Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109054 - 01/09/09 01:03 PM Wanting Smaller Kitchen for FBC
just_another_Joe Offline

What can be done to make my kitchen smaller? Assume freezer bag cooking using 16 oz. of hot water for the food bag, then a second use of the stove for a hot drink from the pot. My reflectrix cozy travels on the outside of my keg pot so that is a big bundle. With glue-on velcro, I could open the cozy to a flat sheet for storing in the pack. Suggestions on using a different pot-stove combo or a thinner cozy material would be welcome.

My dilemma is having to heat water twice in a smaller pot or just once in a larger one. Currently my pot is too big in the pack and too small in the kitchen, but the weight is fine. Good size, good function, or good weight, I need some help on which two I get to have.

Edit: The "keg pot" is 24 oz with the cozy shaped to travel on the exterior of the beer can. The alky stove is a V-8/Red Bull size to throw more heat on the narrow pot. In the field, in conditions where both food and a hot drink is needed, I doubt the little stove will boil 22-23 oz. of water in a tall, narrow can. I'm carrying both more insulation and more pot volume than can be utilized. Thank you phat, kbennett, and Barry, the solution is a wider pot, almost full of water, on a more powerful stove with a take-apart cozy that is stored flat. My reflectrix bag or can sleeve is too bulky and works too well when only 10-15 minutes of FBC time is needed. I'm going to look at Sarbar's fabic or a smaller bubble wrap in a mid-sized tyvek envelope. I have some surplus poncho liner fabric that might also work for that use. My summer pot and stove are not my winter ones, even with the +20 to +50 degree daily winter temps here.

Edited by just_another_Joe (01/09/09 04:37 PM)
Edit Reason: answered questions

#109058 - 01/09/09 01:34 PM Re: Wanting Smaller Kitchen for FBC [Re: just_another_Joe]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

How big is your pot? I usually a pot with about 3 cups or a little more in capacity (anti-gravity gear 3 cupper) - with a cozy - So my usual kitchen tack when I want a hot drink as well is to do an essentially full pot worth of water, take out 2 cups into the freezer bag for the food, and make the "rest" (a cup or so) into a hot drink, with the pot in the cozy.

My stove, stand, small cup, windscreen, and a small bottle of alcohol, and mini-bic are packed inside the pot.

Since you're pretty specific - maybe tell us what you are using or include a picture.

Browse my pictures

#109061 - 01/09/09 02:07 PM Re: Wanting Smaller Kitchen for FBC [Re: just_another_Joe]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
To be clear, is your cozy one that fits around the pot, or is it a sleeve that the freezer bag goes into? I like the latter, one that holds a quart sized freezer bag. This works great solo hiking, or in fact can work good for a couple of people sharing food so long as their caloric intake isn't super high (a quart F.B. was right for me alone when thru-hiking, but would be enough for my wife and I together on a more normal trip).

I bought my cozy from Sarbar's site.

Heating water twice: my personal solution to that is to simply not do it, no hot drink, but each to their own there of course. A couple times this year my wife joined me on my long hike and I heated water twice (for two dinners), didn't seem to be a problem.

I can't think of any technical approach that allows you to heat more water than a given pot size will hold (!), so IMO it ultimately comes down to a personal trade-off based on your hiking style and what you want to optimize. The vectors of investigation for me would be (a) attitude adjustment to be happy with less water or heating twice, (b) a big but light pot you can strap on the outside like a tinker ... smile

#109062 - 01/09/09 02:14 PM Re: Wanting Smaller Kitchen for FBC [Re: BrianLe]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Combo of "big" pot, stove, fuel bottle, spoon...dispatched in the pack, "flat" cosy, and as much other gear like clothes as possible stuffed into the pot.

#109064 - 01/09/09 02:43 PM Re: Wanting Smaller Kitchen for FBC [Re: just_another_Joe]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Titan Kettle (4.2 oz): boil 2 C for freezer bag, 1 C for hot chocolate. Nice and small for pack and my complete stove/kitchen set fits in it. I do not need a stuff bag for this since the lid stays snuggly on in the pack. Alcohol cooking keeps the pot clean so no smears on pack contents. And the titanium does not get dinged.

For ziploc bag cooking, I cut a ¼” CCF pad about 6”x18”. This is then rolled and held in place by a velcro band or large rubber band.. The Ziploc bag sits inside. On real cold days <32F, I’ll have a CCF bottom and top for it. In the summer, I don’t use a cozy because the water will stay too hot for too long.

-Barry

#109066 - 01/09/09 02:46 PM Re: Wanting Smaller Kitchen for FBC [Re: frenchie]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
I use a 700ml pot, with a pot cozy *and* a bag cozy. Heat 2 cups of water, pour into freezer bag meal, put bag in bag cozy. Heat 1.5 cups water, add coffee or tea bag, place pot in pot cozy. If I time it right, the meal and the hot drink are ready at the same time.

#109072 - 01/09/09 05:55 PM Re: Wanting Smaller Kitchen for FBC [Re: just_another_Joe]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
I boil 4 cups water in most cases. I often make a couple cups more later for tea time (it has become something a couple of us ladies do - we have after dinner tea :p )

4 cups seems to be perfect for me - enough for dinner, drink and I can clean up my hands/face as well - warm water is so nice in winter.

My pot choice changes by the trip - but if going light I carry a tea kettle that holds said 4 cups smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum