Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110608 - 02/03/09 01:10 AM REI sub kilo 20?
dtp1991 Offline

Loc: Oregon
I am a 17 year old backpacker trying to go lite for this season. I am on a very limited budget and want to make the most of my purchases. I missed the recent REI sale but i found an new REI sub kilo 20 for $150 on eBay and am wondering if i should purchase it. It would be by far my most expensive piece of gear but i hear it is a good bag. I hear the temperature rating is more like 30 but i don't plan on hiking below freezing very often.What do you all think? This is a very large purchase for me? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

#110610 - 02/03/09 02:21 AM Re: REI sub kilo 20? [Re: dtp1991]
IdahoHiker Offline

Loc: Idaho, Moscow
i just got my REI sub kilo when it was on sale about a week ago. I was in the same boat as you. 20 years old, not a lot of money, but needing a good sleeping bag. Even though i haven't tested my bag yet since it is still snowy up here in moscow, it looks and seems like a fantastic bag especially for the money. I would love to help you out with more of in depth, first hand review, but all i can give you is my first impressions. I would say go for it. Great bang for the buck.

#110636 - 02/03/09 02:21 PM Re: REI sub kilo 20? [Re: dtp1991]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The main difficulty with the Sub Kilo is that it has a fairly narrow cut and if you are broad shouldered or broad chested you may well find the space inside feels too constricted for you. If you are somewhat narrow shouldered, as I am, then it works pretty darned well and is a good buy at $150.

The chances are that another forum member will recommend that you save all your pennies until you can afford a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag. They are indeed high quality stuff that should last you for more than a decade of good use.

That is another way to go, but a darned hard way for a young person with extremely limited means. I bet $150 probably seems like a whole lot to you, and if that's so, it IS a lot. If you can stand the Sub Kilo, it will give you a couple hundred nights of warmth.

BTW, the only way to make that Sub Kilo bag a +20 is to pull your head in and cinch the top opening down to just your nose and mouth exposed, while also wearing some long underwear - just so you know.

#110642 - 02/03/09 06:14 PM Re: REI sub kilo 20? [Re: dtp1991]
dtp1991 Offline

Loc: Oregon
Thanks. I have very narrow shoulders so the fit should be an attribute. All the mens REI sub kilos are long so i am thinking of getting the womens REI sub kilo 15 long. I don't need the long in mens and the extra warmth might be helpful; my concern is it will be to warm for summer. What do you think?

#110646 - 02/03/09 07:39 PM Re: REI sub kilo 20? [Re: dtp1991]
energy_turtle Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I would also recommend looking at the REI Zephyr 20 bag. It's a synthetic bag that isn't cut too narrow like some other bags do in order to cut down on weight (like...almost every North Face bag I got in at REI). It's very warm, in fact I was hot in it at 40F and had to remove the separate mummy liner I bought and stripped down to my boxers and a thin pair of socks (and I was STILL a bit toasty.) By morning the temp had dropped to 32F or so and I was comfortable.

I bought it at REI in late December for $75 on sale only to see it for $40 at the January sale. They wouldn't price match it for me...I'm tempted to use the return policy to get my money back out of spite. I can understand if it's >60 days later or so and not matching, but within a month getting burned by almost 50% kinda stings. It's no longer online and I doubt stores will still have it, but you might find it dirt cheap on ebay if someone bought a few at that $40 price.

#110652 - 02/03/09 08:39 PM Re: REI sub kilo 20? [Re: dtp1991]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Too warm? OK, I see you're in Oregon, so I may be able to help there. On balmier nights in July or August a Sub Kilo is going to be too warm to sleep inside of for much of the night, even at 6000 feet. What you do is unzip it and lay it partly over yourself, then readjust as the night cools.

By the same token, it is very possible to see hard frost at altitude any night in July or August in the High Cascades or Wallowas. All you need is a cool front followed by clearing skies and you can be sub-freezing before midnight.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum