Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109967 - 01/23/09 07:59 PM Backpack Help!!!
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
I've now been looking for a decent (being the key word) day/weekend pack. I've been looking at the Kelty Redwing 2650 or the JanSport Air Odyssey II. Not sure on torso size etc., I'm 5'10' 185#±. I'm a pocket/gadget kinda guy and tend to pack more than I need. I'm also looking for something that is grab and go so it would be packed for quick access, i.e. last minute holiday for a day boating trip, etc.

I don't even know the "big names" for this type of gear so some guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

#109970 - 01/23/09 08:34 PM Re: Backpack Help!!! [Re: NightForce]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Not that it is a great place to shop but Amazon has every pack that you could imagine. You can go through what they have and then go to an outfitter and try it on for size. If you like it, you can always go back to Amazon and order it. Amazon should also save you a little money compared to your average gear store..I will guess here but I think that Amazon has over 500 packs to chose from. Also, you may want to look at the ones in particular that have "reviews" from previous customers to sort of get a feel for what they thought after actually purchasing the pack...Hope that will help you out....sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!!

#109981 - 01/24/09 12:44 AM Re: Backpack Help!!! [Re: NightForce]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Well, I own a Kelty Redwing 3100 and I like it for short trips most of the time. Used to be my main pack for a short while. It fits well for me and I'm 5' 7". You should however take just a few hours and store hop to try a few on to make sure they fit okay before you go and actually buy the thing.

Other than that, not knowing exactly how much you "overpack," that's the best I can throw at you at the moment.

#109984 - 01/24/09 01:38 AM Re: Backpack Help!!! [Re: NightForce]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Small packs with pockets huh? The two manufacturers that come to mind are REI and ULA. The REI pack I'm thinking of was called the Flash, and it might still be around. ULA makes a number of packs, and they all can have waistbelt pockets and plenty of external mesh pockets: http://www.ula-equipment.com/index.htm

If you ever need something waterproof, you might look up these: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/browse/Storage%20Systems/Back%20Sacks.html

#109986 - 01/24/09 01:48 AM Re: Backpack Help!!! [Re: MattnID]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Go to a good local hiking/climbing gear store if you can find one, or to the nearest REI or EMS, get properly fitted and try on a lot of different packs with 25-30 lbs. weight in them. If nothing else, this will teach you how to fit a pack, what size you need and just how a comfortable pack will feel. Don't order by mail/internet until you have done this. If you don't buy a pack at the store (and you may want to consider your purchase before doing so), then buy a little something to help reimburse the store for their time. (At least your conscience will feel better.)

One problem with a pack that's bigger than what you need is that it does tempt you to take a bunch of extra stuff, which adds to the pack weight. Also, for most packs, it's hard to have a pack load properly balanced when it's under-filled, although a good network of compression straps can remedy this problem.

Go to the home page of this website (see "TLB Home" to the left) for articles on shopping for a pack (lefthand column) and many other important backpacking advice.

While REI is liable to try to sell you a 6-7 lb. pack (don't succumb!), their info on pack fitting on their website is excellent:
Finding your torso and hip size
Adjusting the pack

Assuming you aren't ready to go lightweight at this point, look at Osprey packs. They are pricey but, for many people, extremely comfortable. I almost bought one myself, but wanted a lighter pack. (Osprey has come out with a couple of lighter models this year, under 3 lbs.--if they'd had them three years ago, I'd have bought one.) My son has an Osprey Aether 85--he's a surfer so carries his wet suit (very heavy when wet) plus acting as a Sherpa for his kids, so he needs a large, very supportive pack. However, pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit--get what works for you.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum