Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110634 - 02/03/09 02:11 PM Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad
Coffeefiend Offline

Loc: Mid-South USA
Hello all,
This is my first post at Backcountry Forum, and I'm excited to be in the community! I realize that a topic similar to this one has been posted, but I'm looking for advice with specific situations.

My girlfriend and I would like to plan a backpacking trip overseas (havn't yet decided where; have been considering Peru). I've only traveled abroad twice before, and have very little experience securing my possessions. I was hoping for a little advice with the following:

1. Is steel security mesh worth the money? For those who don't know, this is a steel-wire mesh that wraps around your bag and can then be secured to a stationary object (see http://www.rei.com/product/709208). It's rather expensive, and I don't want to buy it unless it'll be worth the money.

2. Is it safer to stay in a hostel or hotel in a foreign country (where valuables can be locked away) and hike during the day, or is it safe enough to bring a tent and plan to camp for most of the trip? Has anyone tried either or both of these kinds of trips?

3. Can anyone recommend countries that offer interesting backpacking and hiking opportunities that are mostly friendly to Americans?

I realize that the answers to my questions are going to depend greatly on the country of excursion. I'm hoping to get personal stories from people who've traveled abroad in this capacity, and can share from experience things they wish they had (or had not) done. Any input is appriciated. Thanks so much!

#110774 - 02/05/09 08:15 PM Re: Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad [Re: Coffeefiend]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
1. Safety mesh. Leaving your gear unattended is not safe. The mesh won't slow anyone up much.

2. Whether it is safe to camp depends on the country - and sometimes the area of the country - and may change daily. As for hotels and hostels, small, valuable items are not safe if left unattended anywhere.

3. Just about anywhere in Europe is safe as houses. Latin America - it depends on both the situation and on you. I've camped in northern Mexico a good bit. But I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who cannot communicate or who is uncomfortable with danger or violence. If you are comfortable with it, dangerous folks recognize it and move on. If not, you are prey. As for stories, I will just say that I've found the campesinos to be friendly and helpful. It's just that you can run into other people who are neither.

4. Top dollar gear marks you as a mark. Grubby, cheap gear makes you less visible. Learn how to carry money and passports securely on your clothing at all times. Inside carry pockets are good as long as you are not seen fishing around in them.

5. Touristy places attract predators. It's safer off the beaten track - as long as the reason it is not beaten is not because of bandit activity, an illegal economy or guerrilla warfare.

Edited by Spock (02/05/09 08:20 PM)

#110819 - 02/06/09 03:00 PM Re: Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad [Re: Coffeefiend]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
If you want to go backpacking and hiking, as opposed to just budget traveling and sightseeing, I recommend New Zealand. It's been years since I've been there, but I lived there for a while as well and in general, they like Americans, as long as you aren't some obnoxious yahoo who waves the flag and finds fault with everyone else on the planet, like some American tourists do.

There is crime everywhere, but some places are worse than others. One of our members had all his gear stolen in Hawaii. I lived there for years and that place is really bad for property theft. I wouldn't walk away from anything there I wanted to ever see again.

I also lived in South America, but it was a long time ago. You need to be aware of the political situation in each country you travel to. Peru shouldn't be too bad. I'd stay away from Venezuela and Bolivia (where I lived). The political situation in both is anti-American for the most part. I'd definitely avoid Columbia-there is an ongoing insurgency that has been going on for years and it is a major drug trafficking country.

#110823 - 02/06/09 05:02 PM Re: Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad [Re: Coffeefiend]
coyotemaster Offline

Loc: Arizona

#111063 - 02/11/09 12:26 AM Re: Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad [Re: TomD]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I agree with TomD that NZ is a great place to head out especially if you haven't done alot of foreign traveling (recently.)

Safe, secure, nice folks, great trails like the Abel Tazman, many places to put a tent and if none, then lots of hostels. The scenery on either island is incredible. You need to be careful wherever you travel, but you've got great odds of no problems in NZ.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#111459 - 02/18/09 02:39 PM Re: Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad [Re: kevonionia]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
A couple of things about NZ-don't forget the seasons are opposite-Summer is mid winter here. You have to be prepared for bad weather-all year round. It is not California where once summer comes, the weather is stable. A bad storm can run up on you in an hour or so in the mountains. Situational awareness is very important. People have died from hypothermia there even with the hut system because they lacked proper gear.

Also, I don't recommend trail runners, but I am sure plenty of people use them. Even on the tracks, the terrain can be rough. I had a brand new New Balance lightweight boot come apart on me from being soaked during river crossings. Speaking of which-do not ever take your boots off when crossing a river or stream in the mountains- you will almost certainly cut your feet up.

#111478 - 02/18/09 07:19 PM Re: Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad [Re: TomD]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
New Zealand and Australia..epic trips i would love to do! That reminds me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew

BF cool

#111482 - 02/18/09 09:41 PM Re: Need advice: Safety when traveling abroad [Re: bigfoot2]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I might get to do some "trekking" in Tanzania this summer when work takes me back to Sydney.

At least I'm going to try to make it work.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum