Tent comparison questions

Posted by: nopeda

Tent comparison questions - 04/22/20 12:06 PM

Does anyone have experience with these two 4 season 2 person tents? Whether or not having experience with these particular tents do you feel the difference in price is justified by a similar difference in quality? From my inexperienced position it looks like the Geertop 4 season 2 person tent might be of a heavier more robust material than the Flytop 4 season 2 person tent which looks again from my ignorant position to be of pretty much the same design. The difference in price certainly is significant, but is the difference in quality also as significant as the difference in price?

Thank you for any help!

David
Maine, USA
Posted by: BZH

Re: Tent comparison questions - 04/22/20 03:31 PM

they both look like pretty low end tents from off-brands. I wouldn't expect significant differences in quality.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Tent comparison questions - 04/22/20 04:21 PM

Here's a good article by a reputable reviewer; these are relatively inexpensive tents that will last and hold up in adverse conditions far better than the off brands you mention: Ten best budget backpacking tents of 2020
Posted by: aimless

Re: Tent comparison questions - 04/22/20 07:49 PM

As far as quality goes, consider both of them as "a pig in a poke", whose quality is totally unknown. Off brand gear knocked-off from reputable makers usually strives for the appearance of a good piece of gear, while not bothering to incorporate any understanding of the design they are copying or how the shortcuts they take and cheaper materials they use will affect your ability to use their product while backpacking.

If you buy one of these, just figure you might get a tent that is kind of heavy and clumsy, but serviceable for several years, or a tent that becomes a piece of trash after a couple of uses. Neither Flytop nor Geertop is likely to be selling tents under those brand names two years from now.

Look at the reviews OregonMouse linked to. With an REI tent, you will at least get a designer who understands tent design, a tent that will last you, a maker who wants your return business for decades, and a very generous return policy. I wouldn't recommend buying anything cheaper than their tents.
Posted by: Terrakion

Re: Tent comparison questions - 04/25/20 01:21 AM

From my experience, it's better to search for other brands. Yes, the price can be higher but it will be a quality tent. Coleman brand has many good reviews. We have 4 season 6 person and are glad about this purchase.

~Kevin