Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101630 - 08/24/08 01:59 PM Vermillion Lodge- Edison Lake boat ferry
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
As of yesterday, noon, the drop-off point at the east end of Edison Lake has been moved almost 2 miles down the trail due to extreme water drops in Lake Edison. It is now dubious if the boat ferry is worth the money, since by the time you get to the present boat landing, you are only an hour and half (about 2.5-3 miles) from the trailhead. The signs they have posted are also very sparse. We, along with several others, yesterday, ended up going to the wrong landing and had to climb up over rock slabs, regain the trail and walk about a half-hour more to meet the boat.

I know it is late, but if you are starting the JMT, I would suggest that you DO NOT make a stop at Vermillion, rather only supply at Muir Ranch.

#101631 - 09/09/08 08:12 AM Re: Vermillion Lodge- Edison Lake boat ferry [Re: wandering_daisy]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I agree. I just completed the JMT and talked with several people who went into VVR. All of them mentioned the low water, the long trip to the dock and the absence of signs. They also mentioned the hospitality once they got there but several said that they would bypass the place next time. I resupplied at MTR and was quite happy with the service.

#101632 - 11/05/08 06:18 AM Re: Vermillion Lodge- Edison Lake boat ferry [Re: Pika]
RobA Offline

I stopped at Vermillion during my PCT thru hike in 07. There was much talked about drama before arriving. My year also had low water. They had planted an American Flag on the end of rock/sand bar. It was fairly easy to find. Especially because we had about 20 thru hikers taking the ride in to resupply.

Before going I heard a mixture of stories about going or not, based on prices, hospitality etc.

I can't speak for this years water issue. If you have to walk miles to get to the place perhaps the ranch is easier. But if you got a few bucks on ya and want a hot meal and shower check out Vermillion.

As warned I watched what I bought. He likes to have everyone run a tab - this can be bad for those hungry thru hikers who keep getting more and more off the shelves before they have to fist out their cash.

I thought prices were very in line with what a remote camp store would charge. The owner (no clue his name) made an effort to be very kind. A welcoming meeting followed by a free beer. (In face I got a can of budweiser and he told me to put it back and get a bottled of imported beer since it was on him)

To each his own, I enjoyed the campfire with 20 of my friends, one of the few times it happened along the whole PCT. I always welcome a warm shower and a hot cooked meal. Everything was par or better and I am sure it cost me, but It was not so expensive that I even recall how much.

Anyway, if the don't stop here post was based solely on the water issue perhaps I agree. If people are not sure about going because of bad rumors, I suggest you try it for yourself and keep in mind thats its a small, very remote camp store on a lake.

BTW the couple miles coming down to the landing were some of the most floral of my trip also.

#101633 - 11/05/08 12:02 PM Re: Vermillion Lodge- Edison Lake boat ferry [Re: wandering_daisy]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I had a great time at VVR during my '06 JMT thruhike. They delivered on the free (1) beer and free bunktent as advertised. The food was so-so and a bit expensive but no more so than any similar camp.

The only negative thing I can say is that I was locked into the ferry schedule so I had to wait a couple of hours on both ends which precluded an early start on the day I left. I know the ferry is optional an it's possible to hike to VVR but it was a very refreshing ride on a hot day.

Once the water is back up to its normal level the water taxi will not be hard to find.

#101634 - 11/07/08 09:23 AM Re: Vermillion Lodge- Edison Lake boat ferry [Re: RobA]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
My original post specifically addressed the low water issue. I have no problem with the lodge. The Lake Edison lakebed simply has the geography that low water levels result in dramatic shrinking of the shoreline. Given that there is a good trail that you can walk out on, the ferry does not save a lot of time in very low water years. By the way, daily water levels of reservoirs are available on the California DWR website - google "California DWR CDEC". The other disadvantage of Vermillion Lodge, for PCT or JMT hikers, is that it's location is only a few days from Reds Meadow and Reds Meadows is long enough from Tioga Pass that just about everyone resupplies there. In spite of Vermillion Lodge's geographic disadvantages, they do seem to be very friendly and are trying their best to appeal to long distance hikers. The meals are quite reasonable and good.

As for the boat ferry, I have used both Vermilion and the ferry at Florence Lake, and I thought the Florence Lake ferry was superior. The boats were better and they kept to their schedules. But then PCT hikers do not usually go all the way out - rather resupply at Muir Ranch so the ferry service at Florence Lake may be a moot point.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum