Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109996 - 01/24/09 10:48 AM Sewing Patches on Your Gear
grandtheory Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have a couple of patches that I thought about sewing onto my backpack.

1) Is this juvenile and lame? Will other backpackers pick on me and call me names and give me wedgies?

2) Will it damage the performance of the pack? Cause it to leak? Cause rips?

#109999 - 01/24/09 12:07 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If you sew enough patches on that it starts to look like one of those old trunks in the attic, yeah, people will smirk.

My buddy, who thru-hiked the AT, has that AT patch sewn on his pack. No one laughs. (Of course, he's also an ex-SEAL and looks the part.)

One patch, with some significance, is probably OK. Smaller patches don't look bad on a hat, though. (I've got a Scout Backpacking Merit Badge the aforementioned buddy gave me after I was his counseler for it. He told me, "You did everything I did; you earned it too." I wear it proudly on my hat, and have transferred it to a new hat a couple of times. That particular patch, I don't care if anyone does laugh. It means a lot to me.)

Edited by Glenn (01/24/09 12:09 PM)

#110016 - 01/24/09 09:22 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
Seems like needless weight to me. One or two probably won't amount to much, but covering a pack with patches could add up. (Keep in mind you're talking to a group that cuts tags out of their clothing and other gear.)

Depending on the material your pack is made from, and what you choose for thread, sewing to it could compromise its ability to shed water. But most packs aren't that water tight anyway.

#110017 - 01/24/09 09:30 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: Paddy_Crow]
grandtheory Offline

I knew someone would bring up the weight of the patches. I only have two and they can't weigh more than a gram each. And I'm not the type to be cutting the tags out of my clothes to shed weight... which, quite frankly, sounds a bit silly.

#110018 - 01/24/09 09:35 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
Well, I did add the disclaimer about the weight not being much for one or two.

I cut the tags out of my clothes because they annoy the pi$$ out of me.

#110022 - 01/24/09 10:49 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
If you like em - do it. Glue em on with seam grip - always use the catalyst to harden it sooner.
Jim

#110024 - 01/24/09 11:02 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
Glenn Offline

I always thought taking tags off sounded kind of silly, too. I wonder how they get the tags off that are embroidered (?) into the fabric nowadays?

#110028 - 01/25/09 12:04 AM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: Glenn]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You take off the embroidered patches with a lot of patience.

Anyways, you could take a few gear tags off to compensate for the weight of the patch you want to add. Then you are even.

#110057 - 01/25/09 02:34 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
1) If you are thru-hiking the AT, the chances are that a few other thrus will taunt you for any choice you make. These few will be dogmatic and insecure people. Pay them no nevermind, unless they try to give you a wedgie.

Because one of your patches identifies with the wobblies, there is a very small chance that a dittohead may remark acidly on your choice of affiliation, but I don't think many dittoheads backpack - or have even heard of the wobblies, so you should be relatively safe on that account, too.

2) If I were going to sew on a patch, I'd consider waxing the thread, just to minimize the chance that the thread would wick moisture into the pack. Needle holes are very small, so any compromise to the pack's integrity should be negligible.

Just HYOH and have fun.

#110059 - 01/25/09 02:57 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: aimless]
grandtheory Offline

I've decided, at least for now, not to sew any patches onto my pack. I just wanted to know if doing so would damage my gear.

#110254 - 01/28/09 09:50 AM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By grandtheory
I knew someone would bring up the weight of the patches. I only have two and they can't weigh more than a gram each. And I'm not the type to be cutting the tags out of my clothes to shed weight... which, quite frankly, sounds a bit silly.

Of course it's silly -- but we gram weenies are a silly bunch. Seriously, if you do sew any patches on to your gear, I would treat the stitching with seam sealer to prevent leaking. Otherwise, I don't see how it would damage your gear.

#110812 - 02/06/09 12:02 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
Coffeefiend Offline

Loc: Mid-South USA
While you're cutting tags out to save on weight, you might want to get some pliers and snip off all the zippers from your clothing and pack. Replace them with plastic zip ties. All those little peices of metal add up!

(Of course I'm kidding)
(DO NOT actually do this)

#110816 - 02/06/09 01:07 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: Coffeefiend]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I cut labels off of a lot of stuff mainly because I don't like labels. The weight savings are nil, but the satisfaction of not being a walking billboard for some corporation... priceless.

#111483 - 02/18/09 10:02 PM Dispatch is my favorite [Re: aimless]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
B4 you ever consider sewing that first embroidered patch on your gear, consider the consequences.

Twenty years ago in Grand Teton NP, we came upon an older couple as we headed back to Jenny Lake after a 3-night bp. They had some cool, hand-carved walking staffs in their hands and absolutely NO gear. I couldn't believe it, until we encountered their mule, either their grandson or their late-in-life son lagging behind, who had on his back the biggest pack I had ever seen. Every square inch of the fabric was covered in some park's patch. And I was instantly hooked.

I covered my old Coleman external pack -- the one with a black-plastic external frame -- with patches. I covered my next two backpacks with patches, both since given away. I started covering my monster Kelty Redcloud Classic with patches -- and then I learned of ultralight, found a support group (this forum) and got some help.

It had gotten so bad that the when we'd get to a place to go hiking, the first thing I'd do is look for a patch. That's crazy. crazy Often I'd drive to the park or national forest Visitor Center, then to the nearest convenience stores, and then hit the gift shops until I'd seen them all so I could snag the BEST patch. My hike was not validated unless I came home with a patch. Absurd!

On a late season trip to Kootenay Nat'l Park in BC, Canada, we went into the town of Radium Hot Springs -- not for a logical soak, but to get a patch -- oh, and some food, too. There I found a small gift shop that was going out of business with a basket full of patches for half price for most Canadian Rockies national and provincial parks. I spent almost an hour gathering up patches for places that I might one day get to hike at.

How my wife has put up with this bizarre patch fetish of mine is beyond me; in fact, this saint has even humored me by having agreed to sew, glue or iron all those patches on for me. But what she really should've been doing is looking for a patch patch for me, like those nicotine ones, to control my addiction.

When I finally embraced the ultralight philosophy and found this support group, I was able to grapple with my compulsion. To the point that last year I was able to drive by the little coffee/gift shop in Olema outside Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore and not stop and get a patch (although I admit that it helped that they were closed.) Without the help, no telling what could have happened.

I'm thankful for the help. For almost 525 days now, since I got my new UL backpack, I have not put a single patch on that pack. happy

(Did I mention that my wife bought me a big, forest-green fleece blanket? And that she's very carefully sewing my patches on it instead? She's got them pinned to it for placement; I'm sure she'll sew that first one on any day now.)

I'm ending this post by revealing my favorite patch, much like Jay Leno did in that Classic Motorsports magazine interview when he spoke of his Lotus Elan. Most avid collectors have their particular preferred masterpiece.

I found mine in a "reduced-for-quick-sale" bucket at a little store on Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park. They had the patch for $1 (which is pretty good, since most patches are $3.95-$7.95.)

See if you can figure out why:

]

This is too hot even for Animal Planet.

It was the last patch I put on my Redcloud Classic and why I haven't gotten rid of the beheamoth. Speaking of Leno, I had even thought of sending it to him for the show, but didn't cause I figured they wouldn't send the pack back. All I know is, if I tried that with a goat, a ranger would definitely drag me in on some bestiality charge. And what's up with the voyeuristic moose? Is modern American society rubbing off on the animal world? Are these bears hybernating with the Internet AND cable?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#111485 - 02/18/09 11:26 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: grandtheory]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Now THAT"S a patch worth buying!! goodjob If you ever decide to sell it, i'll offer you DOUBLE what you paid for it (plus shipping) wink

BF

#111486 - 02/18/09 11:40 PM Re: Dispatch is my favorite [Re: kevonionia]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Kev, that is too funny!!!

I too am a patch collector, but I have resisted the temptation to put them on my gear. I pick some up almost everywhere I go.
I even traded for a couple of Earthlings patches from the boxes.

My mom took all my Scout patches that I collected over the years (some quite rare) and sewed them onto a quilt. It now hangs on my son's bedroom wall. For me, these patches bring back fond memories.

I have my dad's Samsonite suitcase from his college days (48-52) and it has stickers from all the places he visited on his senior trip.

GT - if you want to display some of those patches, you could sew them onto a day pack or similar piece of gear. I have an old Jansport book bag that is my day pack that I toss in the truck when I go backpacking. It holds a change of clean, cotton clothes for when I get off the trail and a few other items. It always get comments about the patches and the places it's been.

Enjoy!

#111487 - 02/19/09 12:26 AM Re: Dispatch is my favorite [Re: Tango61]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Tango:

If you can post a photo of the quilt I'd appreciate it. Might provide some inspiration to get my -- well, her -- sewing project going. Plus I think alot of people would love to see it.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#111496 - 02/19/09 11:18 AM Re: Dispatch is my favorite [Re: kevonionia]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
OMG Kevon, that is just waaaaaaay too funny!

#111497 - 02/19/09 11:26 AM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: bigfoot2]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Kevon should donate the patch for the site auction. I would like the opportunity to bid on it. goodjob

#111516 - 02/19/09 04:43 PM Re: Dispatch is my favorite [Re: kevonionia]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By kevonionia

]

This is too hot even for Animal Planet.

And you didn't get us all one! frown
Browse my pictures

#111517 - 02/19/09 04:44 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: ringtail]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By food
Kevon should donate the patch for the site auction. I would like the opportunity to bid on it. goodjob

I agree.. I would like the opportunity to outbid you on it... repeatedly....
Browse my pictures

#111530 - 02/19/09 07:29 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: phat]
bigfoot2 Offline

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By food

I agree.. I would like the opportunity to outbid you on it... repeatedly....

Get in line, guys mad

BF cool

#111531 - 02/19/09 07:44 PM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: phat]
bigfoot2 Offline

#111533 - 02/19/09 08:19 PM Re: Dispatch is my favorite [Re: kevonionia]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I cann't breeth i'mm laughign so hard

#111549 - 02/20/09 06:51 AM Re: Sewing Patches on Your Gear [Re: bigfoot2]
Glenn Offline

Is that the new Apple-achian Trail patch? (Groan.)

#111618 - 02/20/09 10:10 PM Quilt of Patches [Re: kevonionia]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Kev,

Send me a PM and I'll give you a link to some pic's.

Tango

Edit: I've uploaded these pic's to a new account on shutterfly.
Let me know if it works and if you have any questions about the patches, I'll be happy to answer them.

http://tango61.shutterfly.com/23

Edited by Tango61 (02/21/09 07:52 PM)
Edit Reason: added url

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum