Greetings from the (not so) prairie state

Posted by: UrbanYeti

Greetings from the (not so) prairie state - 09/24/21 12:29 PM

What’s up everyone and greetings from north central Illinois. I am a long time day hiker that recently transitioned to backpacking in the UP a few times. I have done side work and volunteered with several nature preserves organizations with ecosystem restoration efforts so my pack usually consists of chainsaws and other work essentials. Aside from that, I came looking to connect with people and places to check out. Finding like minded people outside the realm of Facebook has been proving very challenging.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Greetings from the (not so) prairie state - 09/24/21 12:43 PM

Welcome! I'm not sure how many members we have here from your part of the world...but we're always looking for more!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Greetings from the (not so) prairie state - 09/24/21 12:47 PM

Welcome! I live in Ohio, and backpack in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky area; there are some nice places there that aren't too hateful a drive: Mammoth Cave National Park, Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, Great South Fork NRRA, and the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky, Shades State Park, Deam Wilderness, and the Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana; most of Ohio's good backpacking is in southeastern Ohio, which is a stretch from northern Illinois. I don't know if it counts as being "in" the UP, but don't forget to visit Isle Royale National Park, if you haven't done so yet. Been there twice - two best trips ever (and that includes Shenandoah NP and the Grayson Highlands, both along the AT.

So, where do you backpack in the UP?

Re: Greetings from the (not so) prairie state - 09/24/21 01:50 PM

Thanks Glenn. I’ve done car camping at Pictured Rocks and did a 4 day trek through the Porcupine Mountains. I just picked up a trail map and book to start planning a trip to Isle Royale. Looking to do the Greenstone from Windigo to Rock Harbor in a few years, so I have a little time to try and sucker some friends to join.
Posted by: Tom7654

Re: Greetings from the (not so) prairie state - 09/24/21 02:12 PM

I'm always glad to see people volunteering for trail work and nature areas - thank you! I have taken a couple of backpacking trips on the Manistee River/North Country Trail Loop (in Manistee National Forest) and it is a great area. Here are others I want to try, based on the book "50 Hikes in Michigan" by Jim DuFresne:
South Manitou Island (long ferry ride required)
Highbanks Trail (in Huron National Forest)
Jordan River Pathway (in Mackinaw State Forest)
Chippewa Trail in (Negwegon State Park)

Re: Greetings from the (not so) prairie state - 09/24/21 03:17 PM

Awesome, I’ll have to check that book out too. Thanks!
Posted by: BZH

Re: Greetings from the (not so) prairie state - 09/27/21 01:59 PM

Welcome! I grew up in the UP and most of my family is still there so I get back regularily. Lots of great places to visit.