Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110242 - 01/27/09 11:52 PM best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond?
haikublue Offline

Loc: Berkeley, California
Well...I have an REI gift card...which poles should I buy? I have a significant knee problem. Growing older has it's downsides...but I am determined! I completely have managed to go through a pair of REI poles in just 2 years. Ok...a LOT of hiking...maybe that's to be expected? They DID really keep my knee in check. Any help is appreciated!

#110249 - 01/28/09 09:05 AM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: haikublue]
earlylite Offline

Loc: New England
If you have to buy poles at REI, I'd recommend the Black Diamond Trails. They don't come unlocked (slip) like my wife's Lekis. The BD flicklock system has been very reliable for me. However, if you can liquidate your REI gift card someplace, I'd go with the Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4's, which also don't slip and weigh over a pound less.

Earlylite
http://sectionhiker.com

#110260 - 01/28/09 11:01 AM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: haikublue]
Ender Offline

Loc: ME
Both make great poles. I used Leki's for years, including an AT thruhike and 1000 miles on the PCT. However, a couple years ago I bough Black Diamond poles, and I'll never go back to Leki. They don't slip nearly as easily as the Leki's did, and adjusting the length on them is a lot easier and faster.

So, you won't go wrong with either one, but I would recommend the Black Diamond poles.

#110262 - 01/28/09 11:23 AM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: haikublue]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
I've used both. I like them both. I've had both systems slip a touch, but not to an extent that I'd say they failed to do their job. I'd recommend going with the lightest pair & best grip regardless of the brand name.

#110548 - 02/01/09 08:55 PM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: jpanderson80]
gohawks Offline

BD all the way because of the flick locks.

#110549 - 02/01/09 09:00 PM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: gohawks]
grandtheory Offline

Loc: Indiana
Black Diamond poles are on sale right now at REI for %54 (instead of $79). FYI

#110559 - 02/02/09 05:16 AM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: haikublue]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I think it's perilous to ask for a "best" version of any piece of gear without being pretty clear how you prioritize the selection criteria ... price, weight, durability, ease of repair or availability of parts, adaptability (perhaps in this case availability of snow baskets), perhaps features such as shock absorbtion, how noisy or quiet they are, max/min length, fixed length versus adjustable ...

Given that you've "managed to go through a pair" of poles in just two years, I speculate that durability might be your top criteria?? My favorite poles wouldn't be a good choice then; I've got lots of miles on of my carbon fiber poles, but you might choose something beefier, depending on exactly what's causing you to no longer use your previous poles.

#110566 - 02/02/09 10:31 AM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: BrianLe]
haikublue Offline

Loc: Berkeley, California
Thanks everyone...sounds a bit like BD...and they are on sale right now which means left over money to buy new silk undergarments...nice!

BrianLe: What caused me to go through a pair of poles is that the spring inside broke in one of them and the top part of the pole would come off the bottom part regularly. I still think they were probably my best item for any long trip...and certainly well used...even broken! But 2 years seems a short life-span compared to other things I use both in the back country and in my general life. I am actually pretty light on my things...and tend to keep most of what I own past the lifespan usually given for them. So...this surprised me. But to be fair...I used them a whole lot.

#110577 - 02/02/09 01:32 PM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: haikublue]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
If indeed you're not hard on gear, *and* if weight is a significant factor for you, then of what REI offers (last time I checked ...), I'd consider the REI branded Komperdell carbon fiber poles. (With no springs --- "one more thing to break" is one reason I no longer like shock absorbers on poles).

For some (perhaps many) people, the initial reaction to saving a little weight in trekking poles is "ho hum, who cares about that small a weight saving?". But when I offer to briefly swap poles on the trail, people don't want to give mine back ... it's a little like the old saw about "X pounds on your feet is equivalent to Y pounds on your back" (where, depending on who's telling it, Y is some different multiple of X). You're lifting your arms and moving those poles constantly.

The BD poles might indeed be best for you, again, depending on what you want to optimize. For those that can avoid just pushing (literally pushing) forward when their pole gets stuck (potentially to the point of breakage), I like carbon fiber poles a lot. I've got 3000 or so miles on mine and expect to get a lot more.

#110586 - 02/02/09 04:49 PM Re: best hiking poles...Leki vs Black Dianmond? [Re: BrianLe]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Summarising what I have gleaned from various forums :
Leki have a great reputation for good after sale service
Black Diamond don't need after sale service.
Franco

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum