link to specific post or thread

Posted by: 41253

link to specific post or thread - 07/09/17 09:20 AM

Is there a way to email soneone a one-clicklink to a specific post or thread on this forum? I've noticed that the address bar never changes on thus site when I navigate around.
Tnx!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: link to specific post or thread - 07/09/17 10:39 AM

I always wondered that myself--always found it annoying when attempting to refer readers to a previously existing post.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: link to specific post or thread - 07/09/17 01:46 PM

Yes, but it takes a small bit of work. Each post has its own post 'number' which you can see right before the date of the particular post (for example, the post number for your post starting this thread is #198705).

If you click on a post from the main forum page, you'll see the URL change for that post, and will look something like: http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=198682#Post198682

If you sent that to someone, they would click on it and go directly to that post. If it's the first post in the thread, it would also, of course, lead them to that thread.

But what if it's an old post and not a new post clickable from the main forum page?

Just use the same line as above, but substitute the post number with the post number of the post you want to direct someone to in both places (ie, 198682#Post198682 would become 198705#Post198705).

Hope that all makes sense.
Posted by: packlite

Re: link to specific post or thread - 07/10/17 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By 41253
Is there a way to email soneone a one-clicklink to a specific post or thread on this forum? I've noticed that the address bar never changes on thus site when I navigate around.
Tnx!

At the bottom right of this text box there are several options that look like this:

Edit Reply Quote Notify Email Post

I see them on my post box, do you see them ?
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: link to specific post or thread - 07/10/17 01:32 PM

Too funny. Certainly a lot easier than the rigamarole I posted!
Posted by: packlite

Re: link to specific post or thread - 07/10/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By JustWalking
Too funny. Certainly a lot easier than the rigamarole I posted!

To be fair, it wasn't there earlier this morning. I just enabled that feature in response to the inquiry. I didn't know the feature existed until I looked.
Posted by: 41253

Re: link to specific post or thread - 07/10/17 06:38 PM

Thanks for both the hard way and the new easy way!