Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111731 - 02/22/09 05:34 PM Your Trip of the Season?
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
So, for the sake of curiosity and conversation, I'm curious if anyone has any particular backpacking outting they're looking forward to more so than others they might have planned. I'm always interested in what others are thinking of doing, if they have plans at all. I probably could have/should have posted this under "Trip Plans, Reports" but I suppose the topic is a little ambiguous and it is fairly general.

I personally have nothing planned. One, because I'm hoping I get this job in Glacier NP so that my entire summer is nothing but backpacking pretty much. Two, I'm thinking I'm just going to wing it this season. Might keep things a little fun and intresting. It isn't as though at this point I need a ton of time to get thing together anyway. I already know what gear I need to bring for whatever varying situations and I've got a nice stockpile of food ready to go, lol.

I am quite sure however most, if not all of my trips, will be in Idaho. This is what is going to let me "wing it," lol.

#111738 - 02/22/09 06:44 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Well I'm a professor and my students have spring break coming up. My kids school has spring break the week after so I'm taking a solo trip. I try to take several hikes each month but generally they are just weekend things, 20 miles or so. I'm going to go 50 miles or so on the Ozark trail.

The great thing about spring hiking in the midwest is that there are no bugs yet and the leaves aren't on the trees so you can get some nice views. Summer hiking is nice too but for different reasons. In the summer I hike near streams and lakes so I can swim during the hot part of the day.

#111751 - 02/22/09 10:40 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: Heber]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Don't know what all I'll be doing this summer although I want to take my kids out a bunch of times. The one trip I KNOW I'll be doing this summer is a one or two night trip in the Pokies on the way back from the UP with my whole family. I've had the Porkies on my list for a number of years so I'm excited to get out there this summer. Hopefully by August, the bug count will be down.

#111756 - 02/23/09 12:25 AM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: thecook]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Matt:

I've got an urban-wilderness hike planned withing the month. Funny, but I've got to do "this" before spring, so I'm trying to plan it B4 mid-March. I go from Key Biscayne to Broward County -- about 30 or so miles, 3-days, two-nights. I'll post it when I do. Thanks for asking.

BTW, if you get that Glacier Nat'l Park job or not, will you let us know what you're doing this summer. Some of us will live those bp's vicariously.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#111759 - 02/23/09 12:48 AM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It's a little early to put all my eggs into one basket, but I know I will take about two weeks this summer for one or possibly long backpacks, depending on how I slice and dice the time available and the chance to resupply midway.

I like to stay within a long day's drive, if I can, so my destination will be in Oregon or Washington, with not much chance I'd stray any farther than extreme N CA.

Where I go will partly depend on snow pack and snow melt as the season approaches. I am looking at Pasayten (again), and at two different long sections of the PCT. All I know is that I will be a very happy man for two weeks, god willing and the creek don't rise.

#111773 - 02/23/09 08:55 AM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Hooking up with five guys I have never met, for a trip into the AK tundra, St. Elias-Wrangell Park, via bush pilot. Number one on my to do list. Never thought I would go or even be able to go. That's in Aug., in Oct, another trip to the Sierra, around Mammoth or there abouts.

#111777 - 02/23/09 09:59 AM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: kevonionia]
MattnID Offline

Oh, if I happen to get that job I very much plan on shouting it from the rooftops, lol.

#111778 - 02/23/09 10:00 AM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: hikerduane]
MattnID Offline

St. Elias-Wrangell should be fun. I've heard a ton of good things about the place. Always disappointed I never got the chance to make it there when I lived up there. Have fun.

#111788 - 02/23/09 12:03 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My wife & I plan on taking paddling safety courses so we can get out there & kayak more. Beyond that, nothing big planned. Maybe a few 3-day trips out to the Olympic Penninsula or Cascade range here in WA.

#111789 - 02/23/09 12:07 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: hikerduane]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By hikerduane
Hooking up with five guys I have never met, for a trip into the AK tundra, St. Elias-Wrangell Park, via bush pilot.

My dad's spent a lot of time around Wrangell. It's very rugged if you go up in the mountains. You might want to stash a week or two's worth of extra food at your pickup site in case the weather socks in your ride.

#111800 - 02/23/09 02:29 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: Wolfeye]
hikerduane Offline

Thanks guys, I need to remember to bring an extra day of food. I made the mistake of only leaving one in-town-day after the trip, should have made plane reservations to come back on Sunday not Saturday. We'll see. WooHoo!!!

We'll be staying somewhat I believe from looking at the emailed map. Glacier exploring too. Christina? Outta my way!!!

#111805 - 02/23/09 04:40 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: hikerduane]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Anxiety is already creeping up on me but, I got a permit for Aug 2nd to leave from Tenaya Lake to Sunrise and the rest of the JMT. However, I'm gonna try to get a walkin permit on the 1st to leave from Happy Isle instead. Either way, I'll end up in Tuolumne Meadows on Aug 3rd with 24 miles behind me and dead tired. From there, a couple of my brothers will join me for a few days and then I will be somewhat on my own for the rest of the trip. Really looking forward to this trip and finally have a big enough window to make it happen... Be safe and enjoy everyone....

#111816 - 02/23/09 07:28 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: Wolfeye]
mosquito Offline

Loc: Minnesota
My wife and I are going to be in the Maroon bells Wilderness area for 6 days in August.

#111829 - 02/23/09 10:05 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Breaking open the season with my sister in TN. Don't know exactly where as she is planning the trip; probably along the Cumberland.

Really determined to do a week's worth of the Tuscarora (southbound) in April or early May and then another chunk sometime in the fall.

Slight chance I might get to do a two night hike in Tasmania after I finish my work obligation in Aussie this June.

Just itching to get out there . . .

#111902 - 02/25/09 12:58 AM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: Folkalist]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Well, I have a couple things semi-planned. I am probably
going to be in Sweden in august. So some of the friends I have
there who I've taken through the rockies and down west coast trail are probably going to take me somewhere fun there.

I'm planning something in Austraila/New Zealand a year from now.

Rockies this year, I have found something off-trail in Height of the Rockies PP in BC that I plan on spending 4-5 days at this year, and I almost inevitably get drug down skyline with a friend. I actually hope to get back into
Willmore Wilderness area (north of jasper park) for some stuff
this summer. Haven't been in a number of years and it's good
stuff up there.

I have plans to head up to some nice frozen waterfalls any
weekend I can get away now...

Browse my pictures

#111909 - 02/25/09 09:16 AM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I hope to spend 10 nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon -- the permit gods willing.

I will finish the last 75 miles of the Colorado Trail with a long time hiking buddy that will be just a few days short of his 77th birthday when he completes.

I will hike about 100 miles of the Colorado CDT.

I moved my fall Grand Canyon hike to an earlier date to be available for the November Oregon trip with this forum.

#111969 - 02/26/09 05:27 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: ringtail]
grandtheory Offline

Loc: Indiana
My girlfriend and I and our dogs are spending our spring break (March 6-12) backpacking around either A) Roan Mountain State Park, or B) Cumberland Gap.

I'm leaning toward Roan Mountain. It's not too far from Boone, NC... Whenever I'm even close to that part of the country I crave the Boone Bagelry where I can get an overstuffed bagelicious (eggs, ham, bacon x 2) with munster cheese on an everything bagel and a large sweet tea with enough sugar in it to send me into a diabetic coma.

#111972 - 02/26/09 05:42 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: grandtheory]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I've got a weeklong (including travel) tip to the Black Elk Wilderness in SD in May, and my first mountaineering trek in Colorado sometime in August (I think my friend didn't tell me where or when we're going so I'd train like hell!).

#111974 - 02/26/09 05:59 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
MattnID Offline

So I've been doing some trip planning in case this summer gig I'm shooting for doesn't work out.

I'm thinking of a 4 day trip through the Sawtooth Range. Not sure on the route yet but it'd be a good one.

Then I'm really hoping to do a 2-3 day trip through the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return. I've been wanting to do something there for years, just never had the opportunity or convenience.

I'm also thinking about looking into how the Lost River Range looks. But since I've never even seen a map of the area, I've got no idea what kind of trails they've got. But I always see awesome scenery pictures from around the area that I feel compelled to see in person.

And if I've got time, maybe try and work my way to to the Bitterroot-Selway area up along the Idaho-Montana border. All I've ever done is drive that way on my way back from Glacier and Missoula so I'm wanting to get out on foot there.

I think that'll keep me busy for the summer. laugh

#111990 - 02/26/09 10:45 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: phat]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Oh, I almost forgot - the PNW trip in November!!!

. . . have to borrow a bear canister . . .

#112007 - 02/27/09 12:53 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: Folkalist]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Originally Posted By Folkalist
Oh, I almost forgot - the PNW trip in November!!!

. . . have to borrow a bear canister . . .

Not for this trail, you don't. Just "bear bag it"....or we could use Jimshaw's tent as a cache wink

BF cool

#112008 - 02/27/09 01:16 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
bigfoot2 Offline

This year i'm just doing local hikes and overnighters. Probably the PNW trip in November will be the big one. Next year is another story as i am planning to take my Archeology major daughter and my son on a 3 week tour of Egypt in the winter (2010) or early spring,that will include Alexandria, Cairo, Luxor and a Nile cruise smile I will be hiring a private guide and bringing lots of extra cash to get us into "closed" sites. While we are there, my daughter has been invited to tour the American University in Cairo (they offered her a full scholorship). I'm really not to keen on her finishing her studies there, but don't have much choice in the matter. Anyone know where to contact thoses Black Water guys to use as body guards? eek

My son and i are also in the planning stages of a backpacking trip through Ireland, which will include visiting distant relatives. I figure it will give me an excuse to wear my new Utilikilt! It's MY island, after all crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pwPlZEA-Aw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFpzXmsP0cc

When it comes in the mail, i'll do a post... "How Do I Look In My Utilikilt?" wink

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (02/27/09 02:10 PM)

#112011 - 02/27/09 02:18 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: bigfoot2]
MattnID Offline

Cool, Egypt should be a heck of a trip. One of the many places on my "To See" list. Good luck on seeing the closed stuff too, people would kill to get into some of those places.I know as a History major, I would, lol.

#112012 - 02/27/09 02:26 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
hikerduane Offline

In 2010, I will be eligible for a third week of vacation, maybe then, I can do a trip to WY, MT, or ID. Too close to fly and costly, so I would drive, which would use up some of my vacation time, time to get some contacts in those places.

#112014 - 02/27/09 02:54 PM Re: Your Trip of the Season? [Re: MattnID]
bigfoot2 Offline

Originally Posted By MattnID
Good luck on seeing the closed stuff too, people would kill to get into some of those places.I know as a History major, I would, lol.

I'm gonna' try my hardest (probably cost me a small fortune, too) eek

BF cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum