Anyone recognize this pack?

Posted by: willie1280

Anyone recognize this pack? - 07/18/19 11:04 AM

Prepping for a trip this weekend and thought about ditching my Osprey and going retro with my very first pack from the early 90’s a Kelty external frame.

Can anyone tell me what mode this is so I can google some specs and details about it?

It seems to still fit pretty good even though it appears to be a small/medium?

It feels like it might be sitting a little high though...wonder if i can adjust it.
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Anyone recognize this pack? - 07/19/19 06:07 AM

It might be the Tioga, not sure. But it looks like it's actually too small for you. On an external frame pack, the shoulder straps should go straight back or at a slightly upward angle, assuming there are no "load lifter" straps. Yours may have them, just not connected. You can gain a little adjustment by moving the upper attachment point of the shoulder straps to the top of the cross member instead of the bottom. And the hipbelt can be moved up or down a bit.

Some Kelty packs were advertised as having an "adjustable frame." I'm not sure how that worked...maybe yours is one of them.
Posted by: willie1280

Re: Anyone recognize this pack? - 07/19/19 08:04 AM

I actually made those exact adjustments last night.
I moved the should straps up an entire level so that the attachment point is just below horizontal. I then moved the load lifters all the way up so they are at about a 40 degree angle. I also move the should straps out a little wider. I gotta say, this pack feels better than my Osprey Aether 85 pack now!! If only the padding in the straps and hip belt were nice and soft like my Osprey, i think i'd switch back over for good!

Yeah i'm pretty sure it's a Tioga, just not sure which one. My Kelty logo isn't centered like all the others i've seen. Also, that large top flap on mine use a braided cord and 2 hooks to secure it down where as all the photos i've found for Tioga use a nylon strap and buckle.