Pinedale and discover the Wind Rivers!

#116946 - 06/06/09 05:46 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Tango61]
Marc Offline

I found the thread to Freaky Nighttime Woods Noises and read all 12 pages. It was quite entertaining and oddly comforting. Thanks Tango. I live in the sticks so when I purchase a tent I will be able to sort of assimilate a real camping experience. I may even venture out after dark and do a little snipe hunting. I hope I catch a bag full. BBQ sauce sounds good but I think I will deep fry mine.

#116993 - 06/07/09 11:20 PM Re: A true newbie [Re: Marc]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Ha, snipe hunting. I've had my share of that!

I too live in the sticks and love to go out in my "back yard" at night and listen to all the frogs (about 7 different kinds) and bugs (mainly crickets).
We were startled the other night when we went outside and it sounded like a baby crying. Turns out it was one of the neighbor's baby goats looking for its mamma. Pretty freaky.

What makes me most nervous is when the crickets are chirping and then all of a sudden they stop. That's when I start looking around to see what what might be trying to sneak up on me.

We've got a full moon tonight and it's nice to walk the pasture and enjoy the cool evening.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum