Who needs a campfire?

Posted by: balzaccom

Who needs a campfire? - 06/27/19 11:00 AM

We were stunned to see this particular RV in a Page, Arizona Campground, overlooking the red sandstone and sky blue waters of Lake Powell. Yes, this is a camper who has rigged a video projector to his RV so that he and his kids can watch movies instead of look at the stars. Which makes you wonder why they don't just stay home and do the same thing. Amazing.

https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1Q...ml0UXJCMWFqbDZR
Posted by: aimless

Re: Who needs a campfire? - 06/27/19 12:18 PM

I often wonder at things people do, but then I remember that human brains are not at all the kind of reliable thinking apparatus that humans often believe them to be. This is something I've learned by taking very long solo hikes where I got a good chance to see my own brain at work.

btw, that link took me to several hundred photos of your SW trip, but I finally did find the one you were referencing.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Who needs a campfire? - 06/27/19 02:14 PM

Given the choice between watching a movie in a beautiful outdoor setting on a nice night and watching a movie indoors, I think I'd rather watch outdoors as well. What I don't get is subjecting everyone else there to their movie, who may/probably didn't want to watch at that time or place. It's the same problem I have with people walking around in public blaring music from their phones or using speakerphone. It's just inconsiderate.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Who needs a campfire? - 06/27/19 08:29 PM

Fair enough. I've been camping for more than sixty years and never seen anything like it, but I am also first to admit that I'm about that many years behind the latest technology...

It does remind me of a bus trip I took forty-five years ago across the north end of Scotland. As we drove through a rainstorm we passed a guy riding a bicycle in full kilt and regalia with a banjo strapped to his back. The bus driver and I took this in, and then the driver turned to me and said with a wink: "Ach, it's amazin' what you'll see when you haven't got yer gun..."
Posted by: tramp

Re: Who needs a campfire? - 06/28/19 12:49 PM

Ah it's a campground catering to those whose definition of camping is skewed from ours. Let them enjoy as they see fit.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Who needs a campfire? - 07/16/19 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By Margarette
I feel like campfire is necessary to complete the camping experience.

I like a nice campfire, but in some of the most spectacular places I have been campfires are illegal because they are so very detrimental to the nature I am there to see. My enjoyment should not destroy what I am there to enjoy.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Who needs a campfire? - 07/16/19 08:55 PM

Quote:
I feel like campfire is necessary to complete the camping experience.

Then you definitely don't want to backpack west of the Mississippi. Out here in the west, fires are increasingly banned for most of the backpacking season (which corresponds to forest fire season). Even if it's unusually wet, fires are often illegal above a certain altitude (due to a shortage of fuels) or in popular areas.
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Who needs a campfire? - 07/20/19 09:42 PM

I think that that poster missed the point of the original post.