Sleeping pad for bad back

Posted by: NickinVA

Sleeping pad for bad back - 03/21/20 02:01 PM

Hi all!
New member here. I started camping with my young kids last summer with the aid of a new Jeep and we've really gotten into it. These are local trips, usually one night, and I'm not backpacking, so weight isn't an issue. I'm trying to find a sleep system that works for me, since apparently now I'm old and my back tightens up painfully without some cushion. Anyone have any experience with either of these products:
LuxuryMap™ Sleeping Pad
Trail Pro™ Sleeping Pad

both are from Thermarest. One is significantly heavier (by weight) than the other, but difficult to tell the difference in effect, since they're the same thickness. Thoughts or other recommendations? Thanks very much!
Nick in Virginia
Posted by: aimless

Re: Sleeping pad for bad back - 03/21/20 03:32 PM

If you don't need a self-inflating pad, you might consider the Exped MegaLite 12, Medium (73" x 20"), air mattress that is available from REI-Outlet right now. It is nearly five inches thick, has an R-value above 5, and can be inflated to whatever softness or hardness works best for your back. I have the Long Wide version (77" x 30") for car camping and it is excellent.

If you include the 'Schnozzle' bag that makes inflating it much easier, the whole setup weighs about 2 lb. 6 oz. That's hardly lightweight according to the usual practices of most of our members, but for car camping the thickness/comfort it offers makes it a very reasonable choice.
Posted by: NickinVA

Re: Sleeping pad for bad back - 03/21/20 07:43 PM

Thank you so much for your response! This one?
https://www.enwild.com/backpacking-and-camping-gear/sleeping-pads/exped-megamat-lite-12.html
Posted by: aimless

Re: Sleeping pad for bad back - 03/21/20 09:03 PM

Yup. I see you found some of the bigger sizes available out there.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Sleeping pad for bad back - 03/23/20 01:33 PM

I agree with Aimless. I am at an age where self inflating mats are no longer thick enough for me to get a good nights sleep. 4 inches plus thickness and 25 inch wide mat are what I need.