Edmund Hillary Dies

Posted by: Paddy_Crow

Edmund Hillary Dies - 01/10/08 03:29 PM

Just read the news...

Story
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Edmund Hillary Dies - 01/10/08 05:27 PM

Sir Edmund Hillary was a true hero, both on and off the mountain. Fortunately for us, his legacy will live on in the faces of young Sherpas today.

"People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things."

Sir Edmund Hillary
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Edmund Hillary Dies - 01/10/08 05:33 PM

I wanted to make this a separate post. Whenever I think of Sir Edmund climbing Everest for the first time I always include the memory of Tenzing Norgay, who was only a foot step behind him at the summit. He died in 1986.
Posted by: EricKingston

Re: Edmund Hillary Dies - 01/10/08 06:54 PM

There seems to be a lot of sad news lately. Regardless, in my book, Sir Edmund is a benchmark of mankind.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Edmund Hillary Dies - 01/10/08 09:48 PM

Edmund Hillary's insistance on sharing the full glory and credit of summiting Everest with Tenzing Norgay has always been one of the best gauges of his character. The western media would have gladly awarded him all the glory and shoved Tenzing off to the side as a footnote.

Hillary did everything he could to share the spotlight equally with his climbing partner. For decades he insisted that they held hands and summited simultaneously. you gotta love him for that.