Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106055 - 11/08/08 06:00 AM Spinnaker cloth?
RobA Offline

I saw this on maybe GG website? Or another lite weight gear site.

I don't follow the gear very close on the internet. But is this the new fabric to replace silnylon?

Seems lighter, waterproof, stronger?

Tell me more about this sail cloth and what some of you folks are using it for.

#106056 - 11/10/08 03:52 PM Re: Spinnaker cloth? [Re: RobA]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Search old posts on this and other sites. The answers vary. We all long for stronger, lighter materials.

#106057 - 11/16/08 07:32 PM Re: Spinnaker cloth? [Re: RobA]
Ender Offline

Loc: ME
Essentially, yes. It's all of those things. Well, not really stronger. It's a much lighter fabric, so it doesn't deal nearly as well with abrasion and punctures, so more care is needed with it. But, it's a good way to save a few ounces in a tarp. And good quality spinnaker is more waterproof than sil nylon, so you'll get less of the misting in a heavy rain. There's a couple tarptents out there now made of it... the Squall Classic is the one I've seen in person, and it kinda rocks... I want one.

#106058 - 11/17/08 03:59 AM Re: Spinnaker cloth? [Re: RobA]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Spinnaker is less forgiving than silnylon, in my experience. It can haved an almost brittle quality when under tension. Stitching can act like "tear here" perforations.

OYOH, I have a Spinnaker wallet that has had daily use for 3 or so years. It is really beaten up and should be replaced, but still holds money, credit cards, etc. My first aid stuff sack, made about the same time, is also holding up well. It is less beaten up, but normally rides untouched in my hanging food bag.

CM

#106059 - 11/17/08 06:37 AM Re: Spinnaker cloth? [Re: CamperMom]
JAK Offline

Here is a good web-site on spinnaker cloth as used for spinnakers in the sailmaking industry. Spinnakers are those big colourful balloon-like sails that modern racing boats use downwind. The sails need to be strong, yet light. It is also important that they don't absorb too much water, because that makes them heavier. The ones for really light air sometimes do breath and absorb a little, so that they lift better as long as they don't get wet.

Point I am making is that spinnaker cloth varies. The first spinnakers were made of silk, soon replaced by nylon. A new material called Cuben fiber is now coming into use, and can be lighter still. In backpacking circles we call this Cuben fibre, not Spinnaker cloth, even though it is principally used for Spinnakers.

OK, here is that link..

Sailcloth weight converter,
which will explain why 0.5oz Spinnaker Cloth actually weighs 1.02 to 1.13 oz per square yard.
http://www.sailcloth.com/
Click on the sailcloth weight converter!

If you think about what its designed for, it has many backpackign applications. The stuff on the upper bounds of each generic band will be more waterproof, but not the total waterproofing you may want for a tarp. If you want to waterproof it yourself you might want something on the lower end of a band as it might absorb your own waterproofing better. The stuff on the lower end also makes a nice semi-breathable wind layer. The absolute lightest nylon spinnaker cloth is about 0.8 oz per square yard, but you are more likely to find stuff that weighs 1.0 oz per square yard left untreated or 1.5 oz per square yard if its been waterproofed. If there is a sailmaker in your town I would start there. They may also make you an excellent tarp if you give them a pattern. They are also used to making stuff like sail covers, sailbags, duffel bags, so they could also make you an ultra-light backpack if you gave them a pattern.

#111249 - 02/14/09 05:10 AM Re: Spinnaker cloth? [Re: RobA]
jorgoz Offline

Loc: Belgium
Depends for what you want to use it for i guess.

Check out post nr. 34 on the following link

TarpTent Sublite in Silnylon

It's about a couple of shelters pitched in windy condition. You'll be suprised which ones survived (unscathed that is).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum