Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116270 - 05/19/09 07:14 PM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: ]
MountainMinstrel Offline

My wife and I had the opportunity to go to Bryce Canyon last year. We were in the same situation as you were and had a great time driving to all of the different viewing points. We were even able to take a short hike down into the canyon. It was a very memorable day.

ken

#116271 - 05/19/09 07:15 PM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: ]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
When? What dates?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#116275 - 05/19/09 08:26 PM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: ]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I'd go for Zion and/or Bryce. Grand Canyon is great, but to get down very far into the Canyon is a substantial committment in time (just did a 3-day backpacking trip there in March). Bryce is a climb-down-in experience too, if I recall correctly, but I don't believe it takes as much time to experience it, and it's pretty cool down in.

Zion is my favorite, I think, of all three --- climbing up to Angel's Landing is a hoot if you're not bothered by heights. You could at least get a taste of the narrows, and just getting an overall feel for that park via the bus system might give you a taste of what you want to come back for and spend more time doing on a later trip.

OTOH, just one day might be frustrating there, whereas Bryce could be experienced pretty well in just a day IMO.

#116297 - 05/20/09 08:00 AM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: ]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
SirMolay:

With 8-12 hours I'd still say go to the south rim of the GC, take the shuttle to the stops and view it, maybe do a short foray down one of the trails. It involves the least drive time and seeing it will certainly make you want to come back and hike in it. There'll still be lots of people there, but not as bad as mid-summer, same with the temps -- better than mid-summer, too.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#116301 - 05/20/09 09:36 AM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: kevonionia]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By kevonionia
SirMolay:

With 8-12 hours I'd still say go to the south rim of the GC, take the shuttle to the stops and view it, maybe do a short foray down one of the trails. It involves the least drive time and seeing it will certainly make you want to come back and hike in it. There'll still be lots of people there, but not as bad as mid-summer, same with the temps -- better than mid-summer, too.

I'm with Kevon. I would hit the GC. I would choose the north rim instead, but maybe because I haven't actually seen the south rim, and the north rim was awesome last year (despite carrying a 30lb kid and making sure my other kids didn't fall off the narrow trail).

#116337 - 05/20/09 10:20 PM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: BrianLe]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I also would say Zion and Angle's Landing - it is like a mini- Half Dome Cables route. We went through Zion several years back with only a day- about enough to drive through and do Angel's landing and camp one night at a beautiful campground.

If you go to Grand Canyon you will want to go down to the river and it is frustrating not to have enough time to do this!

#116340 - 05/20/09 10:52 PM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: ]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
As someone who has spent time at GC, I'd say go for Zion. You CAN do the tourist thing and peek over the edge at GC but I think you'd get more in depth with dayhikes at the other locations.

If you go to the GC, I'd suggest South Rim. Stay away from the circus around the hotels and Bright Angel Trail. Go to the new Visitor Center and walk to Mather Point because it IS a great view. Then head out the S. Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point. It's a good half day hike for most people. (Remember time back to the rim is about double time down the trail.)

#116435 - 05/24/09 10:39 AM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: ]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I've been to all several times, and last December my family and I visited Zion, Bryce and the GC all in one trip.

Trying to think from your POV, my vote is for Zion/Bryce. More opportunities for short day hikes and much more diverse scenery. Plus, I think the drive to get there is more scenic than the GC.

There is a free shuttle from the visitor center up Zion canyon (can't take your car even if you want to) leading to many trail heads. At the end of the road a TH leads to "The Narrows" where you can hike along the stream bed and in the water. Beautiful and very refreshing on a hot day. There are also grottos and overlooks to explore on other trails. See here.

I think you will feel rushed trying to see both parks in 8-12 hours. Personally I would just go for Zion as it's only a couple of hours out of Vegas and there is so much to see there.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#116558 - 05/26/09 07:45 PM Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon [Re: ]
mockturtle Offline

Loc: WA
My vote goes to Bryce & Zion, both--to me--more breathtaking and more memorable than the GC. JMHO, of course...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum