Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100502 - 07/26/08 10:47 PM First aid course for backpacking?
Ronia Offline

Hi, I'm fairly new at backpacking and am wondering if people recommend taking a specific course in backpacking or wilderness first aid, and if so, how much training people think is reasonably necessary. I'm interested in doing trips of a week or less, and between regular first aid courses and wilderness first aid courses there are too many choices with huge price ranges. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

#100503 - 07/27/08 09:00 AM Re: First aid course for backpacking? [Re: Ronia]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Although expensive, Wilderness First Responder course are worth it. Be sure that they also teach emergency protocol (how to properly go get help or evacuate the injured). You also would get more benifit from the wilderness course if you were to take a free or low cost basic first aid course beforehand (or read a book on first aid), if you have no previous first aid knowledge.

Discount course may not offer certification or adequate "hands on" practice. If you choose a cheaper non-certified course, be sure to get an outline of the course to see that all areas are covered adequately.

#100504 - 07/27/08 11:25 AM Re: First aid course for backpacking? [Re: Ronia]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Ronia...

I agree with Wandering-Daisy that a "Wilderness First Responder" class is the best bet, especially if you're going to be hiking in more remote areas. I think the class is better simply because in the 80-100 hours or so of the class, you spend alot of time practicing your skills. The knowledge base is more or less the same between the various levels of training, though the WFR does give a little more background information that helps you understand why the body responds to trauma and illness the way that it does. But the practice time is where the WFR really stands out. It takes years of practice to really grasp the subtleties of emergency medicine, so the benefit with practice is developing "muscle memory" so that you can respond more quickly without having to stop and think through a situation.

The definition of "wilderness medicine" is being more than 1 hour from definitive medical care. What this means is that you will need to know how to manage your patient for more than an hour, up to days depending on how far out you are. You can figure out on your own how to splint a break and stop bleeding, but it really helps to understand how the body responds, for example, to internal bleeding, and how you can use pulse and breathing rate to figure out if someone is simply bruised, or if they are bleeding inside.

If you have absolutely no medical background, I recommend starting with a basic course and working your way up to a longer course. It takes several times of seeing the material to really etch it into memory. I can tell from experience, it still takes alot more than a class to really become second nature, but the class is a great way to get started. I started out in basic First Aid many (many) years ago, took several "wilderness first aid" classes (I used to climb quite a bit), took time off from first aid, then did a WFR, EMT-I and EMT-II. Now I use my EMT skills at my job, where I'm the first person to lay eyes on the patients who walk into the ER. You'd be surprised how many really really sick people walk into the ER when they should have called 911.

MNS

#100505 - 08/01/08 04:03 PM Re: First aid course for backpacking? [Re: Ronia]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
You can try looking for a Wilderness First Aid course offered by American Red Cross.
I recently took this 2 day class as it was offered by a local Boy Scout troop in DFW area (Garland). This is one of their services to the community.

You might also want to consider the BSA first aid merit badge. You can buy the book and perhaps even take a class if it is offered by a local troop. I teach this class for our troop along with an assistant scoutmaster who is a doctor and my wife (registered nurse). We are blessed to have several doctors in our troop (one is an ER doc). I often have requests from parents to take the class and have even offered it to our sponsoring organization. For us, this is usually a 4-6 week class taught on a Sunday afternoon for 2-2.5 hours each session (just so you can plan accordingly).

The main consideration between "normal" first aid and "wilderness" first aid is response time and equipment. You have to learn to improvise and also develop "situational awareness".

You can go onto Amazon and search for Mountaineering First Aid and you will see the book we used in our WFA class.

If you want more info, send me a private message (PM).

Tango

#100506 - 08/02/08 06:59 PM First aid course? Nat'l Ski Patrol O.E.C. course [Re: Ronia]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
If you're unable to get the Wilderness 1st Responder course the National Ski Patrol offers the Outdoor Emergency Care course which is essentially an EMT Basic course with special attention to ALL SEASON outdoor care. It's about the same number of classroom hours as the Wilderness 1st Responder course.

I had it when I patrolled as a Nordic Patroller for 10 years in the 70's & '80's and am re-taking it now for alpine patrolling this winter. Very hefty manual. Take the course and you'll have a lot of peace of mind, as will your travelling companions.

Eric
P.S. You don't have to be a candidate patroller to take the course.

Edited by 300winmag (08/02/08 07:00 PM)

#100507 - 08/07/08 06:04 PM Re: First aid course for backpacking? [Re: wandering_daisy]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Definitely agree with the above posts. The WFR course is great, I'd recommend going with Wilderness Medical Associates or the National Outdoor Leadership School if you can travel or can find a class near you, their reputations are top notch. However, if you're strapped for time or for cash, you may consider taking a basic First Responder class. It doesn't teach wildernes medicine specifically, but injury and illness are the same everywhere, only your mindset changes. You can probably find one of those courses very close to home, check with your local fire department, EMS service or Emergency Management Agency. Look for a course that offers a certification, ideally one through the above institutes or through the National Registry of EMTs; Good Samaritan laws aside, having that piece of paper is some good peace of mind.

#100508 - 08/15/08 02:31 PM Re: First aid course for backpacking? [Re: Ronia]
bmisf Offline

Another vote for WFR training. I got mine four years ago and recertified this past fall - one of the best things I've done, and I definitely recommend NOLS/Wilderness Medicine Institute. I had consistently great instructors in Flagstaff, AZ (where I did my initial training) and outside of Bishop, CA (where I did the recert).

One of the best things about the training is the practical scenarios (most done outside, even when it's 3° F and snowy, as it was one day in Flagstaff). Our last big scenario for the full course was literally in a snowstorm, off trail, on Humphreys Peak - obviously unplanned on the weather, but fortuitous and such a great and illuminating experience.

It's pricey and takes 9-10 days for the initial training - so if that's not for you, then Wilderness First Aid classes are at least a step in the right direction (but in no way comparable to the WFR course).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum