Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107303 - 12/02/08 04:23 PM MSR Needle stake review
rootball Offline

This is gonna be short and to the point. I got some needle stakes for free- good thing they were free. They suck. A little lighter and lot harder to use in various conditions. They are fragile and will snap off. They hurt like crazy to push in. The little hook at the top is not great for webbing and looks like it would actually be abrasive and may wear out webbing loops.
Bottom line - not for me.
Basic shepards hooks seem to work a lot better.

#107304 - 12/03/08 11:36 AM Re: MSR Needle stake review [Re: rootball]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Like so many things in the backpacking world, different people like different things --- the shoes that are perfect for me are terrible for you, etc.

I guess stakes are, to some degree at least, the same. I carried MSR needle stakes on the PCT this year and still love them.

I found them very strong; I often pounded them in with a rock into dense and rocky soil and never bent or broke one or even seriously crunched the tip. In contrast, the hollow round light stakes that came with my Tarptent Contrail quickly crunched flat on the tips when pounded in with a rock.

The needle stakes can "nest" --- put the needle tip of one into the hook end of another. Put two side by side like that with a single rubber band and you have a single unit of stakes that has only smooth ends; I carry them this way in the external mesh of my pack or just anywhere without fear of sharp pokes into my delicate gear.

I don't find that they hurt to put in --- I use a rock or push them in with the sole of my shoe. I didn't have any problem with the hooks, but I'm not sure what's meant by "webbing" --- I just have light cord that's part of my tent to be held by the hook at the top.

No needle stake is going to have the holding power of a bigger, heavier stake, but for me these are an excellent trade off. In those cases where I've had holding power trouble, using a big rock on top (or sometimes instead) of the stake always did the trick.

Rootball, to be clear, I'm not posting this to say "You're wrong" (!) --- I'm sure you've thought about the trade-offs and ultimately just came to a different conclusion. For those trying to select among gear choices, it's great to have different points of view to consider.

#107305 - 12/04/08 10:31 AM Re: MSR Needle stake review [Re: BrianLe]
hikerFedEx Offline

Loc: United States
I concur. Not hugely impressed by holding power, but what do you expect for the weight. I too use my boot or rock to pound into hard ground. The hook is small, but on the other hand it seems to work for SUL cords. I also like titanium shepard hooks with orange paint for visibility. Slightly lighter, and can sneak them in between rocks, roots a little easier.

I also like titanium Vargo nail pegs for similar reasons and little stronger, though heavier. Have tried tubular aluminum nail pegs for weight reasons but no longer carry them. Have broken several in winter or frozen ground - usually pulling them out. the solid ones may bend but hard to break them.

None of these have the holding power of larger heavier V stakes of course, but....usually these are fine as a set of 8 with my tarp/shelter or LUNA SOLO tarptent.

I often carry a mix, of mostly lightest stakes, and 2 or more or even half of the total number slightly stronger or longer or better holding power depending on the trip/conditions.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum