Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108904 - 01/07/09 03:33 PM Penny stoves
Drake Offline

Loc: TX
When I make my penny stoves, I am having a hard time getting a good mating between the fuel pot and the burner lid. I crimp the bottom edges of the burner so it can fit inside the fuel pot and press fit them together. but always seems that I get a "sharp" edge from between two crimp area and it "scores"/deforms/"can't remember the correct name" outside area and prevents a smooth finish and fit. Any idea how to fix/prevent this type of blemish(es).

I might just be trying to be a perfectionist and could just use epoxy to fill in the gap corrected inside and don't worry about outside. I can get my stoves to work but I am still in the experimenting stages. I even got one to work well withmy jetboil mug, just watch out for the cover as it stinks when it starts to burn lol.

drake

#108917 - 01/07/09 06:30 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: Drake]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

takes some fiddling and the right can. I have a lot more success
with heineken cans (they're a bit thicker) than pop cans.

Browse my pictures

#108924 - 01/07/09 06:54 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: phat]
Drake Offline

I been mainly playing with Heineken cans, even though I despise the taste of it (I am a home brewer), I tried using Diet Coke cans, my wife drinks those, and I have tried using the Heiny can as the fuel pot and using the diet coke can as a burner (without crimps).

The Diet can + Heiny can resulted in what looks good, but didn't prime as well my other attempts. I imagine the crimps act as heat radiators and get the temp of the alcohol to a boil quicker.

I am wondering if I can cut tabs into the burner can instead and bend every other tab inward at a 45' angle to result in the same concept as a crimp.... Wish I still had that old crimp roller that my dad had when he was doing sheet metal work.

drake

#108926 - 01/07/09 07:02 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: Drake]
phat Offline

yeah, cutting slots will work too, I've done 'em both ways. Just took a little experimentation to get the "right touch" - but last time I made pennies I got a stash of heieneken cans, made
about a dozen, and tossed 'em in a box. I believe I used the crimp style way then quite successfully, with a slow steady hand pressing them together.
Browse my pictures

#108928 - 01/07/09 07:10 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: phat]
Drake Offline

Heh, I'll try again, but my getting down to the last of the 12-pack. Even my wife don't like the taste, "it taste like water". Which reminds be of a old joke... what you get when take "P" out of Pearl?

Are there any tricks that I might be over looking?

By burner are 0.650" tall and I crimp about half way up with a needle nose pliers in 12 spots. What I am guessing is happening that where the pliers tip is the aluminum is buckling and forming a point there upon compression.

drake

#108929 - 01/07/09 07:22 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: Drake]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Try a Supercat stove, of course you need a dog or cat to help out. The hardest part I had with, was measuring somewhat accurately for where to drill holes. Also, the pot needs to make a good seal on the open top of the burner to pressurize it. The Foster's beer can pot had to be polished off, I'm not a big beer drinker, but on a Saturday evening, I managed to get most of it down. I was very happy with the stoves first firing up.

#108937 - 01/07/09 08:42 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: Drake]
phat Offline

I didn't crimp very hard at all - if you bend it too much you end up with bumpies and it doesn't seem to go in nicely. I didn't really measure it - just kinda followed the directions on mark jurey's site.
Browse my pictures

#108943 - 01/07/09 08:56 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: phat]
Drake Offline

yea thats basically what I am doing...

I'll give it another try or two.. only 4 cans left :P

drake

#108953 - 01/08/09 12:15 AM Re: Penny stoves [Re: Drake]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Ha! I always wondered what a low powered alcy stove would do with the jet boil heat distributor on the bottom of the Jet boil cup. It has potential, but I doubt that it'll save that much fuel to be worthwhile.

As far as the stoves, it's all about the experimenting. Each pot and stove seem to have their own unique preferences. You just have to have a keen eye and be diligent.

#108959 - 01/08/09 12:41 AM Re: Penny stoves [Re: jpanderson80]
Drake Offline

Finally got one made, the way I want it!

Took very slight bending with pliers that didn't "grip" but had a gap between the jaws. Pressed the two halves together and bingo it was done! *looks for some scotch to clean out the beer taste now*

The jetboil mugs do work well with the alchy stove, but I used the "simmer" plate as the jets were too much. I didn't have a timer or do any specific studies with it, but it brought several mugs of water to boil before a "full" alchy stove ran out. Might actually experiment with it later on. Just make sure the "simmering" flame is on center of the mug and not creeping out the edges ... don't ask me how I know that much.

drake

#108974 - 01/08/09 10:41 AM Re: Penny stoves [Re: jpanderson80]
phat Offline

Yeah, I suspect the penny stove might be able to use the jetboil stuff. I haven't personally tried though. It's become my goto stove for most things. If I didn't have that it would be a supercat stove, but I find while (slightly) more complex once you know how to use it the penny is a lot easier to deal with in windier and mildly adverse conditions. the flame pattern is still a bit too wide to use something really tall and narrow like a canpot on top of it, but it's great for most small pots.

Browse my pictures

#108975 - 01/08/09 11:15 AM Re: Penny stoves [Re: phat]
Drake Offline

If one is to use a Penny Stove for/with JetBoil items, I recommend using the Half-Penny Stovedesign. The jets are not as wide and targets the center of the mug/pot.

drake

#108980 - 01/08/09 12:57 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
the flame pattern is still a bit too wide to use something really tall and narrow like a canpot

I hadn't seen that design before. Thanks for the link, phat. I'm gonna have to make one of these too smile

I wonder if you could make one out of those smaller diameter energy drink cans to use with canpots?

"You want to go where?"

#108981 - 01/08/09 12:58 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: billstephenson]
Drake Offline

Yes you can, hence "half-penny" stove concepts :P

#108982 - 01/08/09 01:00 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: Drake]
billstephenson Offline

Ahh... now I get it smile

Thanks!

#108994 - 01/08/09 02:08 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: billstephenson]
Drake Offline

my next goal is going to make a half-penny stove with a support that can sit inside the bottom area of the JetBoil mugs ... I think that will be neat :P But have to find some mesh somewhere around my house.

drake

#109002 - 01/08/09 04:51 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: Drake]
phat Offline

of course you could always ditch your jetboil cup that weighs almost 9 oz for a nice light canpot, anti gravity gear 3 cup pot, or walmart grease pot. All under 10 bucks and half or less the weight of the jetboil.. If you doubt me, paint a big beercan with black high temp paint, set it up over your chosen alky stove, and test boil 2 cups in each - see how much fuel you can practically save - Even if you use a pot like this that's 2 oz heavier than the canpot, you're still saving about 4.5 oz from the jetboil cup. How long to save 4.5 oz in fuel (for me that's about 3 days worth of fuel) using your jetboil cup smile wink wink

Don't get me wrong. the engineer in me things the jetboil is cool technology.. it's just too darn heavy smile
Browse my pictures

#109004 - 01/08/09 05:16 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: phat]
Drake Offline

Phat that is my goal, get replacement pot for my heavy mug... been trying to figure out which one to go with...several options

but in the mean time, I am just playing with what I have at hand :P

drake

#109007 - 01/08/09 05:48 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: phat]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Wow... I have no idea the jetboil cup was that heavy. Man oh man. Phat, you've just blown my mind.

#109014 - 01/08/09 08:36 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: jpanderson80]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
When I started making pop can stoves, it seems I couldn't stop until I build almost every design I could find. Some worked great and some would never pressureize. I even started coming up with variations of other ideas. I built one stove that had a fiberglass wick that was wrapped inside the stove. That thing would burn up 2oz of fuel in about 3 minutes and burn like a blowtorch. I now use a simple pop can stove with the best results of all the other stoves I built. BTW I had to drink a bunch of 24oz cans of Heine. That stuff isn't that great. Too bad a nice Porter didn't have a can to use... wink

#109020 - 01/08/09 09:14 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: jpanderson80]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
My JetBoil PCS is 15.2 ounces without fuel. Most of that weight is the cup. I thought is was pretty good technology, too, and it was a good choice for me as I started into overnight trips. It just doesn't cut it for me anymore and I'm alky-stove impaired blush, hence my recent order of a Brunton Talon. 'Supposed to arrive on Tuesday . . . can't wait!

#109103 - 01/10/09 02:50 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: chaz]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By chaz
When I started making pop can stoves, it seems I couldn't stop until I build almost every design I could find.

<snip>

Too bad a nice Porter didn't have a can to use... wink

I have to play with this too. There are some cool designs out there and the simplicity of some of them is just incredible considering how well they perform.

What I want to try is taking a standard tea candle (not a stove) and placing it an inch or two under a pop can stove so it heats the alcohol in the pop can. This should make it burn faster and hotter. That's not always a great thing, but it might help get my morning coffee done faster and it only weighs a 1/2 oz and has multiple uses.

It might also provide a way to use a taller can that holds more fuel and burns longer and make the stove perform better in cold temps.

That's my theory anyway. I haven't completely read all of the info Tom pointed to, maybe it's been done and I missed it, but what I did read was impressive and from what I've seen, the Super Cat is the ultimate combo of simple to make, use, and performance. Anything more may add performance, but it will also add complexity and probably weight.

Now for me... the best can to experiment with would contain a nice hoppy India Pale Ale. Unfortunately, the only cans that my favorite, Bells IPA, comes in contain 5 or 15 gallons of beer and you can't get them here. Even getting bottles is difficult frown

I'm not as brave as you, chaz. I wouldn't even attempt a single 24oz can of Heine and two would ruin me. It's going to be hard enough to eat a few cans of "Purrfect Gourmet".

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#109107 - 01/10/09 03:21 PM Re: Penny stoves [Re: billstephenson]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Bill, yeah! I did have some funky weird stoves and I'm still thinking of building more. I'm still thinking of an internal wick type pop can stove. I think my problem may lie with too large of holes on the exterior. It is about 1/3 the height of a 12oz can. That thing really burned up the fuel. It is well disperced by the wick so it has a lot of surface. I think there is some type of wick in the Trangia stove I have. If I can shorten the profile closer to a typical pop can stove add less wick material and have smaller jet holes it may work. Either way, it's fun coming up with ideas. And BTW. I had help swilling all that Heine. But I kept the cans....

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum