Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116436 - 05/24/09 11:49 AM Do you take a book/s?
keepitlow Offline

Loc: NE US
Or are books too heavy to fool with on the trail?

#116437 - 05/24/09 12:20 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I am too bookish to go without a book. One of my off-season tasks is searching out interesting paperbacks in a compact format that weigh about 6 oz. I tend to read for about an hour after going to bed each evening.

I have a marked preference for Penguin paperback editions, since they seem to have plenty of interesting titles, readable typefaces, and more pages per ounce than other mass market paperbacks.

Recently I bought a 1.5 oz 2GB "Zen Stone" MP3 player that has a small speaker I can listen to, since I hate earbuds. The battery lasts about 12 hours using the speaker on a low volume. This summer I will experiment with listening to books instead of reading them. If it works out, I can save about 1/4 lb!

#116438 - 05/24/09 12:31 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: aimless]
cat Offline

Loc: Alaska
I go to the used bookstore & pick a book based on size & weight. When I backpack where we have a fire the pages become firestarter or I have been known to pass a book piece by to piece to backpacking partners.

#116439 - 05/24/09 12:42 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: aimless]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Yeah, I'm a reading addict too! I can do without but will spend time unraveling a garbage-juice soaked newspaper to read if that is an alternative. Our library has a "Friends of the Library" bookstore that has a huge selection of paperbacks. Prior to a trip I stop by and pick up my reading material. My tastes range from "sex and violence" thrillers to the more uplifting stuff such as the Tao Te Ching and Epictetus. What I take depends on my mood but I always have something with me to read.

Edited by Pika (05/24/09 12:48 PM)

#116442 - 05/24/09 01:49 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
No, I don't. My work requires a lot of professional reading, and my personal reading tastes run toward heavier non-fiction (Alan Greenspan's Age of Turbulence and Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel and Collapse are recent examples.) Those don't really fit in to the more laid-back hiking trips I prefer. I actually don't mind spending an hour or two sitting on the bank of a creek watching the water, or just sitting in camp sipping water and eating trail mix while the world gets dark around me.

Sometimes, though, I'll take along a map of the next trip I want to take, and start doing some planning.

Edited by Glenn (05/24/09 01:51 PM)

#116461 - 05/24/09 08:49 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
There was almost a 20 year break in my backpacking when I returned to the trail with my bride. On our first trip I carried more than five pounds of trail guides. "Oh yeah, now I remember why I didn't do that before..."

So I started taking a Reader's Digest. If I got bored with that I studied the owner's manual of my camera or something similar. Now I take an mp3 player (I too have the Diamond books but haven't got to them yet). Trouble is, the narrated fiction I have lulls me to sleep...I don't know how many stories I've started over 'cause I slept through the ending... grin

FB

#116462 - 05/24/09 09:23 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: Fiddleback]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Almost never leave home without a book. I try for a small paperback but have been know to take two shocked. SciFi and Fantasy. I read enough heavy stuff for work I want entertainment on the trail. I even pack them back home too as I have been frequently know to reread books after a year or two.

#116463 - 05/24/09 10:34 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: thecook]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I take a book. I do tons of professional reading and goo at work, but love to read, and don't associate professional reading with fun reading. I usually take a *small* paperback. but it depends on the trip. if I'm in my typical summer hiking mode I'll take a thin paperback that I can read a little bit of to fall asleep in my hammock at night, because I spend almost my entire day on the move, I still do like a "little bit" to read at night, but I might read a chapter or less.

In winter, or snowshoe weather. I take books. lots of big beefy read for hours books - because I know in winter I won't be moving all day, or even if I am the day is very short, so I spend a lot of time in camp. Doesn't mean I'll always spend it reading, but when it gets dark at 4 PM, It sure is nice to have a big read in a blizzard. I find it amazingly relaxing to just sit and read by candlelight, making the occasional cuppa tea, snuzzled in a pile of down when it's -25C and nasty outside my tent... But Maybe I'm weird wink

Cracked through the latest spider robinson on my most recent trip, but again, being on snow, and it only being travelable before mid afternoon, I was stopping early in the day.

Browse my pictures

#116472 - 05/25/09 01:25 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: aimless]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
aimless:

Quote:
One of my off-season tasks is searching out interesting paperbacks in a compact format that weigh about 6 oz...

I don't have a video camera yet, but here's the script for the clip I'd post if I did:

Ultralight-hiker-type in the stacks at the local used bookstore. He's got a digital scale on the table and a stack of paperback books beside it.

(Note: I think I'd use my sailor neighbor two slips over from me for the part, my friend Max, age 90, although he's gone sailing over in the Bahamas <with his 60-year-old girlfriend.> Dressed in some zip-off pants and a self-wicking TNF t-shirt, he could easily pass for [b]MY
hiking partner.)

The "hiker" takes a book from the stack and sets it on the scale. He looks at the readout and then at the book, disgustedly.

Max: "Hmmmm. 'War and Peace,' -- Tolstoy. Seven ounces. Crap!" he says in a chagrined voice as he pitches it aside.[/b]

grin laugh

Quote:
...MP3 player that has a small speaker...

There's a chance we might have been at the same backcountry campsite last year. You had the small speaker(s) in your tent and we were camped across the lake from you when I reached over and shook my wife in our tent and grumbled something about Moby to her. She said, "I don't hear Moby!"

I bolted upright in the mummy bag, banging my head on the ceiling/roof of our single-walled Tarptent, and shouted, "It ain't Moby, somebody's reciting Melville's "Moby Dick!" grin

I really like Moby -- great hiking music. I'm definitely bringing some Moby and my speaker(s) if I can swing that NW-Pacific group trip this year. Haven't put my name in yet, but figure I'll do like Horst Buccholtz did in The Magnificent Seven and tag along about a quarter-mile behind til Yul Brenner (or who<whom>ever) waves me into camp. Like Horst, hopefully I'll bring just-caught fish.

(Two days til we leave Miami for the mountains, 4 good.)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#116486 - 05/25/09 01:22 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: kevonionia]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I know you were just ribbing me, but I feel the need to defend my honor. crazy

You must understand, I am so fond of solitude and so phobic of camping near others that last summer I did not spend a single night in a place where I was within a 1/3 mile of another tent. About 80% of the time there wasn't a soul within 3 miles of my campsite.

#116493 - 05/25/09 03:51 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: cat]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By cat
I go to the used bookstore & pick a book based on size & weight. When I backpack where we have a fire the pages become firestarter or I have been known to pass a book piece by to piece to backpacking partners.

+1.

Sometimes, the day's reading will easily heat water for meals in my Kelly Kettle. How's that for dual use?

Or......I just found an Iphone app that has 15 or so classics for a buck. I just started the Call of the Wild .

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#116513 - 05/26/09 03:18 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: phat]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
I always have books.
Now I'm "sold" to ebooks reader!
Batteries fully loaded, I can go for some evenings of reading (about 4000 pages). Of course not for weeks long trip in the backcountry without a computer in sight, but good for travelling, as it take one/one and a half hour on USB to be completely loaded.
Lighter than a paperback, and about the same size...

#116521 - 05/26/09 10:15 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
I've yet to bring a book on the trail, though at the end of the day when I'm sitting around camp, I sometimes wish I had a book. Maybe I'll start doing so this year, who knows. Chances are I'll bring a book, set up camp, see a place I want to go check out and my book will be negelcted, lol.

#116524 - 05/26/09 10:40 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: aimless]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
aimless:

Yeah, just kidding -- I'll do anything in a weak attempt at a joke.

Quote:
I am so fond of solitude and so phobic of camping near others that last summer I did not spend a single night in a place where I was within a 1/3 mile of another tent.

I plan on doing the same thing when we get to Colorado, only I'll publish endless posts, pix and a book about it and ruin it for me.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#116528 - 05/26/09 11:02 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: kevonionia]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By kevonionia

Don't forget, those guys were doing that multiple times. because when they got over the pass there some guy in a mountie suit:

Would not let them onto the trail in Canada without a *TON* of goods to support themselves...

And to think we bitch about bear canisters....

Browse my pictures

#116570 - 05/26/09 09:57 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Am bibliophile. Must have books.

Just got a sony digital reader. Taking it with me to Aussie next month. After that I'll see about taking it on the trail.

#116588 - 05/27/09 05:57 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
I take a few magazines, or sudoku/crossword paperbacks. Some come in a nice small size. During the colder months and the days are short, it gets pretty boring inside a tent with nothing much to do.

#116599 - 05/27/09 12:22 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Okay, I’m psyching myself up to reveal my nerdiness. I take the newest Campmor catalog and memorize it before hitting the sack.

I do wish for a campmor style catalog that just listed all our cottage industry friends’ products.

-Barry

#116639 - 05/28/09 12:37 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: BarryP]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Barry... that's a great idea! Get on it!

#116748 - 05/30/09 01:58 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: keepitlow]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
OK, I'm the anit-intellect! Most often I do not take a book. When I do, I seldom finish it because I am just too busy exploring and photographing. If I take a book it has to be under 6 oz. And there is nothing worse than carrying the extra weight of a book, only to have it turn out to be a bad book. In the evening in the tent, I write about the day and study my maps to get a good feel for the next day's travel. I am also a person that has no trouble going to sleep at 7PM and getting 10-12 hours sleep!

#116749 - 05/30/09 02:47 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: wandering_daisy]
CAbackpacker Offline

Loc: Northern California
I've gotten into the habit of getting audio-books & take an IPod Classic w me w the recorded audio-books, that way I only have the very low weight of the IPod (I think 7 oz?), but I have a number of audio book options as well as different recordings (music, meditation recordings,etc.) so whatever mood I'm in to listen to presentations on different subjects I have that option! smile The battery life of the IPod Classic is 30 hours - so I've yet to run out of battery life on any of my trips!

#116752 - 05/30/09 04:55 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: CAbackpacker]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm a little surprised youse guyz aren't all carrying one of these:

Dual use, baby!

Cheers,

#117033 - 06/08/09 06:38 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: Rick_D]
Perkolady Offline

Loc: GA
I like bringing a lightweight book. Nothing too scary though! Usually something outdoor related.

#117035 - 06/08/09 08:21 PM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: Perkolady]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
With War and Peace, why would anyone want to take the whole book for one trip? It's not exactly fast reading, even for a speed reader like me.

For backpacking trips, I sliced up an old ratty pocket edition Bible and carry the section I'm reading in a sandwich bag. Generally only about 1/2 ounce. There's nothing wrong with slicing up a Bible or any other book into sections. The Bible is quite slow reading so is perfect for this purpose.

When traveling, I generally took along a novel in French, since my reading speed in French is a fraction of what it is in English. For a three month's trip, something like Dumas' "Les Trois Mousquetaires" (Three Musketeers) was perfect--I didn't get to the end until almost the end of the flight home from Europe!

#117040 - 06/09/09 03:52 AM Re: Do you take a book/s? [Re: OregonMouse]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

When traveling, I generally took along a novel in French, since my reading speed in French is a fraction of what it is in English. For a three month's trip, something like Dumas' "Les Trois Mousquetaires" (Three Musketeers) was perfect--I didn't get to the end until almost the end of the flight home from Europe!

Weird, I do exactly the same, usually take books in english, not that I'm slower, but because I tend to read for shorter periods (I would devour a whole book in one session...)...And when travelling english books are easy to swap, too! Even the books I have downloaded in my ereader are mostly in english...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum