Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116648 - 05/28/09 10:15 AM Weird Foot Problem
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I have this problem where after several days on the trail the soles of my feet become very tender and every time I take a step there is a burning sensation. Let me go into a little more detail. Things usually start off good. I can go a couple of days and have no issues. Then about the 3rd or 4th day in I start to notice the problem. It seems to revolve around moisture. What happens is my feet either sweat in my boots, or get wet from some other source (like if it’s raining). After a short amount of time of being in the boots they start to prune up as if I were sitting in a bath (I like to call it “hamburger foot”). Once the pruning occurs that’s when the burning starts kicking in. After the trip is complete I then go through a few week period where the skin on my soles gets leather-like. Every time this happens I’m thinking, “Awesome, I finally toughened them up”, only to have all that skin peel off where I have to start from scratch on the next trip.

I didn’t really figure out that I had this problem until last year when I did the GA section of the AT, I always thought it was the footwear. I was having the issue during the trip and talked with someone at Mountain Crossings when I re-supplied, and she told me I needed to manage the moisture. Ever since then I have been trying various things to combat the problem with varying levels of success, however I haven’t been able to totally beat it. The thing that has worked best thus far is taking frequent breaks to dry my feet off, and changing into dry socks during every break. The issue I still have is that I primarily hike here in the SE where it is either hot and/or wet, so it’s pretty much impossible to keep my footwear 100% dry.

So, with all that said, anyone else have this problem? If so, have you figured out a way to manage it?

#116655 - 05/28/09 10:56 AM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: Berserker]
lori Offline

What kind of socks? what kind of shoes/boots?

Have you used sock liners?

Have you tried body glide or antipersperant on the foot, or foot powder?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#116660 - 05/28/09 11:55 AM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: lori]
Berserker Offline

Originally Posted By lori
What kind of socks? what kind of shoes/boots?

I usually wear synthetic or wool socks (Wigwam, Smartwool, etc.). This seems to happen in pretty much any of my footwear. On the trail I usually wear boots with synthetic uppers. My current boots are Patagonia Vagabonds, which have canvas uppers.

Have you used sock liners?

Yes, I always use them.

Have you tried body glide or antipersperant on the foot, or foot powder?

Haven't tried putting anything on yet. Not sure if it would work or not. Any little bit of moisture seems to get the process going. Been thinking about trying the powder, so I'll give that a shot.

Edited by Berserker (05/28/09 11:58 AM)

#116673 - 05/28/09 02:56 PM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: Berserker]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
What about sandals? Have you tried those yet?

#116682 - 05/28/09 04:23 PM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: Berserker]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
Do you have Hyperhidrosis? (Sweaty feet, palms.)

#116690 - 05/28/09 06:09 PM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: Berserker]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“If so, have you figured out a way to manage it?”

Oh yea.
You have good insight “The thing that has worked best thus far is taking frequent breaks to dry my feet off, and changing into dry socks during every break.”

You describe exactly what happened to me in my boot days. Prune feet can cause a lot of problems. Toe fungus and athletes foot will abound.
Thus you need something that dries fast. I have seen NOTHING that beats an open-toe sandal and a good wicking sock. With the correct-fitting sandal, you will not need any other foot-blister treatment.

Other tips, for southeast summers, I would stay away from any type of wool socks. I hear scout masters say “wool keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter”. I have found wool ALWAYS keeps you warm and that means sweat. So mitigate some of the problem by switching to nylon or coolmax socks.

May everyone find their foot zen.

-Barry

#116700 - 05/28/09 10:02 PM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: BarryP]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
If your problem comes from sweat, you might want to try putting antiperspirant on your feet starting several days before the trip. I have heard of marathoners doing this. Glide reportedly helps deal with constantly wet feet also.

If the problem is outside moisture, look for footware that dries really quickly. Solomon and several other makers have their trail runner shoe without padding, just mesh, for water use. You might want to try these with a thin synthetic sock.

#116717 - 05/29/09 11:50 AM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: finallyME]
Berserker Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
What about sandals? Have you tried those yet?

Well, no. I have worn Tevas for a short distance, and they just didn't provide enough support. I haven't tried anything more substantial like Chacos though. I am real finicky about my footwear and have issues getting shoes that feel "right", which is why I am trying to make the step down to trail runners before I even consider sandals.

#116718 - 05/29/09 11:51 AM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: hoz]
Berserker Offline

Not sure, never really looked into it.

#116719 - 05/29/09 11:55 AM Re: Weird Foot Problem [Re: thecook]
Berserker Offline

Interesting suggestions by both you and Barryp. I'll have to try some of them out. As I mentioned in a post above, I am currently trying to get into trail runners. Those will be more breathable than my current boots, and I'll wear thinner synthetic socks in them. The only issue I am having is that they don't provide as much support, and I am still a little above 30 lbs in pack weight. So I'll have to get my feet and ankles in a little better shape as well as maybe try to get my pack weight down a few more pounds.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum