Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108750 - 01/04/09 10:51 AM Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors?
Bryce Offline

Loc: Stamford, CT
I am sick of hiking boots. They are heavy, too rigid around the heels, I've never needed the extra stability, and they dig into the outsides of my shins as I'm bowlegged. This was the result of my hike yesterday:

....This was on both feet after I cut down the top of the boots to relieve the pressure on my bowlegged shins. I guess if it's not one thing, it's another, right? hehe. I've tried moleskin, vasoline around my heels, wearing various boots casually around town for hours b4 I hiked in them etc.

Anyway, I've given up on hiking boots. (No I don't need your suggestion on another hiking boot that works for you or how you break in shoes ) For winter trail walking w/ the possibility to go through some stuff around 5 inches...I was thinking of waterproof trailrunners or mid-height hiking shows and gaitors. I've never had trouble with sneaker-esk footwear. I was thinking of gaitors like this:

I like the way they do the loop under your foot. If it wears away you can easily replace it with another lace.

And....low trailrunners like this:

Low hikers

but I'm wondering if most gaitors won't go down far enough on a waterproof sneaker like that or do I need a mid-height boot/show like this:

Mid Hikers

Also...I see a lot of what looks like mesh/synthetic uppers that have goretex membranes...do they actually work or do you need something that is more a leather/non-mesh upper to really be waterproof when you're in 5in of snow all day?

Thanks!

#108769 - 01/04/09 08:05 PM Re: Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors? [Re: Bryce]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Owch - I've definately done that to myself in years past with a boot with an ill fitting heel cup that I slipped in going uphill. Getting a good fit (boots or sneakers) will be the only good solution, and I have issues with it myself because I have "duck feet" - wide at the front and a narrow heel, so I really have to pick around to find stuff that my heel doesn't move in.

How "winter" is your winter? I've definately taken trail runners and mini-gaiters through snow before, but like any other time I am doing trail runners I more or less *expect* to get wet. By the time I'm into serious snow and the like I'm into a taller (than your mids that you picture) boot with a calf length gaiter. Many lows and mids will have gore-tex, YMMV with that, I've found them not to work so hot in snow, but I'm a goretex hater. some love it, while I realize you don't want advice on boot fit, you may find that serious winter in completely inadequate footwear is worse. A mukluk, or gosh forbid, boots that fit your heel might be a better choice if you are really cold and snowy. No I won't suggest a boot brand, because that's silly. they're your feet and everything fits different.

I have a pair of mini-gaiters similar to what you show there that I use for light duty warmer weather stuff. I also have the big calf high gore tex jobbies. I've used several different kinds over the years. The mini gaiter is lovely as a "deflector shield" to keep twigs and crap out of the runners, but really doesn't keep you dry if you start wading in snow.

I will caution you on your lace bottom gaiter - I've had such things and used them and found them to be nothing but hateful. The lace ices up and wears quickly if you have it where you can hope to get it undone it constantly comes untied, and if you knot it up so it stays it ices over and is a royal pita to get undone at the end of the day. while yes you can replace it with another lace or rope, you can do that in a pinch on real gaiters, (and by "real" I mean they have a nice buckle and strap), and most gaiters with a buckle and strap will allow you to replace the strap when it wears easily - and they sell replacements - for example, on my MEC gaiters I can replace the strap for 10 bucks

Alternatively, if your shoe will accept them, and you really need the snow protection, you could try a full cover gaiter with a rubber welt on the bottom - I don't use these, but might if I was told I had to do a winter trip in a trail runner (and lots of thick socks.)

I'm curious about what sort of boots you're into that they are "hitting your shins" - I assume you're buying full height type stuff. a shorter (and better fitting) boot might be more appropriate. My boots do not come anywhere near my shins, they end just above my ankles (similar to these) but wearing them with full height gaiters are nice in snow:

As opposed to wearing my montrails with mini-deflector sheilds, where I do still expect to get them wet:

and dry out after..

Edited by phat (01/04/09 08:24 PM)
Browse my pictures

#108771 - 01/04/09 08:31 PM Re: Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors? [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I've never understood the usefulness of short gaiters. Maybe in summer or spring, but not for winter, that is winter with snow - it's winter here in LA but it's 50 or so outside. I have tall ones I use with boots. I have used wire to tie mine on. String is useless in the long run.

If I was you, I would look at NEOS overshoes. They are designed to be worn with a shoe or boot, have real soles on them and some models have insulation. I'd buy the tall ones. I don't have them, but have read good reports on them from people who do and who use them in very cold weather.

Some overboots are designed to be worn over winter mountaineering boots and can only be used with crampons. Obviously those are not what you want, so don't get confused by the label.

www.overshoes.com

Edited by TomD (01/04/09 08:32 PM)

#108774 - 01/04/09 08:36 PM Re: Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors? [Re: Bryce]
phat Offline

Hey, one more thing - your war wound photo shows a lot of "bunching up" around that sock - how many socks you wearing in that photo? (and the reason I ask is that I definately have issues myself if I wear the wrong, or too many socks)

Edited by phat (01/04/09 08:39 PM)
Browse my pictures

#108784 - 01/04/09 10:37 PM Re: Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors? [Re: Bryce]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
I'm one of those that hates goretex in my boots (I wear Merrell Ventilator mid's).

You might try some Sealskinz socks (sealskinz.com) inside your trail shoes. I don't get that much snow around here to test them in but I do get plenty of wet, cold, rainy mud and they do well.
Here's a link to a US distributor:
http://www.danalco.com/htmls/products/products.shtml

T

#108804 - 01/05/09 12:52 PM Re: Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors? [Re: TomD]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am with Tom and the NEOS, since you are sold against boots. I tried some on the other day with my trail runners, and man they felt just like my trail runners. laugh You could also look at mukluks, but only if you aren't in too wet of snow.

#108814 - 01/05/09 03:25 PM Re: Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors? [Re: finallyME]
Bryce Offline

Loc: Stamford, CT
I am willing to hike in some pretty deep stuff, just my hiking opportunities with groups haven't surfaced with that stuff yet. I guess I'd switch to snowshoes and 'float' on top of the snow if it got too deep.

The gaitors I pictured aren't necessarily the ones I picked. I put up their pictures because of the way they secure under the foot. I agree, I'd be going to calf length gaitors if I pick some up.

With any gaitors...I'm not sure why you'd have to unlace the bottoms to get them off/on. Wouldn't you just un-velcro them and slip them off the back of your heel, leaving the laces tied?

W/ regards to the boots I was wearing, the top of them dug into the outside of my leg about 1/5 inches north of the center of my outside ankle bone if that makes any sense. Perhaps shin wasn't the right word?

Hrmm..I guess I'm getting stuck between two hikes. One is the very easy goin trail hike where I think I'm gunna try some trainers and sealskins and calf gaitors. Then it seems like there are more involved hikes with some nasty fluffy snow where those overshoes look the business...hrmmm. I wonder how heavy the overboots are? If I'm hiking a couple of miles a heavy overboot could suck.

As for the socks, they are your run of the mill wool blend heavy weight winter hiking socks. They do look bunched up in the photo, but I generally like to pull my socks up real right b4 I lace them up (years of being a picky soccer player). Perhaps it's just the state of the socks after a flung the boots off, hehe.

Thanks for the help thus far!

#108815 - 01/05/09 03:35 PM Re: Hiking boots hurt, mids and gaitors? [Re: Bryce]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Bryce

With any gaitors...I'm not sure why you'd have to unlace the bottoms to get them off/on. Wouldn't you just un-velcro them and slip them off the back of your heel, leaving the laces tied?

If the gaitor velcros in front then yes, although it depends on the desigh. I find it difficult for me with some gaitors to get them on and hook them through the laces far enough forward when doing that, but some it works ok with. Still the "lace" ones will be a pita when they shred and/or come undone. Trust me, get ones with real straps, they're better - if you're concerned about wear buy an extra set of straps with the gaitors. (they do eventually wear out but it takes a while)
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com