Do you like coffee while backpacking?

Posted by: willie1280

Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 07/18/19 08:48 AM

Boy have i found the perfect thing last night!

I'm a bit of a coffee snob so i typically grind all my beans at home and then take my JetBoil stove and the JetBoil french press kit for on the trail. Anyways, anyone that's used this setup knows its a bit of a mess to clean up on the trail, especially if water is scarce. So last night while at WalMart stocking up on Ramen and Instant potatoes for this weekends trip, i cruised through the coffee aisle to see what was out there for GOOD coffee but in the tea bag type setup.

That's when i came across these guys: https://reborncoffee.com/
They were $1ea and that store only had the single origin guataemala flavor. I just tried one this morning and it's fricken awesome and the most genius thing i've used in a long time. Plus, it's 100% recyclable!! I'm now on the hunt to find more flavors, hopefully local and for the same $1 price as Reborn charges around $2ea on their website.

Let me know if anyone else has used these and if you love them as much i do!
Posted by: Pika

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 07/18/19 09:32 AM

I’m more of a coffee lowbrow although I do prefer Arabica to the Central American varieties. I don’t carry special coffee-making stuff because of the weight. I just put some good instant in a plastic bag and use that as needed. Serves my purposes😀.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 07/18/19 09:40 AM

I prefer good coffee, but I'm not above drinking pretty much anything. So, while at home I cold brew Kona in a french press, on the trail I use instant and cover it up with some Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate flavor).
Posted by: willie1280

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 07/18/19 11:00 AM

I ordered another brand called Kuju on Amazon. Same concept, but different flavors and similar price.

Also found a place that sells those disposable filters like the 2 brands i've mentioned thus far. This way you can bring your own grounds. Might give that a whirl as well.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 07/19/19 04:31 PM

Slick--may have to try that!

I've settled on SBucks Via packets as the best balance for me in the hassle/taste battleground. I've used pretty much every method imaginable at some point. If only I were a tea drinker.
Posted by: lee white

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 09/02/19 09:51 PM

yes, of course!
Posted by: tramp

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 09/02/19 09:56 PM

Absolutely.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 09/02/19 11:13 PM

On trips of a few days I'll bring instant coffee. When I'm on a longer backpack, of more than five days, I tend to do without coffee in order to save the weight for fuel and save the time and trouble of boiling water in the morning. For me it's a nicety, not a necessity, probably because at home I only drink one cup a day, even when I have a full kitchen in which to prepare breakfast. I know this makes me an outlier.
Posted by: sha6mm

Re: Do you like coffee while backpacking? - 10/01/19 09:39 PM

Yes instant Folgers in single servings & Tea bags Lipton. I’m a simple Man.