GORP

Posted by: PaHiker

GORP - 09/09/19 06:54 PM

I'm teaching a backpacking class this weekend and I thought it would be fun to include some GORP recipes. We all eat it, most of us make it (or have), what is your favorite recipe?
Posted by: aimless

Re: GORP - 09/09/19 07:02 PM

Be sure to explain to your class that GORP is an acronym for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts. Which 'recipe' is till a big favorite among traditionalists and purists.

Re: GORP - 09/09/19 07:08 PM

Already done! 👌
Posted by: BZH

Re: GORP - 09/09/19 07:40 PM

I prefer deconstructed GORP.... meaning I bring the components separately and mix them together however I feel at the time of eating them. I usually bring in separate bags: dried fruit (blueberries are a favorite), dried nuts (I like cashews, one of my kids likes peanuts, the other one I'm sure likes something else), chocolate chips, and M&M's. It makes it easier to choose what you want in your oatmeal too (this is also why I bring both chocolate chips and M&M's).
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: GORP - 09/10/19 01:01 AM

Equal parts raisins, craisins, dark chocolate M&Ms,and at least two kinds of nuts: pecans, cashews, almonds, walnuts...

And a bit of candied ginger for spice...
Posted by: aimless

Re: GORP - 09/10/19 01:11 AM

I used to include M&Ms and sometimes roasted sunflowers seeds, but now I usually stick to some combination of peanuts, almonds, walnuts, raisins, dried cranberries, sesame sticks and a bit of candied ginger for spice. Not all of those at once, but a generous selection.

Rarely, I'll add shelled pistachios just for the luxury of it. No cashews because my wife is allergic to them.
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: GORP - 09/10/19 03:35 AM

I get the "Pacific Crest Trail Mix" in bulk at Winco. Raisins, peanuts, sunflower seeds and chocolate chips.

They have numerous other varieties...not sure if Winco is a national chain.

Re: GORP - 09/10/19 03:49 AM

Candied ginger? That sounds interesting, and different.

Re: GORP - 09/10/19 03:51 AM

Wow! Two people with candied ginger. I must be missing out on something, going to have to give it a shot.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: GORP - 09/10/19 09:59 AM

I've only made it once, but it was more or less equal parts raisins, peanuts, and M&M's. And, I waaay overestimated how much I would eat. I think I still had over half of it at the end of the trip. It was good, but it was really dense and filling.
Posted by: wgiles

Re: GORP - 09/10/19 08:47 PM

I throw some Cheerios (or Honey Nut Cheerios) into the mix to lighten it up.