Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115478 - 05/04/09 02:50 PM New SPOT?
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I read a while back that the SPOT locater was changing the unit to update the unit and/or the communications. Is this true or am I just dreaming? Is there a new unit or is it still the same as it has always been? I am really confused because I see reviews which say the unit is barely operational and others who say it works 90% of the time. My impression was that it was working on a cellphone network but now the information says satellite signal. If it works only on a cellphone signal I might as well just use the cellphone.

#115510 - 05/05/09 01:29 AM Re: New SPOT? [Re: GrumpyGord]
ramkitten Offline

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona
I don't know about the SPOT being changed, but as far as I've always understood it, it works with the same satellites that GPS's do. My SAR coordinator has one, and he really likes his. And he's not one to compliment a piece of gear if he doesn't think it's up to par. But, no, it's not the same system as cellphones.

#115511 - 05/05/09 03:06 AM Re: New SPOT? [Re: ramkitten]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I hung on to my wallet when they went on sale, hoping for a new improved generation.

I'll just keep waiting. Been hiking without one for 40 years so I figure I can wait a little longer.

My opinion so far:

1) They're better than nothing.

2) There is room for improvement.

3) The benefit of the present generation does not justify the cost and weight for the situations I find myself in.

4) The unit is aptly named. Its performance is......spotty.

5) I'm confident that the market will drive Spot or another manufacturer to produce a much better product and I'm willing to wait for it.

#115513 - 05/05/09 06:30 AM Re: New SPOT? [Re: Trailrunner]

Thanks. I guess that I will wait also. The thing that I really do not understand is that one reviewer will state that it is missing 90% of the signals and the next review says that it is sending 90%. If I were relatively sure that 90% success were normal I would probably give it more serious consideration. 90% success rate in the city does nothing for me. It has to work where I will need it.

The thing which got me looking at this again is the friend of mine who was lost on the AT (see discussion below). I do not have his low vision problem so I probably am not in quite the same position but I also can get lost.

At this time I also view it as an expensive toy but if I were lost for a few days I am sure that I would wish that I had spent twice the cost of the unit.

#115533 - 05/05/09 02:41 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Unless they significantly improve the SPOT's performance and reliability--enough to justify the rather stiff annual fee--I'll set my sights on the next generation of PLBs that are sure to come out.

While they don't allow for checking in "okay" (the SPOT's genius feature, IMHO) they're absolutely reliable in most parts of the globe in the critical feature: getting help.

That poor fellow who died after falling last fall in Emigrant Wilderness may have been rescued had he had a PLB instead of a SPOT.

Cheers,

#115540 - 05/05/09 04:58 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: Rick_D]
dla Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By Rick_D
Unless they significantly improve the SPOT's performance and reliability--enough to justify the rather stiff annual fee--I'll set my sights on the next generation of PLBs that are sure to come out.

While they don't allow for checking in "okay" (the SPOT's genius feature, IMHO) they're absolutely reliable in most parts of the globe in the critical feature: getting help.

That poor fellow who died after falling last fall in Emigrant Wilderness may have been rescued had he had a PLB instead of a SPOT.

Cheers,

SPOT worked fine. SAR sucked.

Here's the story of what happened. SPOT did exactly what it was supposed to do. The problem was that SAR couldn't do it's job. They knew where he was, and they knew he was in trouble.

#115541 - 05/05/09 05:03 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: GrumpyGord]
dla Offline

Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
I really do not understand is that one reviewer will state that it is missing 90% of the signals and the next review says that it is sending 90%.

SPOT's UI would make a good IQ test. People on the high-end love SPOT and it works great for them. But I think SPOT should accomodate those "other" people too.

#115557 - 05/05/09 09:20 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: Rick_D]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I pretty much agree with Rick. The subscription fee for Spot is outrageous. I like the "I'm okay for now" feature, but not at that yearly cost.

I actually (less than an hour and half ago) bit the bullet and ordered an McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB with GPS. It's a 5.3 oz, $300 major OUCH! However, I'm going on a six-day solo on the Tuscarora in less than two weeks, and everyone is freaking out. Not a friggin' soul cares about the planning I've been doing since 2007, they all just think it's too dangerous. The only folks who understand the need to do this are right here on this forum. I'd probably have gotten away without one on this trip, but I'm planning to do the whole trail this year - that's a lot more solo trips.

Thanks for listening . . .

#115655 - 05/07/09 11:46 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: ramkitten]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By ramkitten
I don't know about the SPOT being changed, but as far as I've always understood it, it works with the same satellites that GPS's do. My SAR coordinator has one, and he really likes his. And he's not one to compliment a piece of gear if he doesn't think it's up to par. But, no, it's not the same system as cellphones.

SPOT operates two systems-the GPS and the actual signaling which does not use the same satellites. To understand how SPOT works, read this detailed test done by an engineer and one the most experienced hikers I know.

If anyone wants to know exactly how the SPOT works, this is the article to read.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/guide/help-find-me-spot-gear-test.html

Edited by TomD (05/08/09 08:58 PM)

#115677 - 05/08/09 11:25 AM Re: New SPOT? [Re: TomD]
dla Offline

Excellent review! Intelligently written. Mirrors my experience exactly. Thanks for posting that review.

#115713 - 05/08/09 08:52 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: dla]
TomD Offline

Bill knows what he is talking about. He has climbed and hiked all over the world. He goes to the OR show and talks to all the reps about gear. I've never met him in person but know him through Trailspace. Jim Shaw is a friend of Bill's.

Think you (meaning any of us, me included) know a few things? Check out Bill's resume-
http://home.pacbell.net/wstraka/inetbio.htm

If Bill says a piece of gear is good, bad or indifferent, I listen to him. He knows more about GPSRs than a lot of people who make or sell them.

Edited by TomD (05/08/09 08:56 PM)

#115742 - 05/09/09 02:13 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: GrumpyGord]

I think one of the factors at play here is that many of us in the hiking community really want this to work. The concept is great but apparently the implantation is not so great. If some rather minor changes were made it appears that it could be a much better unit. The cost is relatively high and the subscription fee is quite high for most of us who would only use the unit a few times a year. If I thought that it were a good value I would probably still pay just for my own and my families peace of mind.

Another disturbing fact here is the the parent company Globalstar looks a little shaky. They have been sued for misrepresenting the condition of their satellites. Their financial statements do not inspire confidence either. The response is via human interaction and I would hate to be lost in the boonies when they went chapter 7. Also I would hate to be dependent on a satellite which may fail.

#115745 - 05/09/09 04:13 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: GrumpyGord]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Another disturbing fact here is the the parent company Globalstar looks a little shaky. They have been sued for misrepresenting the condition of their satellites. Their financial statements do not inspire confidence either. The response is via human interaction and I would hate to be lost in the boonies when they went chapter 7. Also I would hate to be dependent on a satellite which may fail.

Yes, but let me play devil's advocate a bit with you. (and understand this is from the perspective of someone who carrys a "real" ACR plb, not a SPOT). I was just having this discussion with someone who flies SAR. We had a plane crash in the northern rockies recently, they had a SPOT and a PLB beacon. Here, the PLB beacon relays throught he CSAR coordination centres which are with the military SAR bases in Vancover and Trenton Ontario - They got SAR to the plane by the SPOT, not the plb, just because the message and coordinates got relayed to the frontline guys sooner.. Go figure.

ANY piece of gear can fail. (I would hazard the MTBF of the spot or my plb is probably shorter than a satellite - and the satellite itself a lot more reliable than a cel tower..) Would I take a SPOT over nothing? probably. Would I depend on either the SPOT or my PLB as a substitute for not being an idiot and being prepared to get my own sorry butt out of anything I get into, no....

Browse my pictures

#115760 - 05/09/09 11:00 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Globalstar is a sat phone network. Two sat phone rental sites I checked recently have downgraded using Globalstar. One quit using them completely, the other says "30% reliability" and recommends using Iridium instead.

No idea how that will affect SPOT since the signals are different-data v. voice, but it doesn't sound encouraging.

#115764 - 05/10/09 01:49 AM Re: New SPOT? [Re: TomD]
dla Offline

Originally Posted By TomD
Globalstar is a sat phone network. Two sat phone rental sites I checked recently have downgraded using Globalstar. One quit using them completely, the other says "30% reliability" and recommends using Iridium instead.

No idea how that will affect SPOT since the signals are different-data v. voice, but it doesn't sound encouraging.

The sat phone service is a totally different from the SPOT service. A simple Google would've cleared that up before posting FUD on a forum.

#115769 - 05/10/09 10:00 AM They lied! [Re: Folkalist]
Folkalist Offline

Received and registered my McMurdo Fast Find 210. Mom and Dad and Michael and sister and miscellaneous other people are a bit less anxious about my solo hikes now. frown

But the company lied!!!!! It doesn't weigh 5.3 ounces; it weighs 5.5 ounces. Now I have to leave a sock behind to make up the difference . . . confused

#115774 - 05/10/09 10:29 AM Re: They lied! [Re: Folkalist]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Folkalist

But the company lied!!!!! It doesn't weigh 5.3 ounces; it weighs 5.5 ounces. Now I have to leave a sock behind to make up the difference . . . confused

Awww.. 5.5 ounces.. Muffin....

It's a heck of a lot lighter than my ACR microfix! smile

Browse my pictures

#115780 - 05/10/09 02:09 PM Re: They lied! [Re: phat]
Folkalist Offline

The ACR Microfix is listed at 10 ounces. Ouch. Bet you had to leave socks AND underwear at home!

#115787 - 05/10/09 02:54 PM Re: They lied! [Re: Folkalist]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
My Microfix weighs in at 10.3 oz. I gave up underwear a long time ago so that doesn't help. The good news is that if I carry the thing my wife lets me go out alone.

#115789 - 05/10/09 03:53 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: dla]
TomD Offline

Globalstar claims on their website that their tracking system, presumably they mean SPOT, although they are not clear about that, is working. However, this company has a history of problems with various services it has offered and that was my point.

I did not say the SPOT service had the same problems. However, I do think with any product like this, if you are going to buy one, check to make sure the system is fully operational before relying on it.

#115798 - 05/10/09 07:08 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: TomD]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Tom D
Yeah sure Bill S is a great guy for a real curmudgeon. He's the guy who got me to go to an orienteering meet and told me not to bother with spiked shoes - well I slipped and shattered my leg. but besides that he shows great judgement - like only eating at Burger King.

Anyway Bill does show a lot of common sense. He has picked up on some of the gear I showed him - Like he got a Bibler Eldorado and seam sealed it after examining mine on a winter camping trip. He had to get a Kelty spectra pack and titanium gear after checking out mine.

But do not get into a technical arguement with Bill S unless you are really prepared with in depth research.
Jim S

#115805 - 05/10/09 08:58 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: GrumpyGord]
dla Offline

Another disturbing fact here is the the parent company Globalstar looks a little shaky.

That is the biggest concern with SPOT. SPOT LLC was setup as a separate company from Globalstar. But that doesn't mean that SPOT will continue when Globalstar slides into bankruptcy never to reemerge. I like the SPOT concept and I will continue to subscribe as there is no competition and the price is acceptable to me. But the economy sucks, and SPOT has been affected like everyone else.

#115861 - 05/11/09 08:41 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: dla]
TomD Offline

The SPOT concept is a good one, but it presumes you have attentive friends who can respond to your messages. Although it does connect to the GEOS private system and through them to SAR.

According to Bill (who did the test on Trailspace), you are right about the different systems-they are on the same satellites though, although voice requires more bandwidth and power than the digital signal for the SPOT.

Operating a private satellite system is no cheap deal and they don't last forever, which is why Globalstar is having some problems-they have to replace some of the satellites.

One caveat from the GEOS website-if you sign up for their insurance policy for private rescue services, read this first-
PLEASE NOTE This benefit does not apply if:-
a) your situation is caused by circumstances such as a forecast change of weather conditions, which could reasonably have been anticipated at the date you started your trip
b) you have NOT made adequate provision of resources or training or competence needed to complete your planned trip.

Hmm, wonder who gets to decide that?

#115862 - 05/11/09 08:43 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: Jimshaw]
TomD Offline

Jim, So that's the broken leg story. I bet he has a different take on it.

Edited by TomD (05/11/09 08:43 PM)

#123548 - 11/08/09 10:44 PM Re: New SPOT? [Re: TomD]
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
I subscription is too expensive in my opinion for most of us unless you are going to be in a remote location or any place far from help, most of the hiking in my state is close enough to a house that someone can get help in a few hours easy, but that is if your no alone, I don't think most people are going far enough away from help to need such a thing, my store REI has only sold 4 since they have come out, most people freek when they find out its $150 a year even if you only use it once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum