Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109133 - 01/10/09 09:41 PM Very First Two Nighter
Larrold Offline

Loc: Va
All,

I've camped quite a bit in my life, but am looking forward to getting into backpacking. The first trip I'm starting to plan will be for two nights, in Va, in the March time frame, I'll be traveling with a friend, and I already have a tent and some basics.

Using what I've told you above please give me advice about what we must pack (as basic as clothing). Also, I would appreciate advice on what beginners typically take that they don't need.

Thanks!

#109147 - 01/11/09 09:29 AM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
www.backpacking.net (under "gear checklists") and REI's website both have pretty inclusive gear lists, with the latter's being aimed more at "normal" weight camping. I recommend reading a few lists then typing up your own so you don't have to scratch your head and remember what to pack before every trip. (I'd rattle off my own list, but I'm not at my own computer at the moment.)

Some items beginners often make the mistake of carrying are a complete change of clothes for every day and way too much of many consumables like toothpaste. For a 2 nighter you can get by with a change of socks for earch day, then leave a change of clothes back at the car.

#109149 - 01/11/09 10:33 AM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Wolfeye]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Start with the 18 pound 3 day pack at www.backpacking.net - you may not have gear that is that light, or you may not want to use a bivy bag, but you should still be able to keep your pack pretty reasonable starting from something like that. My list is linked from my
signature.
Browse my pictures

#109184 - 01/11/09 09:16 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
Mosey Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
If you want to cut the space you can carry the same change of clothes (assuming they aren't rained on or smell like poo).

Sock however are a change every day, if not more often.

The one thing I forgot my first two night... matches. Luckily I hid a lighter in my bag and remembered it the second day, just went hungry the first night.

#109189 - 01/12/09 12:52 AM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
What Phat said....

#109192 - 01/12/09 08:08 AM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: phat]
Larrold Offline

Awesome, Guys! I really do appreciate it. Will bears be an issue in early March? Do I need a bear can and spray?

Amateur questions, I know.

#109199 - 01/12/09 10:45 AM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

That depends upon where you are going. Where I am in march
bears are a non issue, but typically in march where I am everything is frozen solid.

Browse my pictures

#109212 - 01/12/09 01:30 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Larrold
Awesome, Guys! I really do appreciate it. Will bears be an issue in early March? Do I need a bear can and spray?

Amateur questions, I know.

Check the bears issue with the local Forest Ranger's office for wherever you'll be hiking a week or two before you go. They'll tell you if bears have been a problem and where.

I doubt that bears are anymore a problem where you'll be at out east than here in the Ozarks. Generally speaking, if you make noise while you're hiking a bear will hear you before you see them and they'll take off. You'll likely never even see one.

It's pretty easy to set up something that "Clanks" as you walk either inside or outside your pack. A little "Catfishing Bell" from a baitshop will work good too.

Members here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you'll need a bear canister there either. You might want to bring enough rope to hoist your food up into a tree overnight if you're in an area where bears will be foraging.

And Welcome to the forum! Let us know how your trip goes...

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#109215 - 01/12/09 02:55 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
Bears out here in the Shenandoahs are pretty afraid of humans for the most part. Make a loud noise in the bushes and watch them run over themselves to run away! It's the mice in the shelters that you need to be aware of. Crawl all over your face, they will. (insert Yoda voice.) shocked

#109224 - 01/12/09 05:55 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: phat]
Larrold Offline

Thanks for the bear info!

After some consideration I think this first trip will end up being more of a camping trip. You know, a decent hike and then set up and stay for two nights just to get away and get a good feel of things. Both of us have medical issues that could surprise us with problems and I don't want to be too far out.

With this plan in mind, are we okay to break from the beaten path a decent bit to set up a camp? Of course we would leave the area as if we weren't there.

We're both getting excited and I look forward to more of everyone's advice!

#109226 - 01/12/09 06:48 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: leadfoot]
Larrold Offline

Leadfoot,

It's nice to find someone who has hiked the Va area. Do you have any recommendations on where to go? Like I mentioned before we're looking for a place for a decent hike and then to camp there for two nights. Preferably not a place that is always busy with a lot of hikers.

#109251 - 01/13/09 05:53 AM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
leadfoot Offline

When I go for short overnighters, I like to pick a loop hike in the Shenandoah National Park. There's quite a few places that you can camp off the trail from the loop. They all feed off of the AT. You need to get a free permit at the ranger's station and if you have a loop in mind, ask them if they know of any spots. You can find the small pocket-sized book at any local outfitter store. I generally park further from the recommended start point, hike the AT and then pick up the loop. You can by section maps of the park as well
to plot your course of action.

Another choice is Cold Mountian/Mt Pleasants down in Buena Vista. My favorite way is to hike on the Hotel trail counterclockwise for around 4-5 miles,(across the balds) camp in this wonderful site...meaning it is flat, soft, and good views. Pack up the next day, or leave that site, and keep hiking about a mile which will bring you back to your car. Then I dump my gear, grab a day pack and hike up Mt Pleasants.(right by the car. No need to drive) That is a 6 miler up and back. There's great spots there to camp as well. The top of Mt Pleasant has wonderful views. I just did that over the holidays. Total miles for both days around 13. I can post some photos if I can figure how. smile

Also, just follow the AT for your chosen distance.

The SNP is going to be celebrating their 100th anniversary (or some such number, not sure what )so keep in mind it will be a busy spring and summer with lots of people.

Ramsey's Draft is another good choice. It's a Wilderness, so the trails aren't exactly well-kept, but it's a fun trail, good camping at Hiner Springs.

#109263 - 01/13/09 12:01 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: leadfoot]
leadfoot Offline

Two good websites for you to see where you'd like to hike.

http://www.hikingupward.com/

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

Also...Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area. My favorite.

#109283 - 01/13/09 07:51 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By Larrold

With this plan in mind, are we okay to break from the beaten path a decent bit to set up a camp?

Breaking away from the beaten path is part of the fun. smile You'll find secluded spots that most people don't see. The main concerns are staying found and finding a close water source. If you're really worried about possible medical issues, it would help to plan things out with someone at home first - take out a topo map and get some general ideas of where you might stay. There are also satellite beacons you can buy that can be used to call for help during an emergency - these are more reliable than cell phones.

#109284 - 01/13/09 07:55 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: leadfoot]
Larrold Offline

Thanks again for all the info. I went through those websites for several hours. I like: Cold Mountain, Roaring Run, and Riprap Hollow Loop. Are you familiar with the last two? Riprap was rated a 1 for camping, but I'm sure we can find a decent place of the path. Then, Roaring Run is rated a 5 for both solitude and camping which grabbed my attention.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks again.

#109285 - 01/13/09 07:57 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Wolfeye]
Larrold Offline

This is the type of things I like to hear. I've always hated the idea of camping with people right next to you. I want to get away and actually have peace!

Thanks for the medical advice also!

#109293 - 01/13/09 09:55 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
leadfoot Offline

Riprap is one of my favorites as well. It can get crowded in the summer with the swimming hole. There are some nice tucked away spots, near the waterfall, but I prefer the top by Chimney Rock and also about a mile from there. Both of these don't have water, but you can get it along the way. Good views. The better way to hike is park at Wildcat ridge, and go clockwise. The AT i that area is pretty easy, so if you want to hike longer, just park further along the AT to pick up the loop.

Jeremy's Run is a good place, too. Not familiar with Roaring Run.

#109358 - 01/14/09 07:09 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: leadfoot]
Larrold Offline

I read that you cannot have fires in the SNP, which is where Riprap Hollow is. Is that true? I really wanted to build a fire to cook with.

#109360 - 01/14/09 07:19 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Try Craig's Creek. I had one of my best trips there. The trail, however, is only about a mile long loop, but it goes through a wide variety of plant growth. It was just a very peaceful get-away.

Bears are not typically a big problem in Virginia, but when you venture into the National Forests versus the National and State parks, they are a little bolder. Really, hang your food, though, there are plenty of other critters that'll want it. And ask the local rangers, there is always the chance of some increased bear activity.

Welcome, nice to have some more VA hikers.

Once you've found your "hiking legs", try the Monongahela in West Virginia. God sure did paint that place pretty.

#109361 - 01/14/09 07:25 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: leadfoot]
Folkalist Offline

Leadfoot's suggestion of the SNP is a really good idea. The SNP has EXCELLENT trail markings. Most all the trails are well-trod. When I first got into BPing, I hiked the SNP alot. The loop hikes are great. I used a book by James Molloy, Day and Overnight hikes in the SNP I think is the title. The author cuts the overnight hikes into manageable pieces and tells you just about everything to expect on the trail. When hiking in the SNP, beware that there are lot of trails (usually the really, really, really popular day hike ones) that don't allow camping. Oh, and avoid the horse trails, they're a mess.

Leadfoot, I can't believe I never notice you were in Virginia before!

#109363 - 01/14/09 07:31 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
Folkalist Offline

Riprap Hollow has some wonderful variation! If I remember correctly that one has some great water holes. The first, down near Wildcat Ridge are pretty popular with the local teens, so we saw a bit of garbage around, but it became more secluded later on. Chimney Rock has a wonderful view. There is a demarcation for no camping about halfway up to Chimney Rock.

#109364 - 01/14/09 07:34 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
Folkalist Offline

It is true, no fires in SNP unless you are in a designated, park maintain campground. You have to use some version of a BPers stove for cooking. If you love camp fires, try the National Forests (Washington and Jefferson in Virginia). They have restrictions due to weather on occasion, but fires are generally allowed.

#109365 - 01/14/09 07:51 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Folkalist]
Larrold Offline

Thanks, man. I'm really looking forward to getting started, but feeling how could it is right now outside, I'm fine waiting until March.

Like I said to Leadfoot, I read that the SNP doesn't allow fires. To me it's not camping without a fire.

#109366 - 01/14/09 07:55 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Folkalist]
Larrold Offline

ok, thanks. Are you familiar with Roaring Run? It's in the George Washington N. F. so fire would be ok. Also, it's closer than the rest and is rated a "5" for both camping and solitude.

#109367 - 01/14/09 07:56 PM Re: Very First Two Nighter [Re: Larrold]
Folkalist Offline

I'm rather twitchy to get back on the trail myself. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum