Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116619 - 05/27/09 04:55 PM WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Parka?
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
Montbell is out of stock till the new ones (w/ new material) arrive in Sept.:(

So, I'm eyeballing the Western Mountaineering Flash. Looks great...though it's more expensive and a touch heavier.

Can anyone compare the two...or at least give their impressions of the WM Flash?

#116643 - 05/28/09 05:42 AM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Pa [Re: Fishnaked]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
Have you tried Prolite Gear's website? They always carry MB and on sale. Good company to deal with.

#116715 - 05/29/09 11:15 AM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Pa [Re: leadfoot]
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
Thanks, Leadfoot. I did look there and they didn't have the color/size I was looking for. However, I'm now not 100% sure on the size, color or even jacket to get. I'm thinking I'll cool my jets until I figure out exactly what it is I want....unless of course I run across a screaming deal.;)

Edited by rusty (05/29/09 11:18 AM)

#119147 - 08/08/09 11:24 PM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Pa [Re: Fishnaked]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: Northeastern TN
I'm waiting on a Flash from Backcountrygear...should be here in 2 weeks...plan to use it coupled with an Arc AT..on the skin side will be Smartwool Tights below and a Beartooth Merino Hoodie on top...expected lows in the upper 30s....all this in a hammock..going from Delaware Water Gap north starting 3rd week of September.

#119148 - 08/08/09 11:54 PM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Parka? [Re: Fishnaked]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
As an owner of a WM Megalite bag I'd go for the WM Flash jacket. Their quality of materials and workmanship is second to none PLUS it's made in the U.S., whereas Montbell is a French company.

Eric

#119149 - 08/09/09 01:07 AM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Parka? [Re: 300winmag]
MedicineMan Offline

shows what i know! i thought montbell was japanese frown
regardless i made my decision based on weight. I've got
a Patagonia Down Hoodie--what an awesome piece of kit, but sometimes too warm...for this time of year on the AT in NJ and NY I'm hoping the Flash will suffice and it will obviously save me precious ounces over the Patagonia Hoodie....speaking of saving ounces, I'm also hoping the Beartooth Merino Hoodie will save some ounces over my Patagonia Axuwool Hoodie (I don't think Pat. makes it anymore)..

#119468 - 08/16/09 11:35 PM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Parka? [Re: 300winmag]
obchristo Offline

Originally Posted By 300winmag
As an owner of a WM Megalite bag I'd go for the WM Flash jacket. Their quality of materials and workmanship is second to none PLUS it's made in the U.S., whereas Montbell is a French company.

Eric

Wrong on both counts.

Montbell is a Japanese company- not French.

http://www.montbell.us/about/

Western Mountaineering's bags are made in the US, but their
garmets are made in Canada.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Jackets%20%26%20Vests

Edited by obchristo (08/16/09 11:39 PM)

#120338 - 09/04/09 11:44 PM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Parka? [Re: obchristo]
MedicineMan Offline

the Flash arrived last week...sweet piece of kit and it does weight 11ounces for size XL based on my digital. As all WM gear the workmanship is perfect. Some complaints I've read about the pockets but none from me the side rises enough to keep small things from simply falling out, though there is no zip for added security. The hood is very balaclava like which is something I love with my hoodies (Beartooth, Azuwool). I haven't decided about the color yet, I chose blue. I've got most of this type gear in black and just wanted to be able to tell the difference quickly based on color...done the same thing when possible with my Arc series quilts from Nunatak.

#120345 - 09/05/09 06:25 AM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Parka? [Re: MedicineMan]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Popped into Pro Mountain Sport two weeks ago in Seattle since I was there on my way to a couple of hikes in WA. They had MontBell as well as the WM Hodded jacked. Got the Flash, a blue one in spite of the fact that I prefer Charcoal ( still have no idea why...)
The Flash jacket worked very well for me at camp with just a base wool layer under ( 140 or 200 IceBreaker) .
The temperature dropped down to only about 4c (39f) so I had no use for it in my Ultralite (used as a quilt and still too warm ) but very nice for my usual toilet break at around midnight.
Be very careful with the fabric (very thin/fragile) as I have a small hole in mine (repaired with some glue...) after I caught it on something when fiddling at camp. You also need to become proficient in pulling those "feathers" back into it , more in proportion than with their bags.
I would suggest storing it into a light stuff sac(inside the backpack) , Pro Mountain Sport kindly gave me one from Integral Design.
Franco

#120363 - 09/05/09 04:05 PM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Pa [Re: Franco]
CWF Offline

What Franco said. To add, I normally wear my rain shell over the WM so as to protect the shell fabric of the WM.

#120411 - 09/06/09 05:58 AM Re: WM Hooded Flash Jacket vs Montbell UL Inner Pa [Re: CWF]
MedicineMan Offline

second the motion on the rain shell for protection...tore a nice hole in a WM Flight years ago in an AT shelter and learned that lesson.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum