Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109789 - 01/21/09 06:36 PM NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP!
IdahoHiker Offline

Loc: Idaho, Moscow
I have been reading through threads for 4 days now on this site and decided it was time to post for the first time, so here goes.

I used to go backpacking quite a bit when i was younger with my parents but since I have headed to college and haven't had much time to go. I am looking to really get back into backpacking. I do own some odds and ends things from about five years ago(most of which were close to being outdated when i got them). So my things are pretty old.

I have a kelty hurricane 4900 backpack. I KNOW 6 lbs 7 oz, way to heavy. I intend to get another pack later in the year when i have the funds. but for now it isn't really a concern. What i am really looking for is advice on is getting a new sleeping bag and some hiking clothes. For my situation i will be hiking early summer through late fall doing 3-5 day trips. I would love to hear recommendations on sleeping bags that you guys have or have heard about( please keep in mind i am in college)

As for clothes, I was raised with just grabbing a pair of regular sweats, a couple pair of shorts, 3-4 socks, 3-4 underwair, 3-4 shirts, and a sweat shirt. No weight was considered, it was just kind of a grab some crumby stuff out of the drawer and pack it up type deal. I would really like to hear what kind of things you guys pack for clothes and any recommendations you would have for me when i go out and buy my own clothes.

#109797 - 01/21/09 07:43 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
grandtheory Offline

Loc: Indiana
The first thing I would do is to check with your school to see if they have an outdoors program. If they do, it is likely they will have gear that you can rent and organized trips you can take with your peers. This allows you to try before you buy (although the gear may be dated). I participated in Appalachian State University's outdoor program when I was in college and I got to take a lot of cheap trips to some great places (with some really heady ladies).

Next, I would prioritize. Make a list of the items you need, starting with the basics required for camping/backpacking. And start keeping an eye on www.steepandcheap.com to find some good deals.

Finally, I would go to the Ultralight Gear Store on www.backpacking.net (at the bottom left side of the page) and click on the type of gear that you are researching. Then click on the "Table" tab. This will allow you to compare each piece of gear (weight, packing size, material, etc).

Just my 2 cents.

#109801 - 01/21/09 08:26 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: grandtheory]
IdahoHiker Offline

i checked out the tables list and it is going to be a huge help. I have already kind of prioritized what i need to get together to finish my gear collecting. I will probably keep my pack for a while even though it is a bit heavier. my tent i own is a small cabelas bivey that weighs around 3.5 lbs (still a little heavy but will due the job fine for now). My sleeping bag is definetly too heavy i think coming in around 4 lbs and i would really like a new one since it is very old and crumby(zipper breaking and stuff like that). I have a good first aid kit that is small and has more then enough things in it, that i made myself. I am in the process of making a alcohol stove out of the budwieser can like outdooradventurer.com or whatever that guys website is. this will let me cut my heavier stove i have for backpacking out saving me almost 2 lbs. I already have a nice pot with a spork and several other cooking items i carry.

I don't have a filtration system yet. i have been poking around the idea of a gravity one and have taken a liking to them, but i am not completely fixed.

And last things i need are articles of clothes. What woudl really help is a list of things taht you guys carry like. 2 pairs of socks, 1 light jacket- fleece or... , one pair of pant zip off shorts, etc. like a list like that would do wonders for me i think. then i can start keeping an eye out for things.

#109804 - 01/21/09 09:02 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
IH

Hmmm on the gravity filter. Been there done that - They are slow and fiddlesome. You need a place to set it up and you have to watch the bottle so they don't fill and fall over and did I mention slow? If you need water now and can't wait for half an hour, carry a pump. With a pump the pressure you apply can overcome some pore clogging, but with just gravity the amount of pressure may not be enough if the filter starts to clog. Water, reliability, long term storage requirements, ruggedness and ability to be back flushed and cleaned have lead me to carry a PUR backpacker for over ten years now. It is heavy - around 11 oz as I recall - BUT as I said - reliable rugged and fast. When you're squatted by a lake in a swarm of mosquitoes you don't need slow...
YMMV
Jim

#109807 - 01/21/09 09:23 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: Jimshaw]
grandtheory Offline

I've found that with a lot of gear, YouTube is a great source of knowledge. It helps to get a visual.

Here is an example. I just went to YouTube and typed "Backpacking Water Filter" and found lots of stuff... like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAEbGWng2Zk

#109811 - 01/21/09 09:58 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
It sounds like the main issue here is cost right? I was really poor in college so that would have been my number one as well.

A lot of good, lightweight stuff can be fairly inexpensive. Unfortunately a sleeping bag is not one. You might want to borrow or rent until you can afford a nice one. Alternatively if you have access to a sewing machine you can make a nice quilt for little money. Take a look at Ray Jardine's page and get a quilt kit.

As far as clothes go here is something that may help. You may never have had good camping clothes but perhaps you did some running? Running clothes are synthetic and have good wicking properties so they make good hiking clothes. Running shoes are fine for backpacking in also.

#109812 - 01/21/09 10:22 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: Heber]
grandtheory Offline

Speaking of synthetic... I definitely prefer a synthetic bag. Dries much faster.

I have a Kelty Serrano 3D sleeping bag (15 degree bag). It weighs in at about 3 lbs, 9 oz. That might be too heavy for a lot of the folks in these forums, but I absolutely LOVE it.

#109813 - 01/21/09 10:23 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: Heber]
redroach Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
When I was in college we had the Explorers or some such. I think we were BSA affiliated, but were basically a hiking type club.
Might find a branch on your campus

#109814 - 01/21/09 10:37 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: redroach]
grandtheory Offline

Originally Posted By redroach
When I was in college we had the Explorers or some such. I think we were BSA affiliated, but were basically a hiking type club.
Might find a branch on your campus

You can also check out www.meetup.com to find other backpackers in your area. I thought I was too cool for meeting people online, but once I got out of college and got a job and moved away from my friends I've come to really appreciate the social networking possibilities on the Web.

#109818 - 01/21/09 11:44 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: Heber]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
For clothes, I would peruse the local second hand/thrift store. Look for a fleece or two, synthetic pants, and synthetic shirts. Nothing cotton, of course. Go to a few of those before hitting the outdoor stores.

#109819 - 01/22/09 12:25 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: finallyME]
IdahoHiker Offline

These are all great ideas. My B-day is coming up here in may so i might ask the parents for a sleeping bag for an early present. I know that is one thing i don't want to go cheap on becuase i will probably regret it. I will also poke around the local second hand stores to see what i can find. I am not necessarily in any sort of rush for this spring. i am mainly looking for good deals for this summer. Currently i have lacrosse practice 4 days a week and starting feb. through the beginning of may we have games each weekend. You guys have really been a huge help, but the one thing that i am still blank on is a list of articles of clothing i will need, say for a 3-4 day packing trip. At least from that list i can start seeing what i have in my drawers that will fit my hiking needs and seeing what i will need to be looking for on steepandcheap and also the local second hand stores. thanks again for all the great help so far.

#109820 - 01/22/09 12:30 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
IdahoHiker Offline

Also, i forgot to address the school club/organization you guys have been talking about and I did some research and U of I here in moscow actually has a really active club that i will get involved with in the fall. It sounds like they do a lot of trips of all sorts for cheap. I will post again in the fall about the club trips and let you know how things shake out with that when i don't have lacrosse everyweekend.

Edited by IdahoHiker (01/22/09 12:41 AM)

#109821 - 01/22/09 12:47 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Jim, I've found the ULA Amigo Pro gravity water filter to be quite fast. 10-15 minutes will filter the full bag (~ 1 gallon or a little more). With the Platypus connector, you don't need to worry about bottles falling over. You do need to bleed the air pressure out of the Platy a time or two while it's filling, but so far I've found that if the air pressure builds up, the water flow stops long before the Platy bursts like a balloon. You can do something else, or just sit and admire the scenery, while the water is filtering (just check occasionally for the balloon effect). The best thing about this filter is that you can filter your water in camp instead of having to sit by the buggy stream (one of the numerous reasons the Steripen Adventurer I bought last summer was returned to REI). And the ULA filter is only 7 1/2 oz., lighter than most pump filters. Just my $.02 worth, but I'm really in love with this filter!

That being said, I'm switching to chlorine dioxide tablets (Katadyn MicroPur or Aquamira tablets) for long trips, to save more weight. I'm working at getting my base weight down so I can go for at least 10 days without resupply and without getting skin-out weight over 30 lbs. I'm almost there! For a trip of 5 days or less, or for group trips (i.e., taking out the grandkids), I'll still take the ULA filter.

IdahoHiker, for clothes, please, please leave anything cotton at home. It absorbs a ton of moisture (you want fabrics that wick moisture without absorbing it), is very slow to dry and, when wet, can lead to hypothermia (the popular saying among backpackers is that "cotton kills"). Just ask Mom what's the last thing to get dry in the dryer--always cotton jeans and thick cotton socks! Of course desert hiking in the daytime, when a wet T-shirt will keep you cool, is a different story. But even in the desert, you want synthetics at night, when it gets cold, and when it rains or snows!

This is what I take for 3-season wear (Cascades and Rockies): I wear long nylon pants, a synthetic baselayer top (long sleeve, but lightweight) as a shirt, breathable nylon undies (optional for some men, but I'm female), trail running shoes, merino wool socks and a sun hat. In my pack are baselayer bottoms, a wind shirt (any lightweight unlined nylon jacket will do, but treat it with a DWR treatment), an insulating layer (mine is a Montbell UL Thermawrap, lightweight but $$$, but a polyester fleece jacket will be fine), lightweight rain jacket and pants, a polypro fleece balaclava, polypro glove liners (the last two from Campmor) and a pair of rain mitts (plastic bags could substitute). Also a pair or two of extra socks and my one luxury, a pair of soft, cuddly fleece socks for sleeping. This will keep me warm down to about 25*. If I think it's going to be colder (fall or spring or summer above timberline in the northern Rockies), I will take another torso insulating layer, generally a merino wool T-shirt or a lightweight fleece vest. For winter conditions, I might also take another insulating layer for my bottom half. However, in my old age I prefer not to camp in the winter. The winter camping section of this forum (way down at the bottom) will give you lots of ideas for what to wear when it's really cold. Your Mileage May Vary, but this is what works for me. Others will have other ideas.

You can shop thrift stores, military surplus, discount stores like KMart, Target, Wallyworld, etc. for synthetic and wool clothes such as breathable wicking base layers, fleece, lightweight wool. Look in the athletic departments of such stores, not sporting goods. Wicking knit shirts and underwear, nylon track pants, merino wool blend socks cheaper than the standard brands (Costco, I've been told, has some good ones). Keep checking your local thrift stores--you can find all sorts of interesting things there for maybe $2-5 apiece. Fleece insulating layers will soon be on sale, if they aren't already, as the stores try to make room for spring items. It seems silly to pay $100 or more for a fleece jacket from REI when you can get a similar item for 1/4 the price (or less) at a discount store or for almost nothing at a thrift store! Watch for other clearances on winter gear (maybe places selling ski wear) to pick up a fleece or wool beanie cap and some lightweight liner gloves.

There are a number of other good sources for bargains. As mentioned in other posts, there are several outlets listed on the Portal Page of this website, plus Steep and Cheap (which needs to be checked several times daily) and Sierra Trading Post. Campmor.com often has closeouts, and their house brands are generally good. Their silnylon gear (tarps, stuff sacks, rain gear) are from Equinox and are a good buy. Campmor's house brand down sleeping bag is often recommended for those on a budget. It's more like a 30* bag than a 20* bag, and it's of course heavier than a Western Mountaineering bag, but it's also about 1/3 the price of a WM bag and, if properly cared for, will last until sometime in the far future when you have your pennies saved up for the Cadillac of sleeping bags (although if your parents are willing, don't turn down the offer!). The Campmor down bag is a lot lighter than any comparable synthetic bag. Just make sure you keep it dry! Lining your pack with a 2-mil trash compactor bag from your supermarket (just make sure the bags aren't perfumed!) and twisting the end into a watertight candy-cane closure will go a long way to ensure this.

There was recently a thread in the Light Gear section about a gear list of 20 lbs. and $200, which, despite a few sarcastic remarks, has a number of interesting ideas for those on a budget. I posted links to a few other sites on that thread (not because I felt this site is lacking, but only because it seems silly to re-invent the wheel). If you've been lurking, you've probably read this thread already.

Check out the gear lists on the home page of this site, in the left-hand column, for more ideas.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/22/09 02:01 AM)
Edit Reason: add more info for OP

#109822 - 01/22/09 01:25 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: OregonMouse]
IdahoHiker Offline

this might be a stupid question but i have been looking around at more and more filtration systems. I have read that bacteria are .2+ size, protazoa are .3+ size and viruses are something like .013 or something like that. Most of the filtration systems mentioned and that i have been looking at say a .3 gaps size. Should i be concerned that this is to large and it will only take care of the big stuff? I know nearly no filtration system can get rid of viruss with out chemical help, but what about bacteria? I have looked through the search option on here and on the internet but i am really struggling and you guys are a wealth of information. sorry for the newb questions though.

#109823 - 01/22/09 02:23 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]

Great, IdahoHiker,you're doing your research, which, IMHO, is excellent! In the US you really don't need to be too concerned about viruses, unless you're downstream of human settlements with perhaps leaky sewage or septic sytems (not an issue in the mountains). Most of us have been immunized against the serious viruses you're most apt to encounter (polio and hepatitis A). It's the protozoa (giardia, cryptosporidium) and bacteria (particularly e coli) that you need to be concerned about.

Chlorine dioxide (used in municipal water systems) will kill all three, but takes a very long exposure time for protozoa--up to 4 hours if the water is cold. Even when I take my filter, I always carry some chlorine dioxide tablets. The filter might break, or I might encounter a horrific water source (downstream of human settlement, or a stagnant cattle-trampled pond) where I want to throw everything I have at the water before even contemplating drinking it. I am considering a coarser filter (Aquamira makes a very lightweight inline filter) that will filter out the protozoa, in combination with the ClO2 tablets. This would mean only a 15-20 minute treatment time for the tablets.

If it's an emergency, go ahead and drink whatever water you find. Giardiasis takes 10 days or more to incubate (by which time you'll be back in civilization with medical care), but you can die of dehydration in a couple of days. A number of people have gotten drastically dehydrated when lost or stranded just because they've been told not to drink untreated water.

I want to advise against using iodine to disinfect drinking water. For one thing, I've read that it is not effective against cryptosporidium. For another, iodine allergies (per my doctor) are not all that uncommon. You won't know if you're allergic until you have a reaction. I used it for a little over a month (only on weekends) and then broke out in a horrible rash, with really deep lesions (lichen planus). It itched like crazy and left permanent scars. The worst of it is that since this happened (over 20 years ago), I can't eat anything with iodized salt (which causes problems when in restaurants and when invited to people's homes for dinner--I'm stuck with salads with only oil and vinegar dressings), and I can't eat any seafood or take multi-vitamin-mineral supplements. Should I ever have to have a diagnostic procedure involving radioactive iodine (such as an angiogram)--well, I'll just have to drop dead undiagnosed! So stick with ClO2 if you're going to use chemicals. Even with that, try it at home before you go out--a few people get digestive disturbances from it. (Actually, that's true for any gear--try it out at home first, in the back yard or car-camping, before heading for the back country.)

Edited by OregonMouse (01/22/09 02:28 AM)

#109825 - 01/22/09 02:36 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: OregonMouse]
IdahoHiker Offline

oregonmouse, you are the man. That pretty much clarifies my water questions, no pun intended. A lot of times it is nice to hear first hand experience instead of reading all of the pushy advertisement stuff all of the retailers have posted on their sites.

Edited by IdahoHiker (01/22/09 02:53 AM)

#109826 - 01/22/09 03:32 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]

Actually, I'm the woman, but there are many great posters of both sexes on this site. I agree with you about the advertising hype! Try to search out a number of reviews. In addition to this site, www.backpackgeartest.org is good. While subjective, check out the reader reviews on www.backpackinglight.com (accessible without a subscription). You'll find a variety of opinions on the latter. I do find it unfortunate that some people will file reviews based on an initial backyard valuation rather than extensive field experience. On this site, search the archives (read TomD's sticky post in the "General Discussion" section on how to search this site). For health issues, the standard medical sites plus the CDC are always good.

#109846 - 01/22/09 11:48 AM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: OregonMouse]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Platy makes a gravity filter that hangs instead of trying to sit it on a flat or smooth surface. I think that it is pretty new but I was surfing the other day , I think it was on Amazon.com where I saw these things. It looked like two identical bottles with hose and filter in between. Looks pretty simple to me and if my memory serves me correctly (which it probably doesn't) it claim 2 liters of water every 5 minutes. Again this might not be the exact amount but when I was reading it, it seemed like that it's claim was pretty fast comparably speaking...Hope that helps...sabre11004...

The first step that you take is one of those that get you there !!!!!!

#109847 - 01/22/09 12:03 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
That would largely depend on when and where you are planning this or these hiking trips.I always layer clothing no matter what time of year it is. I live near Tennessee and North Carolina and sometimes it can still be pretty chilly in the summer months up in the mountains. I have always lived with the philosophy that you can take it off but you can't put it on if you don't take it. I also would make sure that I always had some light weight rain gear. At least a poncho or something you could wear for a top. I very seldom put on my rain pants unless I am walking in the downpour for a long period of time. I wear a pair of sock liners and a synthetic pair of hiking socks and always carry two dry pair of each. If my feet and socks get wet I just change into a dry pair and hang the wet pair on the outside of my pack until they dry. That way I will always have a reasonably fresh pair of liners and socks no matter what. Trust me, you do not want to be 30-40 miles from no where and start getting blisters on your feet.Wear a good pair of trail shoes or hiking shoes. Your feet can be your savior.As far as pants and shirt, I usually wear a pair of 100% nylon convertible pants that are very light and will dry very quickly. I normally wear the same type of shirt and I always carry a bandanna or two. They can come in real handy for a number of things. For a hat I have a Outdoor Research "Sombrero". It's light and water proof and will for the most part keep the sun off your neck and face.. Hope this helps....sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!!

#109850 - 01/22/09 01:01 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
First of all, welcome. The more the merrrier. OK, the thing that sticks out in these posts is that everyone is talking about getting inexpensive synthetic clothes. TRY TRY TRY to find inexpensive merino wool clothes if you can. I feel they will keep you as warm, have a greater range of comfort, and have less "stank-factor" than synthetics.

Also, I think you are taking WAY too many clothes on your trips. For a 3 to 5 day trip, you mentioned taking 3 to 4 pairs of socks, 3 to 4 shirts, pants, etc. For versitility (sp?) I will take only two pairs of zip-off pants (wear one and carry one) on a seven day trip for a three season trip. Only two pairs of merino wool socks to hike in plus a special dedicated pair to sleep in that I can use as a back-up pair if needed. Two underwears max. If the weather is warm (and I will have sweated thru everything), I'll change clothes after I set up camp and cleaned up. Then I'll rinse out that day's clothes and hang them out to dry for the next day.

#109853 - 01/22/09 01:18 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: OldScout]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Here is a basic list of clothes you already own or can pick up cheaply for summer (read 40F and above) backpacking.

A swim suit with mesh liner as shorts (no underwear necessary)
Nylon warm up pants
A synthetic athletic shirt (e.g. Target's DuoDry)
a polyester fleece jacket or pull over(read the label some fleece now contains cotton)
a pair of running shoes
two pairs of socks (wool are the best but people use Thorlos, Cool-Max socks from Target/Wall-Mart and even nylon dress socks)
a knit hat for warmth
a baseball cap for sun
a rainjacket or poncho (You can pick up a cheap poncho just about anywhere but you might want to take a wind jacket too if you go this route)

Check your draws and closet you probably have everything here except the rainjacket and the wool socks.

#109858 - 01/22/09 02:32 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
StepChld Offline

Loc: Garland, Texas
Look for the jacket liner from the military jacket in an Army Surplus store. Best $15 I ever spent. Lighter than fleece, dries quickly when wet, and windproof. Don't worry about sewing up the armpits (they're left open for breathablity) but do sew on buttons. I've had one for two years now and it's never let me down.
Also highly recommend the C9 brand found at Target. I have two of their shirts and two pr. of their synthetic underwear in boxer briefs (keeps my legs from chafing and again, dries quick).
Wal-Mart has a great windsuit(pants and jacket) on sale for $10 that I just purchased that I got to use this past weekend. All synthetic, blocked wind and when coupled with a good pair of Med. weight thermals(from Bass Pro-expensive but worth every penny!), very warm.
Bass Pro Shops sells cheap "fisherman's" zip-off synthetic pants for around $20 w/ a liner. I personally don't like liners so I cut that part out but many swear by them. Either way, these pants are really comfortable. 2 pairs ought to do you for a long time...probably only need one pair.
Wal Mart also has 95% merino wool socks in their hunting dept. for $6-7. The rest is spandex or something like that, no cotton though. I usaully carry 2 pair and wear one pair. One of those is dedicated to sleeping in though.
WalMart also carries the cheap aluminium grease pots for about $5. That and a plastic spoon (again found in their camping section) and cup will do you for food prep...along with the handy dandy beer can stove you'll have made by now!

Frogg Toggs...work great as a wind suit and even better as a rain suit. Cheap but easily torn according to some, although I've never ripped mine. Also handy to put on when you're washing all your clothes at your evening camp.
Everything you wear should be synthetic so as to aid in drying out quickly and moving moisture away from your skin...unless you're in a desert in the middle of summer, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.
A good headlamp is much better than a flashlight anytime, no matter what.'nuff said on that.
Compass and whistle and a small knife are good too (think smallest Swiss knife they make).
Cheap, nylon, long sleeve shirt with big vent across the back from Campmor..I think I paid $20? Anyway, good for both cold and warm weather.
Hope this helps and remember...your milage may vary!

#109859 - 01/22/09 02:34 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: OldScout]
IdahoHiker Offline

oldscout, when i was talking about taking 3-4 pairs of everything it was quite a few years ago, probably about 4-5 years. And it was the type of deal that my mom was saying " don't come crying to me when your blabla bla get cold." and stuff like that. I didn't really know any better, so i just packed up a bunch of stuff and called it good. after i would come home with clean shirts and crap like that from a 4 day packing trip i knew that i was packing WAY to much clothes. now i am just trying to narrow it down.

Again, thank you guys for the lists that some are posting and the help and suggestions.

#109860 - 01/22/09 02:42 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Here is my clothing list for my through hike of the JMT in August and early September of 2008. Temperatures in the morning were as low as a measured 27 degrees F. It rained, lightly, once. Weights are in oz and were measured, not taken from manufacturers claim.

Footwear
Trail running shoes, Montrail Hardrock '08. 36.20 oz
Smartwool medium cushion crew socks, wool. 2.75 oz
Dirty Girl gaiters. 1.22 oz

Worn on trail
Running shorts with mesh liner. 4.0 oz
Icebreaker merino wool SS T-shirt. 5.41 oz
Bandana, cotton, 1/2. 0.50 oz
Hat, Full brim. 3.30 oz

Carried in pack (LS shirt and pants worn if cold or sunny)
Long-sleeve shirt, nylon, L.L. Bean. 8.50 oz
Cargo pants, L.L. Bean, Nylon. 13.25 oz
Long-sleeve 100 wt. homemade fleece pullover shirt. 8.15 oz
Montbell down vest. 5.50 oz
Mittens, Polartec 200, homemade. 1.50 oz
Hat, Polartec 200, homemade. 1.50 oz
Long underwear bottoms, Patagonia Capilene 2. 5.80 oz
Spare socks. 2.75 oz
Socks for bedtime, light weight. 0.85 oz

Raingear
BPL DriDucks rain jacket W/hood. 6.12 oz
BPL DriDucks rain pants. 4.00 oz
Rain over-mitts, silnylon shells, homemade. 0.40 oz

Total, worn and carried = 6.98 lb

If I got cold wearing most of the above, I would wrap my sleeping bag around me; only did this a couple of times. When I did laundry, I would wear my Dri Ducks for modesty and try to do the wash early enough in the day for it to be dry by bedtime. Not sure if this is possible in the East. I would only wash a few items each day and carry them hanging from the back of my pack to dry.

Edited by Pika (01/22/09 04:45 PM)

#109863 - 01/22/09 03:02 PM Re: NEEDING SOME GEAR HELP! [Re: IdahoHiker]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Welcome to the forums.

I used a Kelty 20* bag until the thing was only a 40* bag and was so flat it was comical. I bought it for $50-60. I was in college. I needed a bag. It worked. I finally broke down and got a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag a couple of years ago. I will not regret that. It's exceptional. Pricey, but I never have to worry and it will last for years and years. Do what you have to to get yourself out on the trail. Stay warm and be safe. In 10 years you will not think of what sleeping bag you used. You will wish you had gone on more trips. Gear is only a means to an end.

Same thing goes with clothing. Use what you have. If you have money to spend on something, get the best that you can. Otherwise, make do. Others have suggested thrift stores and such. Those are fine. I do see that you have been doing your fair share of research. I tip my hat to you.

Another option that I don't recall if someone mentioned or not. Make your own. You need some rain pants... make some. You'll learn a new skill, customize your gear and be more satisfied with a sense of accomplishment.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum