The shape of the future?

Posted by: bobito9

The shape of the future? - 11/12/19 06:50 PM

I thought this was an interesting article. Can't argue with the idea of assisting the Forest Service when they don't have the funding, but it also gives Washington an excuse to cut their funding further, plus it's a different sort of accountability for the care of natural resources when it's the Chamber of Commerce leading the way.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fed-up...over/ar-BBWEDFl
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: The shape of the future? - 11/13/19 01:09 AM

I would be concerned that local groups might not have the same vision for the long term protection of these areas, as we have seen in the recent events in Utah.

But then again, the current team in Washington doesn't have that vision either. Difficult times.

Re: The shape of the future? - 11/13/19 05:01 PM

Yeah, if the Forest Service were strong in asserting their leading role, and mandated that all local initiatives had to be guided by the goals of protecting natural resources and wilderness qualities that would be one thing. However we know that the present administration is itching to privatize and profitize many functions of the National Parks, and no doubt of the National Forests as well. One would hope that Mammoth et al would want to protect the qualities that draw us to the mountains near there, but there is a lot more money to be made from people eating out, bike rentals, ski lifts and what not than there is from backpackers.
One issue that I am concerned about is the the road to Devil's Postpile. Mammoth really wants a new road built into that valley. It has always been narrow and steep and often opens late in the season and the road is in poor shape. I admit,it is kind of a pain taking the shuttle in during daytime hours but after having spent a month last summer in the area going in and out from Mammoth to do various backpacking trips and visit my partner working at the Postpile, I have to say that I appreciate how much (relatively) quieter and less crowded it makes that corridor from Agnew to Red's. A new road without vehicle restrictions is going to really change the local character for the worse.

Re: The shape of the future? - 11/13/19 05:06 PM

One thing that is being done by local govt's that is good is that Inyo County (or maybe it's Bishop and Mammoth working together? Not sure) has funded a trail crew for the area. This is as well as their CCC trail crew. Here's a shout out to all the trail workers making life better for me! smile <3
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: The shape of the future? - 11/15/19 06:15 PM

I'm all for state/county-federal partnerships to improve recreation, but am not for ceding federal lands and resources to local control. Those can go sideways in a heartbeat.

It would be nice to see Forest Service, NPS and Interior with adequate funding on the levels of 30 years ago. Even road maintenance would be nice, so you don't destroy your car getting to the trailhead.