Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108872 - 01/06/09 09:06 PM golite jam2/pinnacle recommendation
dtp1991 Offline

Loc: Oregon
I am considering buying a golite jam2 or pinnacle pack and am wondering if they are good options for my situation. I am most concerned about the weight they can comfortably handle. I have heard conflicting reviews.

Average Trip:
My base weight excluding back: 11 pounds
average water carried----------------4.4 pounds
average consumables---------------6.5 pounds
Total weight at beginning of average trip: 21.9 pounds excluding pack

Max weight trip:
My base weight excluding back: 11 pounds
average water carried----------------6.6 pounds
average consumables---------------11 pounds
Total max weight i will carry: 28.6 pounds excluding back

Please let me know if you think either of the golite packs would be good options for the weight i carry! Thanks.

#108876 - 01/06/09 09:56 PM Re: golite jam2/pinnacle recommendation [Re: dtp1991]
JAK Offline

I have a large mens Go-Lite Jam2. I like it alot, even for short winter ski trips, but I think the Pinnacle would be better for longer winter trips though I've never had the chance to try one on. Here are some comments on the Jam2...

When I pack it my 72"x28" blue foam pad goes in first, like a cylinder. This takes up 25% of the 3200ci, but it carries very well this way, and is nice to sit on. Sleeping bag and bivy sac go in next, then food bag, then spare clothing, then a small rectangular ziploc box that contains miscellaneous items and keeps the top of the blue foam rectangular. Then something to keep the rain out, like a plasticized map, or stuff sac. On the downside the back pouch does not have much room left when the main bag is stuffed rigid with the blue foam pad. The Jam2 is waterproof, which is generally a good thing, but I wonder on a very wet trip if it might be better if it was breathable. I might replace the back pouch with a more expandable mesh pouch, for wet clothes, and my Kelly Kettle. The side pouches and straps hold water bottles up to a fairly large diameter and whatever height you desire. I'm looking to nest a couple of pot/mugs there with the bottles once I find the right diameter, and perhaps a hobostove.

Weight shouldn't be an issue with the Jam2, as long as you use the blue foam cylinder method. Volume might be an issue. Not sure about the Pinnacle, but it looks similar, only bigger. To save volume you can cut the pad short and use the pack and its pad for your lower legs. You could go with a narrower pad also, which effects the height of the cylinder if you want to reduce volume in summer or for day hikes. I have tried using the Jam2 as a bivy for my legs, thinking I could cut my gortex bivy down to a rain cape, but the Jam2 gets too narrow at the top to fit my upper thighs with a sleeping bag. The Pinnacle might be roomier. The other thing I could do is cut the Jam2 and add a stretchy panel, but I don't want to mess with it too much. It is good at what it is, which is a good intermediate sized pack big enough for long summer trips, skinny enough for cross country skiing, and still small and light enough for day hikes. Very versatile pack, but somewhat inflexible in places.

#108883 - 01/07/09 08:10 AM Re: golite jam2/pinnacle recommendation [Re: dtp1991]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I use a Jam2 with loads almost identical to what you describe. It is the pack I now typically use for 3-4 day, three-season trips here in Arizona and for most of my hikes in the Sierra that do not require a bear canister. For me, the Jam2 is not comfortable with a bear can. I hike in the desert a lot and carry up to 5 liters of water on occasion. The pack handles the load with reasonable comfort but it definitely gets more comfortable as the weight drops. I also have a GoLite Quest that I use for trips where I need to haul more weight; it is a great pack but weighs over twice what the Jam2 does.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum