Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110207 - 01/27/09 08:08 PM Looking for Trail Runners
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I am now in the market for a new pair of trail running shoes. I have been using a pair of Montrail, Hardrock 08's but at 35 oz per pair, they seem a bit heavy. I would like to get something lighter but with good cushioning. I don't need any special sizing or anything; my feet aren't wide or narrow and my heel is pretty normal. I would appreciate any recommendations based on your experience. Thanks!

#110210 - 01/27/09 08:23 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

When I was trying on shoes last year, (and ended up going with the hardrocks) I tried on several varietys of the Asics Gel jobbies which felt absolutely fabulous to me for cushioning - unfortunately I could never get one that was the right width for my foot so it wasn't either pinching me in front, or too long to compensate so my heels would slip. If the asics fit your feed they might be worth a try.
Browse my pictures

#110212 - 01/27/09 08:34 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
EricKingston Offline

Loc: Michigan
Unfortunately (for you and for me), I don't have any positive recommendations. On the other hand, I do have a negative which may help narrow your search. I've had very poor experience with Merrell shoes. I own a pair of trail runners and a pair of boots made by Merrell, and they both have poor durability issues. The trail runners are on the verge of disintegrating after about a year of use, and the sole from the boots separated from the leather within the first month of casual wearing. Just an FYI!

Best of luck to you and your hunt for shoe bliss,
Eric

#110229 - 01/27/09 10:28 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: EricKingston]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I never weighted my Hardrock's, didn't realize they were that heavy. However, they do work very well the three seasons I have used them now. I want to get some Asics racing flats possibly for camp shoes, but then I am sure the 5 oz. is not for a 10.5.

#110237 - 01/27/09 11:34 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Pika,
I use regular ole New Balance 800 series. I worked in a sporting goods store for a while in college, so I first got turned on to NB after learning about the different construction methods and shock absorption systems. I like the 800 series because of the moderately aggressive tread, the light mesh in the toe box allows me to water through water without any problems with it drying in a hour, the nice mid sole and the availability of wide sizes. They are not terribly expensive either. That's my experience. I find it very easy.

#110267 - 01/28/09 12:35 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
I like my Inov 8's. I use them for hiking and trail running. They are 1/2 size larger.

#110273 - 01/28/09 01:20 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: leadfoot]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I sold on Solomon XA comps. They are light and fit my very hard to fit foot.

#110274 - 01/28/09 01:29 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Having gone through a LOT* of trail runners, I have had the best luck with Asics Gel Trabuco (model TN7B0) Like all manufacturers, Asics has too many models and each fits a little differently. So you have to shop.

Asics are reasonably priced and are as durable as anything else and vastly superior to some. They are also lightweight. I got my last pair from RunningShoes.com for $60. What a deal!RunningWarehouse also has good prices and really good information on each model.

* I have worn out one or more pairs by these makers, in alpha order with my general satisfaction from 0 to 5, zero being useless. Satisfaction is subjective for weight, durability and performance: Asics (5), GoLite (0) (the absolutely worst shoes in the world), La Sportiva (2), Merrell (4), Montrail(4) New Balance (4), Nike (3), Saucony (5), Solomon (3), Vasque Velocity (2).

Edited by Spock (01/28/09 01:32 PM)

#110277 - 01/28/09 01:48 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Spock]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
I'll back up Spock's suggestion for Acics and Saucony... they make fantastic shoes.

#110279 - 01/28/09 02:15 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm on my third pair of Hardrocks and I love them. They were all purchased in different years so they are not all exactly the same even in regard to fit, although all are size 10.5.

I experimented with lighter shoes before going to the Hardrocks but I had some durability isues. Asics and Hi-Tec come to mind. I don't mean to slam their whole line, these were just individual shoes on a single person. I found the thinner soles of lighter shoes to be uncomfortable on anything but well groomed trails. Weight savings come at a cost. IMHO shoes in the style and weight range of Hardrocks are the best compromise between weight, comfort and durability. You still see loads of them on trail race start lines, and for good reason.

Honestly, the best shoe for me is.......whatever is on sale. I paid $39.95 for my last pair of Hardrocks. I'm a horrible overpronator so my choices are more more limited than yours but it seems that something is always on sale.

I've had good luck with Solomons too. But the bottom line is, my feet are not your feet and what works for me may be painful for you and vise versa. The only true test for footwear happens many miles and many hours down the road. "Trial and error" is your only true friend. I have a closet full of shoes(just call me Imelda) that felt great at first but revealed their true colors many miles down the road. They have been relegated to casual wear or shorter hikes only.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#110280 - 01/28/09 02:29 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Trailrunner]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Sounds good Trailrunner, I don't know the terrain others have to bp on, in the Sierra there is a lot of rock for us.

#110295 - 01/28/09 06:20 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I've been trail running in Asics "gel jobbies" for over 20 years. I love them. I overpronate and like a wide toebox. They almost always have several models with light mesh over the toes if you like that. I do for trail RUNNING. However, I tried to wear my trail runners once while backpacking. My feet said things would make a sailor blush!

I might try them again though now that my pack weight is more reasonable.

I know a lot of runners though who love New Balance and Saucony . . .

#110315 - 01/29/09 01:11 AM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Trailrunner]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I have Solomon trail runners. They have given me good service for over 4 years now. I would buy another pair in a heart beat. I love the lacing system. They are very water proof as well as durable.

Howie

#110322 - 01/29/09 09:34 AM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Pika]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've been happy with New Balance trail runners since they first started making them. No particular style, whatever the store has in stock, but I like a gusseted tongue.
A lesson learned while hiking in Ireland last May is making me rethink my shoes. I was hiking in the trail runners while my companions were in Solomon gore-tex lined trail runners. It rained constantly and hiking in Ireland is a muddy affair with all the bogs. Their feet stayed dry while mine were wet for the entire trip. I'll be considering 'water proof' the next time around. It's dry here in Texas, so I've never cared before...and my shoes usually dry out by days end if they do get wet.

#110329 - 01/29/09 12:03 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Dryer]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
It is interesting you saying that Paul. Folks on this forum have often slammed Gortex complaining that it didn’t keep the water out, and that we cannot trust it. My experience, with the Solomons at least it that my feet stay nice and dry. I bought a pair for my sister who lives on Vancouver Island. I asked her if her feet stat dry and she too is impressed with the Solomon shoes. Where she lives they get about 37 inches of rain a year and so I figured it to be a good test. She wears them everyday too.

Howie

#110338 - 01/29/09 01:57 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Howie]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Folks on this forum have often slammed Gortex complaining that it didn’t keep the water out, and that we cannot trust it.

I've been one of the slammers....still don't like it for jackets/pants, except for kayak dry suits. My Vasque Sundowners boots are GoreTex lined and have never leaked. A bit hot in summer, but then I don't wear them in summer. So, for footwear, I'd say Goretex is fine.

#110342 - 01/29/09 02:50 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Dryer]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
GoreTex has to be clean to work properly and I just don't see how that's possible in footwear unless you're always hiking on a pristine sidewalk.

That being said, I have a pair of GTX Solomons and they do have their niche. Used with WPB gaiters they keep my feet reasonably dry in light rain and through slush. I even use them for snowshoeing on "Sierra Concrete" when I know I won't sink in.

I said "reasonably dry" because sweat builds up inside the shoe. I'm not sure how well they breathe, if at all. Maybe a simple plastic liner would fare just as well. And the seams leak a bit. But under certain conditions I'm better off wearing them than than non WPB trailrunners.

#110547 - 02/01/09 08:44 PM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Trailrunner]
gohawks Offline

Originally Posted By Trailrunner

I experimented with lighter shoes before going to the Hardrocks but I had some durability isues. Asics and Hi-Tec come to mind. I don't mean to slam their whole line, these were just individual shoes on a single person. I found the thinner soles of lighter shoes to be uncomfortable on anything but well groomed trails. Weight savings come at a cost. IMHO shoes in the style and weight range of Hardrocks are the best compromise between weight, comfort and durability. You still see loads of them on trail race start lines, and for good reason.

What he said. Unless you are on a paved or very well groomed trail you will be thankful for the tank like footbed of the hardrock. It was like night and day from my new balance trail runners.

#110560 - 02/02/09 05:24 AM Re: Looking for Trail Runners [Re: Dryer]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I think that footwear is where goretex gets slammed in particular. I'm content with goretex in other contexts, but in shoes I'm not a fan, depending on the exact conditions they're to be used in. The big downside in relatively lightweight shoes is once the shoe does get wet, goretex will dry out more slowly than quick-to-wet but also quick-to-dry fabric. My one experience with goretex shoes had another problem in that both shoes fairly quickly developed wear-holes where the shoe flexes across the toes. A water proof (or resistant) shoe with a hole is a bit like a submarine with a screen door. The worst of both worlds, it gets wet in short order, but is slower to dry.

One place I would like a goretex shoe or light boot would be on a day hike or maybe just a weekender in expected wet weather. Not long enough to wet the shoe out and leave you unhappy for significant periods of time --- that's certainly a case where it's nice to not get immediately wet at the first contact with water. My solution there, however, is to bring a goretex *sock*.

Certainly opinions vary on this a lot. Not as much as on the question of "which is the 'best' shoe", but there's still never going to be universal consensus.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum