Anyone up in/near Marquette MI? Pictured Rocks?

Posted by: a_gunslinger

Anyone up in/near Marquette MI? Pictured Rocks? - 04/28/21 10:02 PM

Headed up next week and arrive on a Sunday.  And getting shuttled to Au Sable for start at 8am Monday.  Cant find any clear places up there that have fuel canisters for sure.  Some outfitters but they are all closed on Sunday  =^/   Might send up but the post offices are closed on Sunday also.  Cant pack in checked bag.  Walmart has limited stock/none.  

Anyone up in that area have any ideas?  Can I send some up to you?  ;^)
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Anyone up in/near Marquette MI? Pictured Rocks? - 04/29/21 01:49 AM

I assume you're staying at a hotel? If so, just call them and ask about shipping some camping stuff to them in your name as you'll be a guest. Some hotels won't have an issue with this.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Anyone up in/near Marquette MI? Pictured Rocks? - 04/29/21 09:53 AM

I grew up in the UP but my family is about 100 miles from Marquette. I would be surprised if Walmart is really out of cannisters. They usually have stock, though I guess you would be in a pickle if they didn't have one. Can you order one for in-store pick-up?

Sending one to the motel you are staying at (as mentioned above) is a good idea. The other thought I had is the shuttle. If you are setting up a shuttle perhaps you can ship the cannister to them and they will give it to you when they pick you up. Any Yooper would be more than happy to do that.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Anyone up in/near Marquette MI? Pictured Rocks? - 04/29/21 02:23 PM

Do remember that fuel canisters must ship by surface mail--make sure they will arrive in the time frame! The Walmart suggestion is a good one. Good luck!
Posted by: BZH

Re: Anyone up in/near Marquette MI? Pictured Rocks? - 04/30/21 09:23 AM

I went and verified. You can order a cannister for pick up at the Marquette Walmart. You can pick it up today or they will hold it for up to 4 days. Just order one 3-4 days before you leave.

Also.... you are getting a shuttle Au Sable or Au Train? Au Sable is in lower Michigan as far as I know. Au Train is by Pictured Rocks.