Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115678 - 05/08/09 11:31 AM Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area.
Yosemitehiker63 Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi! If your looking for some great trips to do in Yosemite National Park as well as the Sabrina lake area near Bishop, I have been Hiking and Backpacking these areas for the last 20+yrs. On my website you can view these trips with Maps and HD Pictures under Yosemite Trips & Pictures and Other Trips. Let me know what you think. Thanks Gary Website: www.yosemitetrail.net smile

#115687 - 05/08/09 12:56 PM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: Yosemitehiker63]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Nice pictures. The three Yosemite trips are pretty standard, but it is nice to see the pictures. I just briefly looked at the blog - are there more than three trips? If so, it is not quickly aparent. But then, I am not the most computer literate person in the world!

I see that you have sponsors. I am curious as to your purpose. Are you trying to establish a central location where people submit trip reports and information? Sort of a Yosemite wikipedia? Is there new information on your blog that is not in current guidebooks? Are you coordinated with the NPS website? All this "blog" stuff is pretty mysterious to me. I do know that it is really tough right now in the guidebook publishing business, so blogs may be the way of the future.

Good luck on your pursuit.

#115718 - 05/08/09 09:49 PM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: wandering_daisy]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I see that you have sponsors. I am curious as to your purpose.

This is a commercial website. He advertises guiding services under his "Services" Menu http://www.yosemitetrail.net/Services.html

Not sure if this is a permitted use of this site?

#115720 - 05/08/09 10:57 PM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: Keith]
Yosemitehiker63 Offline

Keith if you look at the website again you will see that I am not a guide it does not say any ware that I offer a guide service. I am a videographer that is also an avid backpacker, I have been working on a backpacking video my second one actually on popular trails in Yosemite park.

It’s for people who are avid backpackers and want a variety of trail information. Short trips or long, I offer info on both I also post pictures of the trips as I do them in Yosemite as well as other trails throughout California. I will be posting two more in August.

As for the services, I do on occasion go out on trips already planned by people who have been backpacking for years and tag along to film their trip; I bring my own gear and tag along that’s it which is usually a camera, tripod and backpacking gear.

I do not have allot of time to film trips as I must use that time to film my own but if someone wanted a trip filmed and I can fit it into my schedule I will do it. Last year I filmed one, that’s all I had time for. My website is primarily an information website if you took the time to really go through it you would see that this is the case.

I love to hike and there is not much out there by way of video that really show off the back country, I have even had older people interested in my videos as they are to old to hike very far and like the fact that they can still see the back country even though they can’t get back their themselves.
smile

#115724 - 05/09/09 01:29 AM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: Yosemitehiker63]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Gary,
You are correct that you are offering video services, not guiding services. We are a bit sensitive here to first time posts that look like commercial ventures of some sort. Whether your post is in technical violation of the rules here, the moderators will decide. I don't see that you are really in violation of the intent or spirit of the policies and personally -- on second look -- dont really have a problem with the fact that the site you are sharing pictures with us also has services for hire available. Historically, we have been supportive of "cottage industries" and it would seem you fall into that category, if anything.

Thanks for the clarification and correction of my impressions. I did enjoy the photos. I hope you don't feel put off by the way the quality of this site is somewhat jealously guarded by members here as well as the moderators.

Welcome, and I hope to see more photos and trip reports in the future.

#115731 - 05/09/09 11:16 AM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: Keith]
Yosemitehiker63 Offline

No Keith, not at all in fact this site is exactly what I was looking for. I primarily cater to the professional backpacker who loves the outdoors as much as I do and as far as the service goes, well it’s nice when you get a little older to be able to look back and watch at least one of the many trips you did with a couple of your friends, the little things that make you laugh and remember just how beautiful it was and how much you enjoyed it.

Though I am par shell to Yosemite, I am planning on adding more trips in other parks throughout the US. I head off to Olympic National Park in 30 days, I will be doing at least one trip in the rain forest which I will also probably post picture on my website; and then it’s off to Yosemite for 3wks.

I shoot with a professional HD camera at a film frame rate so the pictures come out fantastic. The pictures that you see on my website are HD stills that I grabbed off the camera with my professional editing system. The real purpose of my website is to promote the great trips that all of us serious hikers and backpackers alike are looking for, where do I want to go? How much time do I have and does it fit the kind of experience that I want to enjoy on this trip.

What I would really like to do down the road would be to Film the Pacific Crest Trail from one end of California to the other that would be awesome, anyway thanks for the welcome Keith and have a great weekend.

#116208 - 05/18/09 02:17 PM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: Yosemitehiker63]
Yosemitehiker63 Offline

New pictures added to Website of Bryce Canyon National Park. If you would like to see the new pictures of Bryce Canyon when you go to the Website, at the upper left corner of the page click to see additional pictures of trip's I have taken throughout the USA.
www.yosemitetrail.net

Edited by Yosemitehiker63 (05/18/09 02:19 PM)

#116209 - 05/18/09 02:22 PM Re: Backcountry photos of Calif & Yosemite [Re: Yosemitehiker63]
Yosemitehiker63 Offline

New pictures added to Website of Bryce Canyon National Park. If you would like to see the new pictures of Bryce Canyon when you go to the Website, at the upper left corner of the page click to see additional pictures of trip's I have taken throughout the USA. enjoy smile
www.yosemitetrail.net

#116381 - 05/22/09 01:41 AM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: Yosemitehiker63]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Yosemitehiker63
No Keith, not at all in fact this site is exactly what I was looking for. I primarily cater to the professional backpacker who loves the outdoors as much as I do and as far as the service goes, well it’s nice when you get a little older to be able to look back and watch at least one of the many trips you did with a couple of your friends, the little things that make you laugh and remember just how beautiful it was and how much you enjoyed it.

"Professional backpacker?" the only one I know is Andrew Skurka.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#116424 - 05/23/09 02:56 PM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: lori]
Yosemitehiker63 Offline

Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By Yosemitehiker63

"Professional backpacker?" the only one I know is Andrew Skurka.

Not really sure what your point is? Does seem kind of aggressive, I am sure that you know more than one professional backpacker or should I say extremely skilled backpacker in the world. I myself have been backpacking for over 20 years; I own 5 packs, 4 sleeping bags, two tents, 4 different types of boots and a variety of equipment, all for different types of hiking. I have logged more than 1,800 miles on foot in my lifetime of hiking as well as cross country trips ECT… and there are many more people out there like me. So again not quite sure what you mean by your statement but I did not join this forum to debate with someone over something so silly, just offering information for hikers and backpackers abroad especially backpackers out of country who would like to see what great hikes we have here in the states. Sorry if my post disturbed you, have a great summer and good hiking. Gary

Edited by Yosemitehiker63 (05/24/09 11:39 PM)

#116473 - 05/25/09 01:49 AM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: Yosemitehiker63]
lori Offline

I wanted to know what you meant by professional. Why you infer any hostility in the question is rather beyond me. The word "professional" tends to mean someone does something for a living, ie makes money doing it, and I was wondering if that was what you meant, because so very few of us are lucky enough to land jobs that allow us to do it on the job - I figured you were out following Andrew Skurka around, or filming Outward Bound trips, or maybe one of those "reality" survival guys.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#116658 - 05/28/09 11:09 AM Re: Great Trips to do in Yosemite & Sabrina L area. [Re: lori]
Yosemitehiker63 Offline

Originally Posted By lori
I wanted to know what you meant by professional. Why you infer any hostility in the question is rather beyond me. The word "professional" tends to mean someone does something for a living, ie makes money doing it, and I was wondering if that was what you meant, because so very few of us are lucky enough to land jobs that allow us to do it on the job - I figured you were out following Andrew Skurka around, or filming Outward Bound trips, or maybe one of those "reality" survival guys.

Well Lori, that’s fine it just would have been nice for you to be a little more descriptive in your quote - as you just did. I guess my choice of words should have been extremely skilled as I stated in my last quote, you are correct in your assessment of the word professional.
I have made some money on my videos though it’s not my main source of income. Its more of combining a side business with a passion for the outdoors, I am trying to offer serious backpackers something to really help them decide that next big trip. I did make a video 15 yrs ago on Yosemite National Park though it was nothing like the one I am currently working on now, and have been for the last 3 yrs. It will cover probably 6 popular trails in Yosemite that have been chosen based on what they have to offer, verses time you have to invest. There will also be a bonus trip at the end (of the Sabrina Lake area by bishop) most likely 7 trips in total.
I am also working on a backpacking project I will be trying to sell to a major network such as you stated in your last quote, but I cannot talk too much about that now as I am not far enough along with that project yet. I can say one thing, it’s going to be good but I need to get this project finished first so I can invest more time in that one. Enjoy your summer and good hiking.

Edited by Yosemitehiker63 (05/28/09 11:20 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum