Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111499 - 02/19/09 11:31 AM Re: Tough guy or idiot? [Re: sago]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
i guess my point is that although we all get out there in the wild we are all really insignificant when it comes to adventure.

That's absolutely true (except for wondering_daisy and Jim Shaw wink and it's a point well taken. But, it is also true that opportunities for fame and fortune as a result of one's adventures have dwindled down to Bear Grylls type sensationalism for mainly entertainment purposes.

The closest thing to real adventurers I've heard of in a long time are these two guys...

Footsteps of Marco Polo

But I'm quite satisfied with my little adventures. Though not epic, they are a lot of fun smile

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#111509 - 02/19/09 03:02 PM Re: Tough guy or idiot? [Re: sago]
coyotemaster Offline

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By sago
... you guys forget that risk takers were the reason we go out to the back country ...

So this next winter, when I hit the big Five O, I plan to be camping in a wilderness somewhere in celebration and I'll toast to these two youngster risk takers that passed before me and showed me the way.

#111633 - 02/21/09 01:46 AM Re: Tough guy or idiot? [Re: billstephenson]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Bill:

Thanks for that. Adventure can be just a few steps from our doorstep.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#111717 - 02/22/09 02:12 PM Re: Tough guy or idiot? [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Well thank you Bill,
I feel like I walk amongst giants... thank you WD.

But to address your post - many of us old farts took to the wilderness like those early himalyan mountaineers - no fear - do it or die along the way, and that was alright with us. You'll notice that WD, Pika, myself, and others who are really experienced are also old and fearless. There are old climbers, and bold climbers, but few old bold climbers. Notice that amongst this bunch, most are not only climbers, but extreme climbers, and people who have lived for extended time in extreme environments, like Pika in Antarctica. We do not approach the wilderness with the attitude of lets go have some safe fun on trail. We go with the idea of lets wait for a mtn storm, then we'll ski into the teeth of it and do a mixed rock/ice climb when we get there. A lot of us backpacked to get our ropes to the particular rock we wanted, and we carried 25 pounds of climbing gear and our camping gear, BUT it takes second place to the climbers of the golden era who carried 50 pounds of soft iron pitons and hemp ropes.

Point is - modern camping is based on safety, old time camping was intended to be more on the edge. Modern campers rarely risk their lives on a daily basis for fun, like sport climbers. The majority of people who read this group fall into that group. The differences in opinion about the reliability of gear comes from the fact that some have to rely on our gear to survive, and some rely on their gear to get them down a relatively safe well travelled path.

I err on being prepared, its kept me alive. But to say that I'm not an idiot who has done all kinds of dangerous things simply because they were dangerous would be inaccurate. I am way crazier than most, but it has given me the opportunity to perfect skills that others do not have and that keep me alive.

I am a solo rock climber and solo winter ski camper. I just say that to define my level of crazy. Because of this, my gear has to be up to my crazyness. Your camping style probably does NOT require the same gear.
Jim

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum